Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Des » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone point me at any on-line resources which might help me to gently
transition from OpenGL to Direct3D retained mode? Failing that can anyone
recommend a good book?
First impressions are that there is a very strong (almost one to one)
correspondence. Would anyone care to point out the main differences?

Many thanks
Des

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Pablo de Heras Ciechomsk » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Please don't. RM is dead and it corpse stinks of the foulness of the dead.

--
/Pablo de Heras Ciechomski
Computer Science and Technology student

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Nick » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The examples that come with DX are okay for learning it and the help file is
good. I dont think M$ are planning to develop RM any further after DX7 so bare
this in mind. You'll need full DX7 installation I think.

Quote:> Can anyone point me at any on-line resources which might help me to gently
> transition from OpenGL to Direct3D retained mode? Failing that can anyone
> recommend a good book?
> First impressions are that there is a very strong (almost one to one)
> correspondence. Would anyone care to point out the main differences?

> Many thanks
> Des

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Des » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Please don't. RM is dead and it corpse stinks of the foulness of the dead.

Gosh, close your eyes for a second in this business and you're history ;-)
So what's replaced it?

Thanks
Des

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Pablo de Heras Ciechomsk » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

RM is still working due to COM architecture, but it's no longer maintained.
The last version was the one in DX6. DX7 didn't release any new interfaces
for RM.

I did the opposite. I switched from RM to OpenGL :)
--
/Pablo de Heras Ciechomski
Computer Science and Technology student
at Lund Institute of Technology in Sweden

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Nick » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Dont know, but M$ were in discussion with SGI for a long time developing (I
think) Faraheit which was a cross between DX and OpenGL. ie. I think it has
better scene graph support and better low level (hardware) than GL. Anyway its
all fallen through as no doubt M$ started making demands (in their business
interest) rather than discussing things. I think DX8 or 9 will incorporate some
of the work done? So RM has become redundant. Oh it was okay for knocking stuff
up quickly!

Please feel free to correct me anyone!

> > Please don't. RM is dead and it corpse stinks of the foulness of the dead.

> Gosh, close your eyes for a second in this business and you're history ;-)
> So what's replaced it?

> Thanks
> Des

Direct3D Retained Mode

Quote:>First impressions are that there is a very strong (almost one to one)

<http://www.veryComputer.com/~legalize/d3d-vs-opengl.html>
--
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~legalize/>       Legalize *hood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Des » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks to Nick and Pablo

I have in fact had some experience of Cosmo3D/Optimiser which was supposed
to be the SGI half of the Fahrenheit deal.
Quite a nice interface - very much like the SGI Inventor interface with
which I am very familiar.
However, it seemed a bit slow on my PC compared to Direct3D apps - though
the shading looked better.

I was very disappointed when the MS/SGI deal fell through.

In my case, I may be picking up support for an existing D3DRM app so I'll
probably have no choice in the short term.

So is there any decent scene graph based API for Direct3D?

Thanks again Des

Direct3D Retained Mode

Post by Nick » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You shouldnt need an API as RM contains coordinate frames into which you add
objects. They are hierarchial. Your camera and scene are frames. I dont think RM
is all that bad really. I just cant imagine its that fast to build/update your
graph when you're rendering (as its COM) if you're doing anything complex, eg.
portal renderer etc.

Quote:

> Thanks to Nick and Pablo

> I have in fact had some experience of Cosmo3D/Optimiser which was supposed
> to be the SGI half of the Fahrenheit deal.
> Quite a nice interface - very much like the SGI Inventor interface with
> which I am very familiar.
> However, it seemed a bit slow on my PC compared to Direct3D apps - though
> the shading looked better.

> I was very disappointed when the MS/SGI deal fell through.

> In my case, I may be picking up support for an existing D3DRM app so I'll
> probably have no choice in the short term.

> So is there any decent scene graph based API for Direct3D?

> Thanks again Des

1. Newbie Direct3D Retained Mode Question...

Having just gotten some of my first D3DRM code running, I immediatley
noticed that when D3DRM draws my objects to the back buffer, it draws
them on a white background... And if you translate or rotate the
object the little white bounding boxes just move with it... Basically
what I want is like when you're blitting a sprite and you leave out
transparent colors... BUT I'd rather not have to use some
OFFSCREENPLAIN surface as the target 3D surface and then do a
transparent blit... isn't their some way to tell RM not to draw those
bounding white boxes?

2. Artists, Please Read

3. 3DFX supported by Direct3D retained mode?

4. Interview

5. Troubles with RayPick (Direct3D Retained Mode)

6. Link Error in VC++

7. Direct3d Retained Mode Application

8. Custom Brushes..some work, some don't, why?

9. Direct3D retained mode (EInvalidOp)

10. errors with Direct3D Retained Mode

11. Drawing lines in Direct3D Retained Mode

12. Direct3D Retained mode docs...

13. what's the difference between immediate mode and retained mode