Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

Post by Anis Ahma » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've been looking for good (preferably dynamic) visibility algorithms for
dense polyhedral environments.

The only candidate I've found which I liked was Hierarchial Occlusion Maps.

Does anybody know of any other methods?

-- Anis Ahmad

Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

Post by Anis Ahma » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've been looking for good (preferably dynamic) visibility algorithms for
>dense polyhedral environments.

By dense, I mean really DENSE, as in, containing tessellated NURBS patches.

-- Anis Ahmad

Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

Post by Matt Phar » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >I've been looking for good (preferably dynamic) visibility algorithms for
> >dense polyhedral environments.

> By dense, I mean really DENSE, as in, containing tessellated NURBS patches.

You might want to look at some of the work that Subodh Kumar and Dinesh
Manocha have been doing--<URL:http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~subodh> and
<URL:http://www.cs.unc.edu/~manocha>--they've developed some nice
algorithms for efficient interactive rendering of scenes with many trimmed
NURBS.

As I understand it, this stuff is less tuned toward dealing with dense
occlusion, though, and is more geared toward making the
not-densely-occluded case as fast as possible.  Thus, it should be
complementary to standard visibility algorithms for densely occluded
environments (portals (e.g. Seth Teller's stuff:
<URL:http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~seth>), or the other visibility stuff
from UNC (<URL:http://www.cs.unc.edu/~walk).

-matt
--