Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

 Hiya

 My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

--
Catch ya later

JAB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by Jon Hasselgr » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hiya

> My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
>time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

If you are interested in 3d graphics you could probably use javagl

Jon

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by Jon A. Cru » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > Hiya

> > My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
> >time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> If you are interested in 3d graphics you could probably use javagl

> Jon

Either that, or the official standard extension of Java3D. It's getting
more mature.

* Requires Java2
* On MS Windows is implemented on top of either Direct3D or OpenGL
* On Solaris is implemented on top of OpenGL
* On Linux is implemented on top  of Mesa
* On Irix is implemented on top of OpenGL
* HP-UX coming soon.

etc.

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html

and/or look at Java2's Java 2D

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/index.html

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > > Hiya

> > > My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
> > >time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> > If you are interested in 3d graphics you could probably use javagl

> > Jon

> Either that, or the official standard extension of Java3D. It's getting
> more mature.

> * Requires Java2
> * On MS Windows is implemented on top of either Direct3D or OpenGL
> * On Solaris is implemented on top of OpenGL
> * On Linux is implemented on top  of Mesa
> * On Irix is implemented on top of OpenGL
> * HP-UX coming soon.

> etc.

> http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html

> and/or look at Java2's Java 2D

> http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/index.html

 Is this the only way of doing things fast? I thought the Java demo scene
was using pure Java. Is the only way of doing fast gfx in Java Libaries?

--

Post by sh0d » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>  My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
> time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

Relies on how you define 'realtime', and 'high speed'.

In general yes, you can get a performance at about a third of optimized
assembler code, when talking pure math (generally speaking). The
rendering problem presents another problem. If you use software, you
should probably stay below 5000 faces, for it ro run on nowadays
computers. This has something to do with the constant Index-checking of
arrays, and every write/read you do on an array takes more time than
doing the same on machine-level. In hardware this problem is not that
big, as it only has to do everything on a face-base level (not pixel-,
as software).

A thing to look very much out for, when doing realtime stuff is the
memoryallocation, as the garbagecollector can interupt the flow, if your
code dynamicaly allocates new objects as it runs, and thereby causes the
GC to run.

I recently pointed to some realtime (software) rendering software, on
your homepage, in the 'Real Time Animation in Java'-thread. There you
can also see an many good links for realtime java-code and references.

/sh0dan.

Doing Java Code for VoxPod Enterprises -:/\:- http://voxpod.dk

[email reply: Remove uppercase characters from my email address]

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by Gaffe » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > Hiya

> > My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
> >time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> If you are interested in 3d graphics you could probably use javagl

if you are interested in 2d graphics, or doing software 3d by writing direct
to a frame buffer, try OpenPTC for Java.

www.gaffer.org/distributions/Java

cheers

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by brian crowle » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I think you have to be pretty specific about the requirements of
the system, available hardware, etc...

Brian C.

>  Hiya

>  My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed real
> time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> --
> Catch ya later

> JAB

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I think you have to be pretty specific about the requirements of
> the system, available hardware, etc...

> Brian C.

 It's just a standard Java Virtual machine. I don't want anything to be
more specific then that. I've just come from the Acorn , now I want the
other extream were eveyerone can see you're work instead of next to
no-one.

--
Catch ya later

JAB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > > Hiya

> > > My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed
real
> > >time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> > If you are interested in 3d graphics you could probably use javagl

> if you are interested in 2d graphics, or doing software 3d by writing
direct
> to a frame buffer, try OpenPTC for Java.

 Sounds intersting...... I might have to have a play with that.

Quote:

> www.gaffer.org/distributions/Java

 Got it. I ->will<- have a play. The URL is wrong by the way. But the
important bit is right (www.gaffer.org). Cheers.

--
Catch ya later

JAB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >  My question is the the subject. Is it possible to do high speed
real
> > time gfx in pure Java. How? Any references anyone can surgest?

> Relies on how you define 'realtime', and 'high speed'.

 Above 10 fps very atleast.

Quote:

> In general yes, you can get a performance at about a third of
optimized
> assembler code, when talking pure math (generally speaking). The
> rendering problem presents another problem. If you use software, you
> should probably stay below 5000 faces, for it ro run on nowadays
> computers. This has something to do with the constant Index-checking
of
> arrays, and every write/read you do on an array takes more time than
> doing the same on machine-level. In hardware this problem is not that
> big, as it only has to do everything on a face-base level (not pixel-,
> as software).

> A thing to look very much out for, when doing realtime stuff is the
> memoryallocation, as the garbagecollector can interupt the flow, if
your
> code dynamicaly allocates new objects as it runs, and thereby causes
the
> GC to run.

 So... is it quicker to use one big 1D array rather then a 2D one?
Minisie array work? How bad is this? Hows it effect using look up
tables? Is it best to wrok simple things out on the fly? (Like using cos
and sin from math functions rather then from a lookup).

Quote:

> I recently pointed to some realtime (software) rendering software, on
> your homepage, in the 'Real Time Animation in Java'-thread. There you
> can also see an many good links for realtime java-code and references.

 I'll have a look.

 Cheers.

--
Catch ya later

JAB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by Gaffe » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > if you are interested in 2d graphics, or doing software 3d by writing
> direct
> > to a frame buffer, try OpenPTC for Java.

>  Sounds intersting...... I might have to have a play with that.

> > www.gaffer.org/distributions/Java

>  Got it. I ->will<- have a play. The URL is wrong by the way. But the
> important bit is right (www.gaffer.org). Cheers.

yeah, my mistake, should have been
http://www.gaffer.org/ptc/distributions/Java

cheerio =)

Fast gfx work in Java.

Post by JAB » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > > if you are interested in 2d graphics, or doing software 3d by writing
> > direct
> > > to a frame buffer, try OpenPTC for Java.

> >  Sounds intersting...... I might have to have a play with that.

> > > www.gaffer.org/distributions/Java

> >  Got it. I ->will<- have a play. The URL is wrong by the way. But the
> > important bit is right (www.gaffer.org). Cheers.

> yeah, my mistake, should have been
> http://www.gaffer.org/ptc/distributions/Java

> cheerio =)

 I've got it. I will have a look if the way someone was telling me might
work turns out too slow or not possible. As I siad I really want to avoid
using liabraies if I can, but I will use a simple 2D one for display if I
have too. Cheers. We shall see in a couple of days if I need to learn it.

--
Catch ya later

JAB

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Java for fast gfx.

Is there any (supported) way I can use Java to program 3D graphics
at the same level as OpenGL?
Will there be official changes to OpenGl, allowing us to use full
screen exclusive mode and change color mode and resolution,
or will other companies let Microsoft have "monopoly" on this so that
it is impossible to make games for other platforms than Wintel?

- Jon Olav

2. Images...

3. Java Gfx Filters in JDK 1.2

4. Sony LVR-5000A CRV Laserdisc Recorder/Player

5. GFX boards - how can I make Max fast?

6. ! ! ! ! CHECK OUT AMNESIA ! ! ! !

7. fast multi-thread gfx

8. cgm graphic format

9. LOOKING FOR WORK -- experienced GFX artist

10. Gfx artist needed....(for paid work!)

11. Working with GFX files??

12. more work done on my site - gfx made with PSP6

13. WANTED: an experienced demo/gfx CODER to work with VBE 2.0