Merging unit sqaures into non-overlapping rectangles

Merging unit sqaures into non-overlapping rectangles

Post by Mark Rubi » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Apologies if this turns out to be a repost, but I'm not sure my first
attempt made it through.

I'm looking for an algorithm that will take a set of unit squares in 2D
space and output the smallest number of rectangles that cover all and
only the unit squares.  The algorithm doesn't have to be optimal, and I
can even tolerate some overlapping rectangles in the output (if that
helps), although I would prefer it if these were limited.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Merging Overlapping TIFF Images

I have a need to scan images into a 256-grayscale TIFF file that are larger
than the standard flatbed scanners, which only deal with 8.5 x 11 and 8.5 x 14
inch images.  I will therefore have to scan in two overlapping segments and
merge them in software.  It seems likely that this has already been done
before.  Does anyone know of an algortihm or software to accomplish this?

I believe I know how to discard the redundant areas of the image and merge
them, but my algorithm will not work unless both images are EXACTLY aligned.
Since I'm dealing with a variety of images, I can't rely upon a common edge or
boundary to align them.

2. Splitting polygons

3. Source code for drawing a polygon (HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPP!)

4. Overlapping rectangles -- HELP

5. Realistic Looking Sea Waves

6. Checking rectangle overlap in a plane

7. Accessing VGA's memory directly. - vga.txt [1/1]

8. Overlap of Rectangles

9. Checking rectangle overlap in a plane

10. Moving rectangles to avoid overlapping

11. area of rectangles overlap algorithm needed