Radial interpolation - what is it?

Post by Karl DeBissch » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone heard of a technique called radial interpolation?

It was mentioned to me in conversation, but I have no real
idea what the techniques involves.  Either references or
code would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Karl DeBisschop

Post by Barthold Lichtenbe » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: Has anyone heard of a technique called radial interpolation?

Since you're not giving very much information, I'm purely guessing here,
but it might be that one has original datapoints on a circle (i.e. non
regular gridded) and wants to interpolate datapoints in between. This
you'll e.g. find in the reconstruction algorithms in CT scanners.

Take a look at chapter 7.3 in this book:
D. Dudgeon, Multidimensional Signal Processing, Prentice Hall, N.J. 1984

Barthold

--
Barthold Lichtenbelt                 |       Hewlett Packard Company
Graphics Software Lab                |       3404 East Harmony Road
                                     |       MS-74
(970) 229 6974  fax: (970) 229 4319  |       Fort Collins, CO 80525

1. Fast interpolation using radial basis functions

I have a problem of interpolating a 2D motion field. What I know is that the
motion field will be smooth (NO discontinuity) and I have some holes in it
which I need to fill. My data size is rather large: several thousands data
points and several thousand places to be interpolated as well. At the moment
I am trying to treat the horizontal and vertical component as two separate
2D surfaces and interpolate them separately using radial basis functions.
The trouble is: evaluating the coefficients for the RBFs from first
principles (i.e. inverting big matrices) is too time and memory consuming.
Does anyone out there know of a iterative method to solve the problem? I
would like an algorithm which is not too mathematical to understand.
Any help will be appreciated.

2. Compuserve Newsgroup?

3. HELP WITH A LOGO - PLZ READ THIS

4. radial point selection and radial tripple plugin.

5. Help : Replacing linear interpolation with spline based interpolation

6. interpolation or not interpolation when enlarging

7. Q: bicubic interpolation/2-dim interpolation functions

8. Help : Replacing linear interpolation with spline based interpolation

9. Hi, I am doing a paper on 3D-boards, and I am looking for definitions