Wavelet Transforms

Post by pradeep raghav » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:55:52

Is there any way wavelet transforms can be
applied when

1) Input size is not 2^n

2) For rectangular input ie , x != y , as in the case of images.

Please let me know.

-Pradeep

Wavelet Transforms

Post by Chris DeCo » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 09:31:08

> Is there any way wavelet transforms can be
> applied when

> 1) Input size is not 2^n

I think many applications simply pad the input size.  I know that for
image compression in particular, many algorithms break up the image
into 8x8 or other relativly small fixed 2^n by 2^n blocks, so as to
only require a small amount of padding.

Quote:> 2) For rectangular input ie , x != y , as in the case of images.

If you were to transform each row first, and then transform the
columns (or vice versa) then it seems that it wouldnt matter if x !=
y.

I liked the examples given in "Wavelets for Computer Graphics", by
Stollnitz, et. al.  You might find that book useful.

Chris DeCoro