!! HELP REQUIRED !!

Post by XAoS » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:30:58

Hi, I am writing, because I am currently trying to implement a 3 Dimentional
simulation.  It will take the form of a simple flight simulator.  I have
dabbled in 3d graphics before, with a few glenz vectors, jelly cubes etc..
But I do not know *anything* about rotating a world around a player, as
normally I have only had one object, so things have been pretty static.
The things I need to know are, how do I set up data structures to store all
the landscape coordinates and vertex lists etc...  And also how do I perform
the various rotations with enough speed to make it look smooth?  Do I need
to rotate *all* the world or just the world in my FOV?  ANY HELP will be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Craig ;)

!! HELP REQUIRED !!

Post by Rob van der Ouder » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, I am writing, because I am currently trying to implement a 3 Dimentional
: simulation.  It will take the form of a simple flight simulator.  I have
: dabbled in 3d graphics before, with a few glenz vectors, jelly cubes etc..
: But I do not know *anything* about rotating a world around a player, as
: normally I have only had one object, so things have been pretty static.
: The things I need to know are, how do I set up data structures to store all
: the landscape coordinates and vertex lists etc...  And also how do I perform
: the various rotations with enough speed to make it look smooth?  Do I need
: to rotate *all* the world or just the world in my FOV?  ANY HELP will be
: greatly appreciated!

Hello Craig,

In the book Graphics Gems I there is an algorithm to specify a viewing window
for an arbitrary position in your world in an arbitrary direction.

[Gems I]
    Graphics Gems,
    Andrew Glassner (ed.), Academic Press 1990, ISBN 0-12-286165-5

The location for the source of this book is in the algorithms FAQ :

    Graphics Gems source code.
    ftp://princeton.edu:pub/Graphics/GraphicsGems

I think you could use it to specify the view from out of your*pit.

The world would probably consists of a lot of 3D polygones. However you need
to find a way to only calculate projections of the 3D polygones on your screen
that are actually visible. This means that things get only calculated in the
direction you are looking at.

Hope this helps,

        Rob

1. QUESTION: RLE COMPRESSION in BMP file format: !HELP REQUIRED!

Dear All;

I know you have probably been asked this question 100000000 times but no
one seems to be able to answer it; that is.

I know that BMP file format supports RLE compression as in one of it`s
header fields you have a flag that you set. But does this mean it will
automatically run length encode and decode or do I have to write my own
RLE encoding and decoding routines.

Please any help appreciated.

Thank you (in advance) for any help

../Mohsin Sameen

___________________________________________________/

2. iBook and VGA Video Output vs. Composite Video Output

3. SI motion capture -> Alias : help required.

4. Looking for a Junior Graphic Designer

5. LOD & Tweening Formulae - Help Required.

6. FS: Poser2 and Ray Dream 3D

7. _URGENT Help Required - Corrupted Graphics

8. Finding a point inside a polygon

9. HELP REQUIRED

10. Help Required

11. Help required with offscreen rendering

12. vb3 graphics help required!!!!!!!!!!!!