Compressing terrain information

Post by A. Rollin » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I saw a reference in this newsgroup last night, which my news server decided
to delete before I could save ;-(

The claim was that sampled grid heights for a terrain could be losslessly
compressed to around 2 bits per sample, and the reference was to an ftp site
with more information ...

Could some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andrew xxx

1. how to get depth information from a picture of a terrain surface

hi,

I have some pictures of mars surface taken from a satellite. now I
have to find out the depth information from the surface terrain. once
depth information of each pixel is (somehow) obtained I have to render
the surface in 3D in opengl. now I am unable to find a way to find
depth information from a picture. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
RC

2. Raised Text Effect - How?

3. Errors in 1.1.x?

4. compress or not to compress

5. any Powerpoint comments??

6. i made appz information ftp as web information center

7. How to Read/Write Information Interchange Model (IIM) information from JPEG Image

8. Compressing terrain maps. Do YOU know how to?

9. how do i compress a movie?

10. compressing jpegs

11. Tool for zooming compressed BMP on webpages