Explaination of sphere maps

Post by fj » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:29:40

Hi,
Can anybody point me to a good resource for environment mapping/sphere
mapping, esp OpenGL related
TIA
-fj

Explaination of sphere maps

Post by Just d' FAQ » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:44:08

Quote:>Can anybody point me to a good resource for environment mapping/sphere
>mapping, esp OpenGL related

While not OpenGL based, Heckbert's discussion is a classic.

  <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ph/>

And of course there is a newsgroup devoted to OpenGL specifics.

Explaination of sphere maps

Post by fj » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:55:25

Quote:

> While not OpenGL based, Heckbert's discussion is a classic.

>   <http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ph/>

I couldnt find anything relevant on this page. The best ones were a paper on
the Survey of Texture mapping, and a bibliography of texture
mapping/warping.
I googled on "sphere map" and "environment map" and the best I could find
was www.sgi.com/software/opengl/advanced97/ notes/node95.html
This link is pretty good in giving an overall explanation of what's to be
done in OpenGL, but I'm looking for something more meaty.

> And of course there is a newsgroup devoted to OpenGL specifics.

I'm looking for primarily a theoretical treatment of the subject, but if
code examples are given I'd prefer them in OpenGL. Thats all.

TIA
-fj

Post by Just d' FAQ » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:00:36

>I'm looking for primarily a theoretical treatment of the subject, but if
>code examples are given I'd prefer them in OpenGL. Thats all.

OK, let's try again. Are you able to run this applet and does it help?

<http://www.cs.brown.edu/exploratories/freeSoftware/repository/edu/bro...>

Explaination of sphere maps

Post by Vincent DAVI » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:58:43

What about NeHe OpenGL tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net ?
I'm sure he has a tutorial on it.

> Hi,
> Can anybody point me to a good resource for environment mapping/sphere
> mapping, esp OpenGL related
> TIA
> -fj

1. Planet maps to map onto a sphere in POV-Ray

A long time ago I found a site that had maps of most of the planets
and moons in the Solar System, for mapping onto a sphere. Now, I
cannot find that page! Does anyone know of such a place?

Specifically, I need very high resolution (the higher the better, this
is for a commercial product :) maps of the Earth, both (Or either, I'm
not too picky at this stage) real-color (Greens, browns, and blues)
and the kind you'd see on a globe or Mercator map (Light blue oceans
and multicolored countries)

Thanks in advance.

--Wesley Clifford
Sweeping generalizations always have exceptions, even this one.

2. Morphing on your home PC

3. Regular Grids on Spheres / Sphere Tilings / Equal distribution of points on a sphere

4. printer spreads?

5. 3D Studio vacuum explaination.

6. from 2d image to 3d model

7. TPixelFormat explaination

8. Computer Graphics and Design

9. POV-Ray image mapped onto sphere colors washed out

10. Heightfield mapping on sphere

11. mapping onto a sphere

12. POV: Mapping a bitmap to a sphere

13. how to map a sphere