image comparison

Post by Elliot Englis » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:52:55

What are some common algorithms for finding similar areas within images? I
am primarily concerned with shape but adding color isn't a bad idea. I have
considered taking the source area and comparing it with areas of similar
size, using a threshold value to determine whether it is similar or not.
However this could be very time consuming. How could this be optimized and
what alternatives are there?

image comparison

Post by Michael Vittru » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:52:59

>What are some common algorithms for finding similar areas within images? I
>am primarily concerned with shape but adding color isn't a bad idea. I have
>considered taking the source area and comparing it with areas of similar
>size, using a threshold value to determine whether it is similar or not.
>However this could be very time consuming. How could this be optimized and
>what alternatives are there?

Lots of alternatives - one alternative being the fact that asking in
sci.image.processing MAY give you more and better answers? :o)

...and if you search the group (Using google), I'm pretty sure you'll find
something of use :)

  // Michael

1. image comparison package?

hi all,
what i imagine is a software library with a function you can call on 2
images which returns a value describing how equal they are (ie. 100% if
they are equal, and something like a couple random % if they have
nothing in common, and a relatively high % number if they show the same
image, but are different in size or there are some random errors).
does anybody know of a free, preferrably portable, preferrably C or C++
library which can accomplish this?
thx, helge.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Gainward Ti4600 Giveaway on Sept 25th: Postproductionforum.com

3. Electric Image comparison?

4. No texture in single buffer mode

5. Image comparison

6. 3-D Guitar Model Available

7. Image comparison algorithm ?

8. rgb-cmyk

9. Image comparison

10. looking for routines (algorithms) to do image comparison

11. Image Comparison

12. Image Comparison or Deltas

13. image comparison algorithms/software