which coordinate system is better ?

Post by mura » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:48:22

Hello everyone,

I was reading a book regarding designing 3D games, the author while
trying to explain about different coordinate spaces poses this
question

Which Coordinate space is the most appropriate in which to ask the
following questions ? (object, inertial,camera or world)

is the book east or west of me ?

the book answer is "Intertial space is the easiest to make this test"

I'm thinking that if the book's x-coord +ve in the object axis(of me)
then the book  is at east and if its -ve then the book is at west.

Do any of you have a more convincing answer to support/refute my claim
??.

Thanks,
Murali.

Post by Stephen H. West » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:59:45

> Hello everyone,

> I was reading a book regarding designing 3D games, the author while
> trying to explain about different coordinate spaces poses this
> question

> Which Coordinate space is the most appropriate in which to ask the
> following questions ? (object, inertial,camera or world)

> is the book east or west of me ?

> the book answer is "Intertial space is the easiest to make this test"

> I'm thinking that if the book's x-coord +ve in the object axis(of me)
> then the book  is at east and if its -ve then the book is at west.

Until you turn around, that is. "East" and "West" are world-space
concepts; the equivalent in object space is "left" and "right".

Quote:> Do any of you have a more convincing answer to support/refute my claim

--
-Stephen H. Westin

1. Right hand coordinate system to RenderMan's default coordinate system

Hi,

    I am using a plugin called am2rib which exports a model in Animation
Master to a RIB file, the catch with that plugin is that you have to edit
the camera information by hand. I tried the author's (currently non
contactable) approach but am getting nowhere.

    Animation Master defaults to the right hand coordinate system. I came to
that conculsion becuase I saw the following xyz axis on the 3D screen

               |____ X
              /
             /
            /

    Am I correct ?

    How do I map a camera in that coordinate space at

    position (x,y,z)
    rotation (rho,theta,gamma)

    to a RIB compatible position and orientation.

Cheers
--
Nicholas Yue
http://www.geocities.com/nicholas_yue

2. printing problem

3. local coordinate system in respect to world coordinate system

4. Autocontrast algorithm ?

5. Right-handed coordinate system TO left-handed coordinate system

6. upgrade 1.1.25 to 1.2.1 problems (RH 7.0)

7. Getting Coordinates in "Plane coordinate system"

8. What system might be best for Machinima system?

9. MH3D or AM, particle systems?

10. Purpose of Object Local Coordinate System in 3ds models

11. need a polar coordinate color system

12. Moray coordinate system