Q: best 3D polygon clipper?

Post by Mikael Petterss » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 21:47:44

What is the best (computationally least expensive) known algorithm
for clipping polygons in 3D against an upright parallel view volume?
(Actually, my application needs no yon plane: zMax is +infinity.)

Is there a 3D version of Liang-Barsky's 2D polygon clipper?
--
Mikael Pettersson, Dept of Comp & Info Sci, University of Linkoping, Sweden

1. Best source of Weiler(80) polygon clipper?

OK, the Apple library [Imagine that! I went to a library to look for
algorithms!] finally got me a copy of Weiler's 1980 paper describing his
polygon clipper. Many people have implemented this algorithm, but the paper
itself is surprisingly short and sketchy on the details. Is there a longer,
more in-depth source, or has everyone had to fill in the details themselves?
(He has a master's thesis from '77, but it describes the earlier
Weiler/Atherton algorithm.)

For those who care, I have given up completely on Vatti's half-baked clipper
and will be implementing Kilgour(87) instead. But I want a good description
of Weiler(80) for my records.

                                    This sound has no waves
--Jens Alfke                        This sound has no waves

            .apple.com              Through fog and other grey things
                                                  --Dog Faced Hermans

2. diffuse()

3. 3D polygon clippers

4. Graphics cards, Athlons and Lightwave

5. ANNOUNCE: General Polygon Clipper Library

6. <<<< LOGO DESIGN <<<<

7. ANNOUNCE: General Polygon Clipper library

8. POV-Ray and Linux and SVGA-lib

9. looking for polygon clipper

10. Weiler-Atherton polygon clipper

11. Weiler-Atherton Polygon Clipper??

12. Two pass polygon clipper source for download.

13. Liang-Barsky 2D polygon clipper ; beginner problem