Closest point on a 3d-Line to a point in 3d-space

Closest point on a 3d-Line to a point in 3d-space

Post by John Balestrier » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've seen the comp.graphics.algorithm FAQs on how to get the shortest
distance from a point to a line, but that method applies to 2d space. Could
anyone assist me in obtaining an algorithm that works in 3d space?

Thank you,
John Balestrieri

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~eberly/gr_dist.htm

--
Dave Eberly

http://www.magic-software.com

1. Q: Point on line segment closest to a 2D/3D point

just wondering if anyone had any quick way of finding out a point on a
line segment that lies closest to a separate point in 3d space (and also
a method for 2d space)? i'm having to do it with integers, and it's part
of an inner loop, so i don't want to mess around with normalising vectors
etc if possible. i realise that it would be possible to find the closest
point on the infinite line on which the line segment lies, and then test
whether it sits inside the line segment, but that's probably a bit too
expensive.

Mike (:

2. Mac based animation

3. Find closest point of 3D Point in 3D Triangle

4. Shellac

5. Closest Point ON the surface to a fixed 3D point

6. Tolegraphic questions

7. closest point on 3d-line

8. OpenGL32.dll destroys executable code in memory!?

9. Q: Closest point of 2 lines in space

10. Point on Line AB that is closest to point C

11. Closest 3D triangle to a 3D point?

12. Q: point on line nearest a point (3D)

13. Rotation of a 3d point in 3d space