Occlusion Culling

Post by Christoph Riede » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Any litarature i found on occlusion culling is about doing it
dynamically i. e. the camera moves, see which polygon occludes which
part of the world.

In my application i've got a lot of polys, which are never or very
unlikely visible (i. e. completely inside a set of opaque polys).

Could you please give me any Ideas, literature or web pointers to
something like "global occlusion culling". Or should i better try to do
it the other way round, i. e find the set(s) of polys, which enclose a
voulume possibly containing other objects?

Thanks for any help!

Christoph

P. S. please E-mail me a copy of your answer to ensure that nothing gets
lost

Occlusion Culling

Post by Steve Mart » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Any litarature i found on occlusion culling is about doing it
>dynamically i. e. the camera moves, see which polygon occludes which
>part of the world.
>In my application i've got a lot of polys, which are never or very
>unlikely visible (i. e. completely inside a set of opaque polys).
>Could you please give me any Ideas, literature or web pointers to
>something like "global occlusion culling". Or should i better try to do
>it the other way round, i. e find the set(s) of polys, which enclose a
>voulume possibly containing other objects?

If your main concern is objects inside other objects, then I'd say the
best way to handle that would be through a hierarchy. Ie: If you're
outside an object draw it, if you're inside, draw its children (or
subordinates or whatever you wanna call them). On the other hand if
your enclosing object has holes in it that you can see through
sometimes, your best bet would be portal rendering.

Steve Marton
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9784

1. Hardware Support for Occlusion Culling?

Any idea when hardware support for occlusion culling will become
available on SGI platforms. Some other vendors are talking about
supporting this in thier hardware.

This could become a driving force in the area of Large Scale Database
visualization. (OpenGL-Optimizer)

--
Bill McGarry  SW-Engineer          Phone:(206)865-5064 FAX:(206)865-2628
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company Org: 6-6C13 , M/S 7J-79

2. 3d Schools, Tutorials, Galleries, Contacts, MORE!

3. Where to get Occlusion Culling Tutorials?

4. 360 degree panoramic Pict

5. Occlusion culling source?

6. occlusion culling

7. Help w/ occlusion culling/portal algorithm

8. Visibility algorithms/Occlusion culling in dense polyhedral environments.

9. occlusion culling using octrees

10. NV_OCCLUSION_QUERY for occlusion culling

11. Occlusion culling?