From polygon soup to something useful

Post by Mr Ja » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Gents and Ladies:

I have a set of data represented as a "polygon soup", meaning that the solids
are represented as a bunch of triangles with vertex normals - assume that they
are connected (manifold).

Given such a representation, what's the best way to collect all these triangles
and reorganize them into something useful, like a winged-edge representation?

I've gotten plug-and-chug to work, but there's got to be a better way.
Octtrees maybe?  Thanks in advance, and I'd appreciate an email...

Jama

1. Hidden Line Removal and Polygon Soups

Can anyone point me to fast algorithms that:

1) Take polygon soups (triangles with normals but no connectivity)
and  connect them such that edges are defined, and then

2) Perform a vector based hidden line removal on said edges/triangles

When I say vector-based, I mean that I don't want any raster-based
algorithms.  I want to output a vector plot of the results.  Thanks in
advance!!!!  and please email me! BTW - Please respond even if you only
have one of the above.

Joe

2. Algbr. & Paramtrc. Surfaces v2

3. Help: KRIG format to SOMETHING useful

4. HELP, FLC Player on MAC ?

5. Converting MATLAB 4.0 raw image to something useful!

6. Stray vertex

7. Converting CorelDraw 6 ---> something useful

8. Color reduction

9. OS2 .MET files to something useful??

10. LOTUS 1-2-3 graphs to something useful

11. Converting .WMF files to something more useful

12. Something you may find useful

13. cam:s to something useful...