Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Arthur How » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Lightwave is worth the $1495 price tag, but I could swear that I saw the
student price on there site and it was around $795 give or take $100
dollars.  As far as a demo I can't really point you in a direction except
to watch shows like "Space: Above and Beyond", "Babylon 5", "Star Trek
Voyager", and the M&M commercials.  Also some neat lightwave work done in
"Courage Under Fire"(The A-10's that dumped the napalm were modeled in
Lightwave and composited using After Effects).

Arthur
Digital Innovations

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Dennis Dur » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know if there is some sort of demo CD or Video for Lightwave
5.0?  I'm interested in buying it, but I would like to see what it's like
to use the program in terms of ease of use, features, etc.  Also, does
$1200 (Cdn) sound like too much for a student price?  I hear NewTek isn't
that aggressive when it comes to student pricing.  Oh, well.

Thanks in advance!

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Adam Chrysti » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

 I can't really point you in a direction except

Quote:> to watch shows like "Space: Above and Beyond", "Babylon 5", "Star Trek
> Voyager", and the M&M commercials.  Also some neat lightwave work done in
> "Courage Under Fire"(The A-10's that dumped the napalm were modeled in
> Lightwave and composited using After Effects).

     Oh and don;t forget the TV show "Sliders". Lotta Lw in that. The
new episodes have more than just LightWave generated jump-points. Friday

    Also, future episodes of Deep Space Nine will be laiden with
LightWave CGI.
    umm..oh yea if you see some Merrill * CGI commercials that too
was LightWave..and errr a new Energizer commercial..or was it durcacell,
is also LW CGI.
-------------
Adam Chrystie

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Mark Dunak » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

AC>  I can't really point you in a direction except
AC> > to watch shows like "Space: Above and Beyond", "Babylon 5", "Star Trek
AC> > Voyager", and the M&M commercials.  Also some neat lightwave work done
AC> in
AC> > "Courage Under Fire"(The A-10's that dumped the napalm were modeled in
AC> > Lightwave and composited using After Effects).

AC>      Oh and don;t forget the TV show "Sliders". Lotta Lw in that. The
AC> new episodes have more than just LightWave generated jump-points. Friday

AC>     Also, future episodes of Deep Space Nine will be laiden with
AC> LightWave CGI.
AC>     umm..oh yea if you see some Merrill * CGI commercials that too
AC> was LightWave..and errr a new Energizer commercial..or was it durcacell,
AC> is also LW CGI.
AC> -------------
AC> Adam Chrystie
-----------------------------

But guys, isn't what he wanted to know, also something that would show how the
ease of use and functionality and the like of LW is, and not just things that
have been done with the program? Showing good work does not tell someone how
good a program is to work with. I for one can tell him that LW is in general a
pretty easy to use program and has some awesome modeling power, but has lame
charactor animation abilities. It has great rendering and the like, but has
lame texture mapping. So I think it would all depend on what this guy needs to
get done that would determine which program he needs to get......Like I always
see how everyone is continually *ing about that 3D Max sucks (or doesn't)
and so I finally got to see it for myself and can say that, yes there are
things that I don't like, but there IS one thing that I wouldn't be able to
live without, and that was the easy way it had to create charactor motion.
i wish that LW would GET WITH IT and make something that worked as simply as
that..............my 52 cents, or is 58 cents hear in California.....md :)

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Chris Blan » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>    umm..oh yea if you see some Merrill * CGI commercials that too
>was LightWave..and errr a new Energizer commercial..or was it durcacell,
>is also LW CGI.

It was Duracell. And LW is being used on the Duracell www site. (I did
the spinning battery that's up there now...and MUCH more in the next
version of their site that will go live in the next few weeks.)

- Chris

http://www.veryComputer.com/~chrisb/

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by JohnC 7 » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

No, there is no demo tape or CD at this time to highlight Lightwave as a
"Killer App".
Using the excuse of "turn on your tv" is a cop out. Autodesk have a tape
and demo CD.
Electric Image have a demo CD. Visual Software have a demo CD. Softimage
and Wavefront/Alias have demo reels, althogh you could "go to the flicks"
to see SI's and SGI's work ;-). Who's the odd one out here?

Please. Newtek. Can we have a *small* marketing campaign? Press releases
announcing the availability of a demo reel/CD cost next to nothing. Is the
problem content? Money? Resources?

I Just see my favorite program vanishing into obscurity because of
"Stealth Marketing".
It happened to my favorite computer system........ .

JC.

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by The Outla » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> No, there is no demo tape or CD at this time to highlight Lightwave as a
> "Killer App".
> Using the excuse of "turn on your tv" is a cop out. Autodesk have a tape
> and demo CD.
> Electric Image have a demo CD. Visual Software have a demo CD. Softimage
> and Wavefront/Alias have demo reels, althogh you could "go to the flicks"
> to see SI's and SGI's work ;-). Who's the odd one out here?

> Please. Newtek. Can we have a *small* marketing campaign? Press releases
> announcing the availability of a demo reel/CD cost next to nothing. Is the
> problem content? Money? Resources?

> I Just see my favorite program vanishing into obscurity because of
> "Stealth Marketing".
> It happened to my favorite computer system........ .

> JC.

Ah, a fellow Amigan.

                                Paul

/ "As through this world you wander;      Paul G. Overend              \

|  You will never find an outlaw,         http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccspgo|
|  Turn a family from its home."          +44 1225 826074              |
\______________________________________________________________________/

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Dan Newcom » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>     Oh and don;t forget the TV show "Sliders". Lotta Lw in that. The
>new episodes have more than just LightWave generated jump-points. Friday

Out of curiosity...during the first season, I remember a tidal wave at the end
of one episode about to overtake San Fran.  Was that done in lightwave?

        -Dan

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by William Teegard » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

(Dan Newcombe) writes:

>>     Oh and don;t forget the TV show "Sliders". Lotta Lw in that. The
>>new episodes have more than just LightWave generated jump-points.
Friday

>Out of curiosity...during the first season, I remember a tidal wave at
the end
>of one episode about to overtake San Fran.  Was that done in
lightwave?

>        -Dan

Nope, that shot was done in Matador, a high end paint and compositing
package that runs on the SGI.

Myself and two other guys went down to the beach one day with a high
speed camera and shot footage of waves cresting, then comped that into
the plate shot of SF.

GT

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Chris Golche » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: > It happened to my favorite computer system........ .
:
: Ah, a fellow Amigan.

I could smell that one comming, before I moved to the next page, too :)

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by Dennis Dur » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> But guys, isn't what he wanted to know, also something that would show
how the
> ease of use and functionality and the like of LW is, and not just things
that
> have been done with the program? Showing good work does not tell someone
how
> good a program is to work with.

That guy agrees with you totally!  ;)

Demo for Lightwave 5.0??

Post by RenderBo » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am considering getting Lightwave on Mac when released. I do mostly character and
illustrative work that I want to translate into 3D work.

Questions:

1. Is Lightwave up to rendering high resolution images w/good quality?
2. Can you control faceting of polygons in renders - most noticeble in print because
you have longer to view images?
3. I s modeling very capable and accurate?

My other options are to consider Strata StudioPro 2.0 or Animation Master for
character stuff.

Please explain why it would/wouldn't be good for character print work along with a
point to images to back up claims.

Thanks.

Tom Strong

1. WTB: Lightwave 5.0 for Dummies book or 5.0 Manuals

  Why, what happened to the ones that came with it?

--
                             -=Atomic Skull=-
     See my 3-D anime character page

2. old habits die hard

3. Lightwave 5.0 for Dummies book or 5.0 Manuals

4. Networking 3DS. How to guide needed

5. Problems with Freehand 5.0 demo

6. Iluustrator fonts wuestion