PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by Chris Blan » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm looking at adding a PVR card to my current system in order to get
Lightwave animations to tape. I have a P120, 24 megs ram, Win95,
SoundBlaster 32AWE sound card, Adobe Premiere and soon a 4.3 gig
Seagate SCSI drive. A few questions:

1. I know the PVR software works best with NT, but I can't move up to
it yet. I saw that DPS has PVR software in a Win95 directory on their
ftp site. Anyone know how well it works?

2. Will 24 megs of ram be enough? (Of course more is better, but I
gotta start here).

3. How well do the AWE32 and Premiere work with the PVR? Anyone have a
similar setup?

4. How does the PVR compare to something like the Q-Motion PCI or the
FAST Movie Line FPS-60?

Or should I just forget all of this stuff and hang on a few more days
and see what comes out of NAB?

Thanks for letting me hog some bandwidth.

- Chris

http://pluto.njcc.com/~chrisb/

PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by atlan.. » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm looking at adding a PVR card to my current system in order to get
> A few questions:

>1. I know the PVR software works best with NT, but I can't move up to
>it yet. I saw that DPS has PVR software in a Win95 directory on their
>ftp site. Anyone know how well it works?

yes, it will work with 95, not sure of how well since I use the NT version.  I
would assume it should work pretty good though since 95/NT should be fairly
close programming wise IF they followed the MS specs for programming

Quote:>2. Will 24 megs of ram be enough? (Of course more is better, but I
>gotta start here).

NO!.. DPS says 32 meg minimum.... of course, I'm not sure if they mean that's
the recommended min or that's the ABSOLUTE minimum.

Quote:>3. How well do the AWE32 and Premiere work with the PVR? Anyone have a
&
>4. How does the PVR compare to something like the Q-Motion PCI or the
>FAST Movie Line FPS-60?

No clue... sorry.

Quote:>Or should I just forget all of this stuff and hang on a few more days
>and see what comes out of NAB?

If you can wait.  Something better just might be around the corner.

Bob

PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by Nate Haye » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I'm looking at adding a PVR card to my current system in order to get
> Lightwave animations to tape. I have a P120, 24 megs ram, Win95,
> SoundBlaster 32AWE sound card, Adobe Premiere and soon a 4.3 gig
> Seagate SCSI drive. A few questions:

> 1. I know the PVR software works best with NT, but I can't move up to
> it yet. I saw that DPS has PVR software in a Win95 directory on their
> ftp site. Anyone know how well it works?

It works fine. A little more cumbersome than NT version, however. Since
NT supports "plug-in" file systems, DPS used this feature to provide
very easy access to PVR files on the proprietary SCSI chain. Since Win95
doesn't support this feature, DPS has a "File Manager-like" utility that
let's you get to your PVR files, although you can't see them from
Windows Explorer or DOS prompt.

Quote:

> 2. Will 24 megs of ram be enough? (Of course more is better, but I
> gotta start here).

Under Win95 24Megs RAM will problably be OK. Under NT you will need at
least 32.

Quote:> 3. How well do the AWE32 and Premiere work with the PVR? Anyone have a
> similar setup?

We were using just a standard SB16 with PVR. It was adequate... I'd
guess that AWE32 would be fine too. The one big weak point of PVR at
this point is that regardelss of which sound card you choose, you're
still prone to sound-sync problems.

Quote:> 4. How does the PVR compare to something like the Q-Motion PCI or the
> FAST Movie Line FPS-60?

I've seen output from many video boards, including some not-yet released
boards soon to hit the market. It's still my subjective optinoin that
the PVR is by far the king of the hill in video image quality... and I
mean hands-down no competition. It's absolutely superb quality; part of
this is due to the fact that the PVR has a "smart" time-base corrector
built into it that "fixes" stray video signals. The result is absolutely
the cleanest looking digital video I've yet to see. However, this is
also reflected in the size of it's M-JPEG compressed files <g>.

Quote:> Or should I just forget all of this stuff and hang on a few more days
> and see what comes out of NAB?

I'd go to NAB first, just to get a feel of what's out there. My biggest
problem with PVR was sound sync and bugs that we kept discovering in the
DPS drivers. These were perpetual problems. But the image quality of the
 PVR may make it all worth while for ya....

Sincerely,

Nate

PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by Walter (J » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: PVR questions-a-go-go
>Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:03:24 GMT
>I'm looking at adding a PVR card to my current system in order to get
>Lightwave animations to tape. I have a P120, 24 megs ram, Win95,
>SoundBlaster 32AWE sound card, Adobe Premiere and soon a 4.3 gig
>Seagate SCSI drive. A few questions:
>1. I know the PVR software works best with NT, but I can't move up to
>it yet. I saw that DPS has PVR software in a Win95 directory on their
>ftp site. Anyone know how well it works?

It works fine.  I think there is greater functionality in some areas on NT
though.  For instance under NT, the PVR can appear to be a system drive.
The Win 95 support is also mediocre.  I'm pretty sure the file requestor does
not support the long file names though.  This is a minor annoyance for us.

Quote:>2. Will 24 megs of ram be enough? (Of course more is better, but I
>gotta start here).

My original intention was to put a PVR into a 486 machine and use that PC as
though it were a video recorder.  The RAM requirements made me rethink that.
I did talk to a DPS tech guy and he said that he ran a PVR with only 16mb but
that DPS does not recommend it.  It is my guess that you would be OK with
24mb under Win95, but that is only a guess.

Quote:>3. How well do the AWE32 and Premiere work with the PVR? Anyone have a
>similar setup?

I have no clue.  However, if you are going this direction, I'd bet that NT and
more RAM are in order.

Quote:>4. How does the PVR compare to something like the Q-Motion PCI or the
>FAST Movie Line FPS-60?

No idea really.  However, before we got the PVR we used a FAST non-linear
system at a local edit house to output some animations.  This machine was a
professional unit that was installed in a PC.  I think the PVR's output is
every bit as good at this "pro" FAST machine.

>Or should I just forget all of this stuff and hang on a few more days
>and see what comes out of NAB?
>Thanks for letting me hog some bandwidth.
>- Chris

>http://pluto.njcc.com/~chrisb/

Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
http://www.studio522.com         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by Greg Par » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I'm looking at adding a PVR card to my current system in order to get
>Lightwave animations to tape. I have a P120, 24 megs ram, Win95,
>SoundBlaster 32AWE sound card, Adobe Premiere and soon a 4.3 gig
>Seagate SCSI drive. A few questions:

>1. I know the PVR software works best with NT, but I can't move up to
>it yet. I saw that DPS has PVR software in a Win95 directory on their
>ftp site. Anyone know how well it works?

Have run PVR in Win95 for 5 months now with no problems

Quote:>2. Will 24 megs of ram be enough? (Of course more is better, but I
>gotta start here).

32 min is what I hear

Quote:

>3. How well do the AWE32 and Premiere work with the PVR? Anyone have a
>similar setup?

Run the AWE32 with no problems

PVR questions-a-go-go

Post by GKeenan8 » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

For all people enquiring about LightWave 5.0 upgrades in the UK, we are an
authorised dealer who has the PC INTEL version available NOW!

Call now for a special LIMITED TIME offer!!

Telephone/Fax 0141-946-2191

or Email

1. FS: Director 5.0...going...going...almost gone...

Last chance to get into multimedia for a lots less than retail. The
unregistered Mac version of Director I got with my PowerTower 225 will
be sold to the highest biddrer as of 6:00 p.m. EST, Sunday, February 16.

You'll get the Application CD and an Electronic Documentation CD (sorry,
no book). Guaranteed to never have been registered or loaded onto any
computer. Drop me an e-mail with the high bid by 6:00 p.m. Sunday and
it's yours. And then fame and fortune will be just a few short years
(er, I mean months) away. :-)

Jim Nixon
InterAction

P.S. The current high bid is less than half the retail price. Still lots
of room to save big bucks.

2. best format for printing?

3. Reverse Fields when going to PVR?

4. How get a raw bit map into a TBitmap

5. Going Once...Going Twice...Three Jobs Available!

6. Upgrade?

7. DUAL PRO GOING GOING

8. how they generate graphics?

9. I'm going to go mad

10. Going Once...Going Twice...Three Jobs Available!

11. ANIiMATED GIF a go go !!!

12. Going Once...Going Twice...Three Jobs Available!

13. Monitor Blowout Sale!!! Everything must go-go-GO!!!!