Apply texture

Post by Tyler Thornblad » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

RTFM? Or if you have a more elaborate question, please be more specific.

Tyler Thornblade
Eidolon Technologies

> Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
> the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

> Thanks

Apply texture

Post by Pandama » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Textures are applied by using the Surfaces panel in Layout, not in Modeler.
--
Regards,
Doug Graham

Apply texture

Post by Martin Ston » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
>the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

>Thanks

You're looking suspiciously like a pirate here.

apologies if you're not, but that is really a very simple question, covered
in the documentation.

C Ya's...

Apply texture

Post by Tria » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
> >the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

> >Thanks

> You're looking suspiciously like a pirate here.

> apologies if you're not, but that is really a very simple question,
covered
> in the documentation.
> C Ya's...

What if he is a pirate ? I Don't think Newtek care mutch about it if he is
a privat Homeuser of it..Anyway a normal Homeuser don't have money to buy
it,I guess you know what it cost.So many people Copy LW to get it.If newtek
didn't take so much money for it,they would get more people buying it.Like
myself I can only Look here in the newsgrop and wich i had LW....I DON'T
WANT TO PAY ca .17.000 NOK for it..Or ca. $2000 In dollar.I don't have
money for it.....Or I'm I wrong ? is it not that expensiv ?anyway I don't
Want to copy it either.So what is my options ?

Triax

Apply texture

Post by -------- » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

says...

> > >Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
> > >the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

> > >Thanks

> > You're looking suspiciously like a pirate here.

> > apologies if you're not, but that is really a very simple question,
> covered
> > in the documentation.
> > C Ya's...
> What if he is a pirate ? I Don't think Newtek care mutch about it if he is
> a privat Homeuser of it..
(SNIP)
> Triax

Um, in case you haven't figured it out, Newtek has a special section to
deal with piracy (like most large software developers) and I would bet
they DO care if he is a "private home user" - in any case, in answer to
your question about what options you have if you can't afford Lightwave,
and (rightly) will not pirate it: save up your krona and buy it or go
without.  I (like most people, I suspect) would love to have a half
million dollars worth of software (Maya, Softimage, all the viewpoint
models, every plugin for every 3d app, etc etc) but I can't. So I
prioritize what I want and what I can afford.  On a $1500 a month salary,
that isn't a huge list, but over time, it is enough to give you the tools
you need to let out the visions that rattle in your head.

-DDM-

Additionally, you may want to consider Inspire 3D - much less expensive,
and I think that someone who became proficient at Inspire could easily
sell enough work to afford Lightwave.

Apply texture

Post by cheeh » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
>the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

>Thanks

I don't know much about Lightwave 5.5 manuals but my Inspire
user manual has topics on Surfacing in Section 4.17 under
the subsection Surface Textures. Check out the TOC in your
LW user manual.

Regards
-cheehui
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~teddytan/inspire.htm
-----------------------------------
Please remove "nospam" to reply.
-----------------------------------

Apply texture

Post by wigg » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> >Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
>> >the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

Note the words " on the modeller" in his email.I don't endorse Pirates
but he may be genuine and refering to the power plugin or whatever it
is, that,if I remember from other posts,can possibly display Bmp
images on objects in Modeller.

CBW.

Seizure,

WIGGZ

" Bright Light Bright Light "

Apply texture

Post by Thad » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > >Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
> > >the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

> > >Thanks

> > You're looking suspiciously like a pirate here.

> > apologies if you're not, but that is really a very simple question,
> covered
> > in the documentation.
> > C Ya's...
> What if he is a pirate ? I Don't think Newtek care mutch about it if he is
> a privat Homeuser of it..Anyway a normal Homeuser don't have money to buy
> it,I guess you know what it cost.So many people Copy LW to get it.If newtek
> didn't take so much money for it,they would get more people buying it.Like
> myself I can only Look here in the newsgrop and wich i had LW....I DON'T
> WANT TO PAY ca .17.000 NOK for it..Or ca. $2000 In dollar.I don't have
> money for it.....Or I'm I wrong ? is it not that expensiv ?anyway I don't
> Want to copy it either.So what is my options ?

> Triax

Don't Pay, Don't Play.

'nuff said

Thad

Apply texture

Post by Claus J?rsta » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Absolutely...I am myself a "private user", and the ability to pay 2000$ for
lightwave have I NO ability to! I am under education, private school btw, which
cost s me NOK 50.000,-/approx. 8000,- USD, so who expects that I have the
ability to pay so much for a program?
Also is it another factor which plays a important role here, and that is; Let's
suppose i DONT like a program, and pays e.g 2000,- USD for it...I try another
one..and another one...All in all will this remove the contents of my wallet as
quick as a blond girl hunting men!
Must say that WHEN i get enough money, I will buy a registred version, coz this
is an escellent program..

CJ

> > >Hi all..anyone can teach me how i can apply a texture to any objects, on
> > >the modeler ? (i use LW5.5)

> > >Thanks

> > You're looking suspiciously like a pirate here.

> > apologies if you're not, but that is really a very simple question,
> covered
> > in the documentation.
> > C Ya's...
> What if he is a pirate ? I Don't think Newtek care mutch about it if he is
> a privat Homeuser of it..Anyway a normal Homeuser don't have money to buy
> it,I guess you know what it cost.So many people Copy LW to get it.If newtek
> didn't take so much money for it,they would get more people buying it.Like
> myself I can only Look here in the newsgrop and wich i had LW....I DON'T
> WANT TO PAY ca .17.000 NOK for it..Or ca. $2000 In dollar.I don't have
> money for it.....Or I'm I wrong ? is it not that expensiv ?anyway I don't
> Want to copy it either.So what is my options ?

> Triax

Apply texture

Post by Sam J. Bowlin » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Seems the poor sap used his real name and e-mail address when he pulicly
admited he was a pirate.

Here come the NewTek police!

--
Sam J. Bowling
----------------

Apply texture

Post by ryz » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I doubt Newtek is actually gonna do anything *l*
They cant actually get a warrant to search his house? (or Im sure they
wouldnt)

>Seems the poor sap used his real name and e-mail address when he pulicly
>admited he was a pirate.

>Here come the NewTek police!

>--
>Sam J. Bowling
>----------------
>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/5565/

Apply texture

Post by ryz » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I doubt Newtek is actually gonna do anything *l*
They cant actually get a warrant to search his house? (or Im sure they
wouldnt)

>Seems the poor sap used his real name and e-mail address when he pulicly
>admited he was a pirate.

>Here come the NewTek police!

>--
>Sam J. Bowling
>----------------
>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/5565/

1. Red Book, Texturing, Example 9-1, applying texture border color

Hi,

i am having trouble with GL_TEXTURE_BORDER_COLOR

as is asked in "try this" (3rd edition, page 412) , when i change the
filters to linear and specify noticable border color (1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0), i
don't see ANY difference (and wrapping GL_CLAMP instead of GL_REPEAT of
course).

What am i supposed to see here? Or to put it other way, the page 409 says
that "for wrapping mode GL_CLAMP, the texel from the border (or
GL_TEXTURE_BORDER_COLOR) is used in 2 x 2 array of weighted texels"

i don't have border, so the "or" part should use border color if i
understand it correctly? So ok, what is exactly "2 x 2 array" (what texels?)
and how are those 4 texels weighted?

What i would like to achieve is to apply texture to half of quad for
example, and leave other half unaffected (i.e. have it's own color). On the
page 410, it is said that "...use alpha values 0 for the edges (or borders,
if they are specified) of the texture".

When i create my own texture, i can easily make edges to have alpha 0 and
what i get is one half "intrinsic" polygon and other half textured, except
for pixels on egdes (since corresponding texels are transparent).

When i make texture with border (border is fully transparent), i don't get
what i expect. What i get is checkerboard in lower left corner, and the rest
is clamped texure but "blended" with polygon color (mode is GL_DECAL, it is
GL_LINEAR for both filters and GL_CLAMP for both s and t). That looks like
weighted texels to me, and not like the rest of surface unaffected. In fact,
i don't see how can one have both at the same time?

And finally, when i load a file (rgb or something), what then? I don't want
to allocate memory to "expand it to have border ...".

I thought that i could control this by changing texture border color (as Try
It on page 412 suggests) , but again, i don't see any difference at all,
either on WinNT or 2000 or Linux, with or without texture border color one
way or the other, with or without texture having border, no difference
whether texture mode is DECAL, MODULATE or whatever.

So, am I completely wrong here or am I missing something?

2. new site changes

3. question:how to apply textures in moray or PovSB

4. HELP Need info on Graphic Card for Broadcast

5. Applying Texture to a Box

6. That warning sound on SAVE

7. Applying Texture to 3D Object

8. Converting Quark -> TIFF (fast?)

9. Apply texture and depth to 2D object

10. how to apply texture to text?

11. Applying texture automatically from bitmaps

12. Apply texture to cars - how?