Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

Post by Alex Fior » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have seen this question asked before in this newsgroup, but I have never
seen anybody answer. So here we go again.

I am looking for a particle system plug-in and would like to hear from
users with experience with either Sparks or Particle Storm. What do
you like about them, what don't you like about them. If you have used
both, compare them.

Thanks in advance.

Post by Michael Sippe » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have seen this question asked before in this newsgroup, but I have never
> seen anybody answer. So here we go again.

> I am looking for a particle system plug-in and would like to hear from
> users with experience with either Sparks or Particle Storm. What do
> you like about them, what don't you like about them. If you have used
> both, compare them.

> Thanks in advance.

Particle Storm is excellent.  You will appreciate the real time preview
of your particles' behavior. Good physics.  Easy to use.

Michael Sippel

Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

Post by Ronn » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have both.  Sparks hasn't seen the light of day since I installed PS.
The interface is better(but still needs work) and getting predictable
results is WAY easier.  The real-time preview is a big help too.
--
Ronn Harbin

Quote:> I have seen this question asked before in this newsgroup, but I have

Post by dnaheli » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have both.  Sparks hasn't seen the light of day since I installed PS.
> The interface is better(but still needs work) and getting predictable
> results is WAY easier.  The real-time preview is a big help too.
> --
> Ronn Harbin

> > I have seen this question asked before in this newsgroup, but I have
> never
> > seen anybody answer. So here we go again.

> > I am looking for a particle system plug-in and would like to hear from
> > users with experience with either Sparks or Particle Storm. What do
> > you like about them, what don't you like about them. If you have used
> > both, compare them.

> > Thanks in advance.

PStorm has real time previews which help make it VERY productive.
It's also fun just to play with!

John A D
DNA

Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

Post by Padd » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Particle Storm is excellent.  You will appreciate the real time preview
> of your particles' behavior. Good physics.  Easy to use.

> Michael Sippel

Yup. Must agree. I learnt most of it in one evening while desparetly
trying to finish a very important job last week and it really wasn't too
difficult. The real time interface is excellent althought the camera can
sometimes (only sometimes) be fiddly to set up.

I haven't used Sparks so I can't comment on it. It maybe good enough for
what you need.

But .. (there simply HAS to be one:)) .. When I first produce a particle
system and return to layout, its fine. But if I go back to PS and then
return to Layout, my particle object has moved 1000 odd meters south.
Very strange. After panicing, swearing profusely and trying lots of
different things I found that if I saved the project out to a scene and
then did a load objects from scene it worked like a dream. it may have
been caused by the fact that I had parented my fountain emitter to a
null that was parented to a rotating object that was parented to a
moving object. Or this maybe a problem with my LW as I've had a number
of problems which are suggested as being caused by a corrupted patch.
Since I haven't been able to re-download it from Newteks ftp for a week
or so due to the lack of speed of the ftp site I haven't sorted this
problem out. then again, maybe its something I missed while skimming
throught the manual at breakneck speed.

Post by Aaron Estrad » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I have seen this question asked before in this newsgroup, but I have never
> seen anybody answer. So here we go again.

> I am looking for a particle system plug-in and would like to hear from
> users with experience with either Sparks or Particle Storm. What do
> you like about them, what don't you like about them. If you have used
> both, compare them.

I haven't used the most recent version of Sparks, so it may have changed
since then. I have used the most recent version of Particle Storm and I
have to say that that it is a much better program. It has a much more
interactive preview and easier to comprehend controls than Sparks. Like
a said though, sparks may have been updated since I used it. I'm happy
with Particle Storm.

-Aaron