Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by badllarm » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:13:24

OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group I think
it's about time the Lightwave users in the Northwest (UK) had a meet. It
seems most events are based in London or much further south and to have at
least one meet in the north of the UK once this year would not be too much
to ask? I hope ;-)

1) So here it goes we need sugestions for a location that has good transport
links to BOTH sides of the Pennines.
2) A suitable day (A Saturday/Sunday?)
3) A rough date to be thrashed out (this can be a few months away, yet )
after all sod law say most people will be going away this time of year or in
the near future.
4) I do not in any way consider myself the organiser of this event I'm just
throwing an idea into the ring, and I know this is not a new idea as it has
been tried before but it seeems more of us northerners have Lightwave in
light of a few threads I've seen else where than in the past so it's maybe
time to have another go.

So here my hat thrown in

Pub, A Satuday afternoon, October, (Right until we get to know where every
one is coming from the last bit is difficult to work out off the top of my
head I'd suggest Sheffield or Manchester or I don't know let me know what
you think even maybe some where further north? Wales?)

I'm based in Swinton (Manchester)
Kevin F Stubbs  Warrington
Gazmon  Chester (Newtek Groups thread)
Colkai  St Helens
Cagey   Stockport
Brizon forgot mate sorry just outside Sheffield wasn't it ?
Craig over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
Paddy over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)

so there is 7 of us possibly?
ideas people?

andy

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Cage » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:15:08

Well. I'm up for it and not too fussed where really. I guess that will
depend who signs up for it and we can find something suitable at that stage.

Cagey

Quote:> OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group I think

Post by Brizo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:49:59

| Well. I'm up for it and not too fussed where really. I guess that will
| depend who signs up for it and we can find something suitable at that
| stage.
|
| Cagey
|

|| OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group I
|| think it's about time the Lightwave users in the Northwest (UK) had
|| a meet. It seems most events are based in London or much further
|| south and to have at least one meet in the north of the UK once this
|| year would not be too much to ask? I hope ;-)
|| 1) So here it goes we need sugestions for a location that has good
|| transport links to BOTH sides of the Pennines.
|| 2) A suitable day (A Saturday/Sunday?)
|| 3) A rough date to be thrashed out (this can be a few months away,
|| yet ) after all sod law say most people will be going away this time
|| of year or in the near future.
|| 4) I do not in any way consider myself the organiser of this event
|| I'm just throwing an idea into the ring, and I know this is not a
|| new idea as it has been tried before but it seeems more of us
|| northerners have Lightwave in light of a few threads I've seen else
|| where than in the past so it's maybe time to have another go.
|| So here my hat thrown in
|| Pub, A Satuday afternoon, October, (Right until we get to know where
|| every one is coming from the last bit is difficult to work out off
|| the top of my head I'd suggest Sheffield or Manchester or I don't
|| know let me know what you think even maybe some where further north?
|| Wales?)
|| I'm based in Swinton (Manchester)
|| Kevin F Stubbs  Warrington
|| Gazmon  Chester (Newtek Groups thread)
|| Colkai  St Helens
|| Cagey   Stockport
|| Brizon forgot mate sorry just outside Sheffield wasn't it ?
|| Craig over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
|| Paddy over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
|| so there is 7 of us possibly?
|| ideas people?
|| andy

same here, not too fussed where unless its in some middle of nowhere pub
nobody can get to :)

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:29:22

Quote:> I'm based in Swinton (Manchester)
> Kevin F Stubbs  Warrington
> Gazmon  Chester (Newtek Groups thread)
> Colkai  St Helens
> Cagey   Stockport
> Brizon forgot mate sorry just outside Sheffield wasn't it ?
> Craig over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
> Paddy over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)

If that's the complete list...then how about round at my place ? Seriously, I'm
at the junction of the M6 and M62 motorways and a mile from the nearest railway
station. It would depend on the guys on the 'wrong' side of the Pennines I
suppose..but the offer is there if no other options present themselves.

Please let me know if interested so we can sort out a date ... or dates.

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Post by Brizo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:48:22

|| I'm based in Swinton (Manchester)
|| Kevin F Stubbs  Warrington
|| Gazmon  Chester (Newtek Groups thread)
|| Colkai  St Helens
|| Cagey   Stockport
|| Brizon forgot mate sorry just outside Sheffield wasn't it ?
|| Craig over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
|| Paddy over near/around Sheffield (ref binary thread)
| If that's the complete list...then how about round at my place ?
| Seriously, I'm at the junction of the M6 and M62 motorways and a mile
| from the nearest railway station. It would depend on the guys on the
| 'wrong' side of the Pennines I suppose..but the offer is there if no
| other options present themselves.
|
| Please let me know if interested so we can sort out a date ... or
| dates.
|
| Cheers
|
| Kevin F Stubbs
| Kayef Select Limited

wouldnt a pub in the middle of some town be an easier choice, I remember me
and Chris managed to get quite lost finding your place last time.. granted I
can't read a map to save my life and he's not the best driver in the world
:) but still heheh

I'm sure a bunch of us would be quite easy to spot lol

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:28:55

Quote:> wouldnt a pub in the middle of some town be an easier choice,

Hehe, you obviously haven't tried parking in Manchester recently :-)) Also, city
centre pubs can be even harder to find if there's a one way system of some kind
:-)) Having it round here would give me a good reason to relocate a couple of my
PCs downstairs in the living room :-)

Anyway, if anyone would like to suggest an alternative venue...please feel free.
Otherwise, anyone have any suggestions for dates ?

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Post by Brizo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:45:11

|| wouldnt a pub in the middle of some town be an easier choice,
| Hehe, you obviously haven't tried parking in Manchester recently :-))
| Also, city centre pubs can be even harder to find if there's a one
| way system of some kind :-)) Having it round here would give me a
| good reason to relocate a couple of my PCs downstairs in the living
| room :-)
|
| Anyway, if anyone would like to suggest an alternative venue...please
| feel free. Otherwise, anyone have any suggestions for dates ?
|
| Cheers
|
| Kevin F Stubbs
| Kayef Select Limited

*wonders who on earth would travel by car when they know their meeting in a
pub/bar* :D

no but really, I'd feel wrong about everyone imposing round your place, its
a lot of people for someone's house.. hey if its a sunny day we could have
had a BBQ though :))

hmm, what could be a good place.. I'm thinking Leeds and Sheffield may be
out as the majority are the other side of the hills, or are they? I dunno,
obviously each of us would imagine our home town is the best choice, so
maybe in the middle somewhere, make it fair for everyone?

I dunno, what do the other guys think, Kevin's place, or a place in the
center of Manchester, Sheffield or Leeds, or somewhere in the middle of all
those?

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:30:11

Quote:> *wonders who on earth would travel by car when they know their meeting in a
> pub/bar* :D

Er...me for one. I rarely drink, partly because I don't like beer or lager and
mainly 'cos I simply can't afford it, and I don't much care for pubs and bars
anyway. Can't remember the last time I was in either.

Quote:> so maybe in the middle somewhere, make it fair for everyone?

..and that has always been the problem. There is no 'in the middle' between
Mamchester and Sheffield/Leeds, it's really got to be either/or.

Anyone else want to chip in here ?

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:48:47

I know Briz,  They'll all have it at Kevins while you go to the pub
in Manchester...   See, there's a solution to every problem.

                                                              O :-)

Post by Brizo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:14:21

| I know Briz,  They'll all have it at Kevins while you go to the pub
| in Manchester...   See, there's a solution to every problem.
|
|                                                               O :-)

cool, i dont need to buy rounds and can end up drinking with the cast of
Coronation Street lol

Post by Brizo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:15:32

|| *wonders who on earth would travel by car when they know their
|| meeting in a pub/bar* :D
| Er...me for one. I rarely drink, partly because I don't like beer or
| lager and mainly 'cos I simply can't afford it, and I don't much care
| for pubs and bars anyway. Can't remember the last time I was in
| either.
|
|| so maybe in the middle somewhere, make it fair for everyone?
| ..and that has always been the problem. There is no 'in the middle'
| between Mamchester and Sheffield/Leeds, it's really got to be
| either/or.
|
| Anyone else want to chip in here ?

yeah you lot work something out and get back to us lol

Post by Seattle Eri » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:12:17

> OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group<snip>

    I hope to God he means "recent": there's been too much resentment lately.

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by badllarm » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:18:03

Ahh that's why I'm the unofficial spell checker in the 3D World news group
all my typo's and spelling mistakes
lol
recent....... thats the one I was after ;-))

As for venu I was thinking if we can get things really organised and it
won't be a one off maybe one meet on one side of the hills then the next the
other fair for every one then an over the long term.
 You could even go as far as every ones location eventually EG Warrington
(or Kev's house) St Helens, Leeds, Sheffield, Stockport, Manchester, Chester
etc.. etc..
I think Pub is a good place as for one there is no way I'd want every one
round here!
 God imagine it 6 or 7 lightwavers trying to fight it out on who gets on the
3 PC LAN to kill each other on Raven Shield nooooooway! lol ;-)

So if we can here a little more from the others we will have to a have a
final decision on the first location, BTW I'm cool about driving to the
first one if it's the other side of the hills or acting as a taxi from say
Manchester Rail stations to where ever if its our side (So you guys don't
have to drive, Brizon ;-)  )
Any one who knows me know this is a massive scrifice on my part as I'm fond
of a beer or three BTW. ;-))

andy

ideas people?

Post by Benjamin Smi » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:10:33

Quote:> OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group I think
> it's about time the Lightwave users in the Northwest (UK)

I am also interested in this and am based in Sheffield too.  Can
suggest numerous pubs in Sheffield area where this meeting could be
held, or possibly the Stormfront office, 2 mins walk from Sheffield
bus/train station.

ben

Benjamin Smith | SFdp | www.sfdp.co.uk

Northen Lightwave Users meet UK

Post by Cage » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:56:39

Seems like it might be time for a quick poll then.
Can everyone who wants to attend vote East or West and that'll at least get
which side of the hills we head for. We can decide an exact location after
that. I'd agree with badlarma about Manchester side first with next on
Sheffield side, but then again, I would say that wouldn't I?

So first vote from me is West. Any more?

Quote:> > OK folks here it goes after a resent thread on the binaries group I
think
> > it's about time the Lightwave users in the Northwest (UK)

> I am also interested in this and am based in Sheffield too.  Can
> suggest numerous pubs in Sheffield area where this meeting could be
> held, or possibly the Stormfront office, 2 mins walk from Sheffield
> bus/train station.

> ben

> Benjamin Smith | SFdp | www.sfdp.co.uk

1. UK AVS+UNIRAS User Group Annual Meeting

The 1997 annual UK AVS+UNIRAS User Group Conference is being held
at the University of Birmingham Conference Park from Monday 17 to
Tuesday 18 November 1997. The conference is aimed at AVS and
UNIRAS users from both industry and higher education. Advanced
Visual Systems is usually well represented by key management and
technical personnel, so the conference provides a valuable
opportunity to find out about new developments.

The conference will have exclusive use of Horton Grange, on the
University of Birmingham Conference Park. Horton Grange was built
during the early years of this century as an Edwardian style
gentleman's residence which now stands in its own attractive and
peaceful grounds within the Conference Park. It has its own bar
and Conservatory Dining Room with 32 modern and highly specified
en-suite bedrooms in the adjacent North and South wings. The
Conference Park itself is located very close to the University
campus. As well as offering ample free car parking it has good
rail links with Birmingham International airport and the rest of
the UK.

The User Group Web Page at http://www.exeter.ac.uk/uniras/uuug/ has
further conference information and the Call for Participation.

| Paul Hatton                       | Voice  : (UK)  0121-414-3994   |
| Senior Computer Officer           | Fax    : (UK)  0121-414-3952   |

| Information Services, Elms Road,  +--------------------------------|
| The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK    |

2. Help! Need service bureau info/$/location...

3. MS Pro upgrade 5.02 now recognizes my 5.01 - upgrade complete

4. Bay Area Lightwave User Group Meeting

5. Microsoft paint progs & PSP6 - color issues

6. LA Lightwave User Group August Meeting!

7. More BRDF data available online

8. HOUSTON AREA LIGHTWAVE USERS GROUP MEETING 09.21.2000

9. Toronto Lightwave User Group Meeting

10. San Diego Area Lightwave Users Meeting

11. HOUSTON AREA LIGHTWAVE USERS GROUP MEETING 08.17.2000

12. Bay Area Lightwave User Group Meeting on August 12th, 2000