kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by jin choun » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:35:23

have you guys seen the PAYDAY candy bar commercials on tv?

it features a single shot apparently taken from the vantage point of a new
helicopter getting footage on a payday truck that's apparently been stolen
and is being chased by police.

after getting blockaded, the driver bails the truck and takes off and it's
an elephant!

weird thing though is the whole commercial is in the 3-D but it looks
STUNNINGLY realistic!!!

i looked at really closely and there are some give aways like an apparently
"card object" tree, no people in any cars and the elephant itself but as a
gestalt of lighting and movement, very very realistic!

anyone know about what app was used and what studio did the work?

jin

kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:09:31

->>weird thing though is the whole commercial is in the 3-D but it looks
STUNNINGLY realistic!!!<<

Huh.  I only half-glanced at it, but I assumed it was all real except for a
composited CG elephant.  If it's all animated, it's a great piece of work.  Next
time I'll stare at the commercial really hard.

--
Frank?? Panucci
http://www.geocities.com/f_panucc1

kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by jin choun » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:13:42

yah, please do and let me know if i'm right about it.  i did stare and
that's the conclusion i came up with....

jin

kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by Joe Schrengohs » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:52:35

Hi Jin,

Yeah I must have seen it three or four times before
I realized it was CG. It also looks like it was done
in LW but these days who knows as all the high
end apps are getting so good.

Cheers,
JS

> have you guys seen the PAYDAY candy bar commercials on tv?

> it features a single shot apparently taken from the vantage point of a new
> helicopter getting footage on a payday truck that's apparently been stolen
> and is being chased by police.

> after getting blockaded, the driver bails the truck and takes off and it's
> an elephant!

> weird thing though is the whole commercial is in the 3-D but it looks
> STUNNINGLY realistic!!!

> i looked at really closely and there are some give aways like an apparently
> "card object" tree, no people in any cars and the elephant itself but as a
> gestalt of lighting and movement, very very realistic!

> anyone know about what app was used and what studio did the work?

> jin

kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by jin choun » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:17:47

yay,

a confirmation!  i'm not hallucinating.  indeed, these days, it is difficult
to tell one apps' work from another.

jin

kinda OT: GREAT CGI on TV ad

Post by Helispo » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 16:33:51

Small addition to this thread...

The voice-over for this ad was done by longtime L.A. aerial news
pilot/reporter Bob Tur...

Crazy!!

Alex