Mind's Eye Series

Post by Scott Kingsto » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Greetings,

I've been immersing myself in anything I can get a hold of related to this
field when I came across the Mind's Eye series of tapes. I'm sure many of
you have seen these. Any of the animators from any of the series visit this
news group? What do all of you think of this series? Any other
recommendations?

For those that have no idea of what I am referring to, please check out
http://www.odyssey3d.com/

Scott Kingston

Mind's Eye Series

Post by CMag » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Yea those are some killer vids. Odyssey is the latest one of the Mind's Eye
series I have. There was some nice work on the Computer Animation Festival
tape also. I wonder how good the Computer Animation Celebration vid is.
Right now my favorite 3D vid to watch is the MAX Siggraph Entertainment
Reel. Anyone know of something similar put out by NewTek? The latest
LightWave demo reel is interesting, but too short. Most of it was
interviews. If I had based my decision between MAX and LW on who's reel was
better, I would be in a MAX NG right now. I saw one LightWave demo reel a
couple of years ago that was much longer and had tons of great stuff. Anyone
know where I could get one of these? Thanks-- CMage

Mind's Eye Series

Post by CMag » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Here is a recommendation, Scott. You may have already seen it if you are a
regular visitor to www.flay.com like myself. I found this link there.
http://www.vfxpro.com/scripts/cp.exe?getarticle?1055744806?http://www...
.com/Articles/Main.shtml
Digital Domain used LightWave to make this 95% CGI television commercial.
They give some info on how it was done and have a 3MB QTime movie of the
complete commercial. Incredible texturing/reflections. I can't wait to see
it on the tube!! Enjoy!! --CMage

Quote:>news group? What do all of you think of this series? Any other
>recommendations?

1. Graphics software used in Mind's Eye

This message is more geared towards members of the Midnight Movie Group
(please excuse me if I mangled the name of the group) from Apollo.  The
segments in the movie "The Mind's Eye" that were generated by Apollo were
(at least according to the literature that I have read) created using an
in-house modeler and renderer.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me if
that "in-house" tool was public-domain, or at least if the source is
available for some small cost.

Thanks in advance,
------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Chris Toshok                  |  Assistant Systems Administrator
a.k.a. "Toshok the Functional"|  Computer Services
                              |  University of Idaho

phone: (208)885-5562          |  Laboratory for Applied Logic
smail: P.O. Box 3900          |  University of Idaho
       Moscow, Id 83843-1919  |
------------------------------+-----------------------------------
www: http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/lal/students/toshok.dir/toshok.html
------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Chris Toshok                  |  Assistant Systems Administrator
a.k.a. "Toshok the Functional"|  Computer Services
                              |  University of Idaho

phone: (208)885-5562          |  Laboratory for Applied Logic
smail: P.O. Box 3900          |  University of Idaho
       Moscow, Id 83843-1919  |
                              |  Vice Pres.  Student Chapter, ACM
------------------------------+-----------------------------------
www: http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/lal/students/toshok.dir/toshok.html

2. animators send in your web sites.

3. WANTED: The Mind's Eye

4. Quicktime Library problem

5. "Mind's Eye" images

6. colortable objects?

7. FA : The Mind's eye experience Comp Anim 3 videos

8. Beyond the Mind's Eye

9. Gate to the minds Eye..

10. Beyond the Minds Eye

11. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CAN'T READ MY MIND

12. Don't Mind Me: Complaints about Quark Co.