Quicktime 3.0 and Lightwave 3D

Post by Kevin McMill » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone rendered LW to QT 3.0?  How does the output look when it
comes out of a Mac's S-video out.  How is the frame rate if its at full
video res.

Kevin

Post by Eric Kornbl » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

>Has anyone rendered LW to QT 3.0?  How does the output look when it
>comes out of a Mac's S-video out.  How is the frame rate if its at full
>video res.

>Kevin

Ooof. These questions are wide open to interpretations/answers :)
It depends on what resolution you render to, what frame rate, what codec &
data rate, what mac your playing back on, what special hw you have (video
cards, scsi controllers/drives, etc). No easy answer to this question.

Post by Thomas Siverts » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone rendered LW to QT 3.0?  How does the output look when it
> comes out of a Mac's S-video out.  How is the frame rate if its at full
> video res.

> Kevin

Video like it is supposed to be ? Active-movie won`t cut it. It has got
time fluctuations all over the f-ing place...
QT is the thing any way you put it. Output is dependent on the quality
of the renderer and the codec you use...not the API which you program
for. The board you are using must be u to*as well...

Cheers, Thomas Sivertsen

Post by Ivan Smit » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

>>Has anyone rendered LW to QT 3.0?  How does the output look when it
>>comes out of a Mac's S-video out.  How is the frame rate if its at full
>>video res.

>>Kevin

>Ooof. These questions are wide open to interpretations/answers :)
>It depends on what resolution you render to, what frame rate, what codec &
>data rate, what mac your playing back on, what special hw you have (video
>cards, scsi controllers/drives, etc). No easy answer to this question.

I tried rendering a QT movie with QT3.0Pro on a PII300/LW5.6 last night and
it froze the machine (NT) , so it's back to avi as Apple proves yet again
that this *belongs on a Mac. I can't believe I gave Apple AUD$59 of my
money for tihs incompatible heap of %$!t.

Ivan

Post by Eric Kornbl » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

>>>Has anyone rendered LW to QT 3.0?  How does the output look when it
>>>comes out of a Mac's S-video out.  How is the frame rate if its at full
>>>video res.

>>>Kevin

>>Ooof. These questions are wide open to interpretations/answers :)
>>It depends on what resolution you render to, what frame rate, what codec &
>>data rate, what mac your playing back on, what special hw you have (video
>>cards, scsi controllers/drives, etc). No easy answer to this question.

>I tried rendering a QT movie with QT3.0Pro on a PII300/LW5.6 last night and
>it froze the machine (NT) , so it's back to avi as Apple proves yet again
>that this *belongs on a Mac. I can't believe I gave Apple AUD$59 of my
>money for tihs incompatible heap of %$!t.

>Ivan

Yeah, it couldn't possibly be newtek's quicktime plugin. Gotta be apple's
fault. It's obvious after 1 crash.

Quicktime 3.0 and Lightwave 3D

Post by Thomas Siverts » Sun, 31 May 1998 04:00:00

>upposed to be ? Active-movie won`t cut it. It has got
> time fluctuations all over the f-ing place...
> QT is the thing any way you put it. Output is dependent on the quality
> of the renderer and the codec you use...not the API which you program
> for. The board you are using must be u to*as well...

Woops! What was I thinking? Active-movie on a Mac? Of course not
right... I sincerely apologize.

thingywingy... If you haven`t got one of those, check the specs for your
machine/card.

Cheers, Thomas Sivertsen

Post by Ivan Smit » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Yeah, it couldn't possibly be newtek's quicktime plugin. Gotta be apple's
>fault. It's obvious after 1 crash.

No definitely not. MainActor 1.61, Premier 4.2 and Inspire 3D all crash in
the same manner. The one thing I have to say I admire about Apple is that
most of there stuff isn't backwards compatible. Even their hardware and OS.

I'm not shelling out again so soon for Premier 5.0 and god only knows when
the Inspire problem will be fixed.

The best thing I can do is render out a Cinepak compressed AVI and then
convert it with MainActor to QT - at least that works as advertised.

It also transpires that I have some sort of Ultra2SCSI termination issue
going on with my machine and it appears as though this could have been the
locking cause, in conjunction with a UltraIDE drive interface - I'm still
not able to render as QT, but if I disable the SCSI and knock it out for the
save duration the machine mostly renders all the way through saving
QT...mostly..it still crashes or freezes about 1 in 5 times.

I'm not by any means defending the PC or starting a platform war here, but
having come from Amiga land all of this inefficiency and incompatibility
really erks me. It's hardly comforting and I know my productivity is about
30% of what it used to be on Amiga. I intend buying an iMac in August and
running LW on that as well, just so as I can determine whether you really do
get more done on a Macintosh: I'm suspicious.

When NewTek does LightWave for Amiga again - you know where I'll be - you
can have your AVI, AAF, ASF, QT, MOV and your image types TIFF, TGA, BMP,
PICT : they are all well...words fail me....give me MovieShop MJPEG, IFF
Anim, CDXL and the IFF datatype any day over this jumble.

QT3.0 is an expensive heap of rubbish which should be freeware if Apple are
serious about establishing it in the 95% Wintel dominated PC area. Steve
Jobs is a crazy man IMHO - money grabbing and * a slow horse.

Enough!

Ivan.

Post by Eric Kornbl » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>QT3.0 is an expensive heap of rubbish which should be freeware if Apple are
>serious about establishing it in the 95% Wintel dominated PC area. Steve
>Jobs is a crazy man IMHO - money grabbing and * a slow horse.

I can't speak for QT3 on the PC (maybe it has some bugs, this is a major
overhaul and may need an update to handle bugs), but on the Mac, it's a
godsend. I'd hardly call free expensive (and it is free on both the mac &
pc, although there's also a "pro" version for $30, also not what i'd call
expensive). This "pro" version enables extra editing features to the
software that's included with the QT3 download.
It handles dozens of different audio & video formats and allows conversions
among them all the while taking care of sync & frame rate & sample rate
issues.
Video formats it supports include mpeg, DV/FireWire, OpenDML, and AVI, and
it has codecs for graphics/animation (2 rle's), "video", cinepak, sorenson,
intel indeo & raw, vfw (MS Video & RLE), DV/FireWire, m-jpeg (2 formats to
handle the 2 different major m-jpeg chipsets), plus it's architecture allow
for additional codecs as more are developed (like the Eidos codec that's
recently being developed).
Audio formats include aiff/aifc, au, cd, DV/FireWire, mpeg, sound designer
2, wave, IMA, Mace, QDesign, and Qualcomm, and QT's midi implementation
includes the Roland Sound Canvas instrument set with support for GS Format.

Graphics formats include bmp, pict, gif, jpeg/jfif, photoshop, png, sgi,
tga, and tiff.
Also, new to QT3 is built in support for lots of filters (film grain,
noise, sharpening, color tinting, embossing, etc) and transtions (blends,
wipes, fades, etc).
And probably best of all, it allows mixing of multiple "tracks" (audio,
midi, video, graphics, mpeg, sprite, 3d, text, timecode,
filters/transitions, etc) into a single movie with incredible ease
(copy/paste, drag/drop, etc), which is an extremely powerful feature.

I've worked in the Media Lab of Electronic Arts doing multimedia
development for almost 5 years now, and we couldn't live without QT. It is
truly an awesome product, and there's nothing else available that has
anywhere near it's features & capabilities and provides them as an os
service available to any app.

Quicktime 3.0 and Lightwave 3D

Post by Steve Hoefe » Tue, 02 Jun 1998 04:00:00

QT 3.0 thechnology itself is quite keen, but Apple's handling of it is
really foolish.  With the release of 3.0 they discontinued support for QT2,
they're not even selling licenses any more which means that 1) anyone who's
authoring a CD and relying on QT2.0 must spend a bunch of time & money to
recompile it so they can use 3.0.  If you already have CDs pressed, you're
SOL.  It also measn that there is no Win 3.1 support, which is actually a
much bigger problem than you might think as a large percentage of offices
and home users still use  3.1.  And if your' epublishing something with 3.0
and you want to avoid having that stupid "Get QT3.0 Pro Now" screen from
popping up every time, you have to pay Apple $2 a disk.  That's hardly free,
and a lot of developers are going to look at something else before paying
for that...

steve
steven(at)balo(dot)com

Post by Eric Kornbl » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>QT 3.0 thechnology itself is quite keen, but Apple's handling of it is
>really foolish.  With the release of 3.0 they discontinued support for QT2,
>they're not even selling licenses any more which means that 1) anyone who's
>authoring a CD and relying on QT2.0 must spend a bunch of time & money to
>recompile it so they can use 3.0.  If you already have CDs pressed, you're
>SOL.  It also measn that there is no Win 3.1 support, which is actually a
>much bigger problem than you might think as a large percentage of offices
>and home users still use  3.1.  And if your' epublishing something with 3.0
>and you want to avoid having that stupid "Get QT3.0 Pro Now" screen from
>popping up every time, you have to pay Apple $2 a disk.  That's hardly free,
>and a lot of developers are going to look at something else before paying
>for that...

>steve
>steven(at)balo(dot)com

They discontinued support for 2.x, but that doesn't mean 3.0 doesn't
support 2.x's features. Granted there may be some bugs that cause some apps
to have to be recompiled (I have heard of one, so this is something that
certainly can happen), but I haven't heard of many (and there are tons of
apps that use quicktime, so if this was a major problem, we would have
heard about it).
I doubt many people got caught in the transition. The news of QT3's arrival
has been around for quite a long time, so developers had plenty of time to
prepare for the switch. And if there were any that got caught in the
switch, it's unfortunate, but it's not a problem that they'll have to deal
with again (well, until QT4 comes out ;) ). Granted the "Get QT3.0 Pro Now"
spamming is annoying, but considering what you're getting for free, it
seems like a small inconvenience (or just pay the licensing fee). Also,
that message is now only played on launch of the MoviePlayer application
(and not each time your app is launched). Apple changed the licensing
arrangement because of people complaining about that.

1. QuickTime 3.0 + LightWave Plugin

Howdy, kids -

For those of you who haven't heard, Apple has finally released QuickTime
3.0 for Mac and PC:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime

...and, a beta plugin to allow saving animations directly from Intel LW
5.5 to QT 3.0 is available at:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/

The page is in Japanese, but I mean hey, what do you want.

Eric Jones
Webmaster/CGI Developer
www.visionfactory.com

2. Z Depth

3. DXF for 3D studio to Lightwave 3.0

4. vaporizing a solid

5. Quicktime 3.0 vs. 4.0

6. Star trek Models

7. Quicktime 3.0 on iMac is too bright

8. why the 5th sheet of film?

9. Quicktime 3.0 Crashes My PC

10. Quicktime 3.0 movieplayer speed control

11. Using Quicktime 3.0 Features?

12. Quicktime 3.0 limitations?

13. PR: QuickTime 3.0 Chat