Someone sell me LW

Post by Chris Mitchel » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 08:21:19

All,

At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation needs.
Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000 more?

best regards,

Chris Mitchell

 | Christopher John Mitchell.
 | Render Dynamics ltd.
 | Aberdeen, Svotland.

 #########

Someone sell me LW

Post by CH » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 09:42:44

You don't get the headaches associated with trying to make Max do
anything more complicated than opening its box

_______________

CH
www.lexxpark.co.uk
_______________

> All,

> At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation
needs.
> Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

> Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
> What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000
more?

> best regards,

> Chris Mitchell

>  | Christopher John Mitchell.
>  | Render Dynamics ltd.
>  | Aberdeen, Svotland.

>  #########

Someone sell me LW

Post by Tony Gilchris » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 22:44:33

There is very little differnce, from an objective point of view.  MAX has a
few more bells and whistles, but by the time you find them in the
multi-layerd complex and arcane interface, you could have done the same
thing in Lightwave using standard tools.  Really, the differences are few
and not very important, and I find LW more accessible (Interface buttons you
can read the text off of and understand!).

> All,

> At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation needs.
> Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

> Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
> What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000 more?

> best regards,

> Chris Mitchell

>  | Christopher John Mitchell.
>  | Render Dynamics ltd.
>  | Aberdeen, Svotland.

>  #########

Someone sell me LW

Post by CRS Defian » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 01:45:03

A long time ago, on a computer far, far away... "Chris Mitchell"

>All,

>At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation needs.
>Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

>Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
>What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000 more?

LW and MAX have similar features, but LW (at least 5.6) is a LOT more
stable than MAX.

Someone sell me LW

Post by Jeff Kilgro » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 04:17:12

Quote:> All,

> At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation needs.
> Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

> Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
> What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000 more?

With LW, you get a transferable license whereas MAX can't be re-sold or
transfered to anyone else (if it ever becomes necessary).  Other than that, both
apps are about on equal footing...  They both have huge libraries of available
plugins.  LW has a much nicer renderer (IMO), but nice results can be had from
MAX's renderer with a little effort -- MAX has a large number of plug-in
renderers as well that help in this department and for those who are after global
illumination rendering, MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

Right out of the box, just about the only thing that comes with MAX that you
don't get with lightwave (that I can think of) is a primitive button that draws a
teapot.

Personally, I'm a convert from MAX to LW.  In the beginning, it was an issue of
license transfer policy (when Kinetix decided to no longer allow transfer of
ownership), but after diving into LW (especially now that 6.5 is available), I
have to say that I'm glad to have made the switch.

--
- Jeff Kilgroe | change the .NOSPAM to .com to reply
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience

Someone sell me LW

Post by (Alex » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 04:53:52

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001 19:17:12 GMT, "Jeff Kilgroe"

>Right out of the box, just about the only thing that comes with MAX that you
>don't get with lightwave (that I can think of) is a primitive button that draws a
>teapot.

>- Jeff Kilgroe | change the .NOSPAM to .com to reply
>- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
>- www.appliedvisual.com : hired new web guy, new site soon...

Actually, under Construct - Additional is a Teapot primitive.  And
I've never used Max, but I'd have to bet that no version ever came
with "Eagle In A Barrel" standard....  :P

Alex

Someone sell me LW

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 04:57:56

Quote:> MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

Regards

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Someone sell me LW

Post by stephen.gilbert » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:11:58

just to keep things up to date max is now in version 4
with multipass rendering/better than maya ik system/unique bones system with
squash n stretch
dof via camera wiggle and camera motion blur to name but a few things in the
new version....

later

stephen gilbert

Quote:> > MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

> Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

> Regards

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

Someone sell me LW

Post by anima gf » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:22:01

I have them both,
dont be stupid as i did,
just buy lw !!!
stop whining ;-)

> All,

> At the moment I use a cad package - Microstation J for my animation needs.
> Compositing & completion performed with After Effects / Premiere.

> Considering the great deals on a new LW license at the moment.
> What don't I get with LW that I do get that Max at a costs of 3000 more?

> best regards,

> Chris Mitchell

>  | Christopher John Mitchell.
>  | Render Dynamics ltd.
>  | Aberdeen, Svotland.

>  #########

Someone sell me LW

Post by Mike Kenned » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:42:24

Add to that a decent graph editor, decent character deformation, decent
animation, unified workspace, parametric animation, Parameter wiring, the
ability to intergrate with 3D compositing, history, undo's up the yin yang.
Only major draw backs : RAM pig, slows with complex scenes. Good rendering
costs extra.

> just to keep things up to date max is now in version 4
> with multipass rendering/better than maya ik system/unique bones system
with
> squash n stretch
> dof via camera wiggle and camera motion blur to name but a few things in
the
> new version....

> later

> stephen gilbert

> > > MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

> > Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

> > Regards

> > Kevin F Stubbs
> > Kayef Select Limited

Someone sell me LW

Post by Jeff Kilgro » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:56:11

Quote:> > MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

> Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

Well,  according to everything said on the Project Messiah site as well as in the
related discussion groups, not to mention all demos I have ever seen, there is no
functional LW compatible version of Messiah:Render... Yet.  Currently the
renderer only works with MAX and Maya, that's all.

I'm assuming that there will be a Lightwave compatible version of Messiah:Render
at some point, but it doesn't appear to even be in the works yet unless the guys
at PMG are doing an outstanding job of hiding it.

Messiah:Animate, on the other hand, has confirmed Lightwave support - very
understandable considering the existing Lightwave user base of Project Messiah.

--
- Jeff Kilgroe | change the .NOSPAM to .com to reply
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
- www.appliedvisual.com : hired new web guy, new site soon...

Someone sell me LW

Post by Andy » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:42:20

Quote:> Actually, under Construct - Additional is a Teapot primitive.  And
> I've never used Max, but I'd have to bet that no version ever came
> with "Eagle In A Barrel" standard....  :P

> Alex

No kidding, Sparky..!!  ;o)

Someone sell me LW

Post by <{[NuclearwavE]}> » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 22:05:44

Better than Maya ik system???

Don't think so,,, I've read somewhere that Discreet hired a programmer, who
was previously writing the code for Maya1.0 IK,,, That programmer wasn't
working neither on Maya2, nor 3.. and a big number of improvements was made
to Maya 3.

Anyone,, confirm?

> just to keep things up to date max is now in version 4
> with multipass rendering/better than maya ik system/unique bones system
with
> squash n stretch
> dof via camera wiggle and camera motion blur to name but a few things in
the
> new version....

> later

> stephen gilbert

> > > MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

> > Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

> > Regards

> > Kevin F Stubbs
> > Kayef Select Limited

Someone sell me LW

Post by Darren Thompso » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:31:13

You forgot the other thing it has Stephen!!!!

Increased price for Both Max and Character Studio.

Just a little stirring perspective :-)

Roll on version 7

--
Darren I Thompson
New Magic Pty Ltd

> just to keep things up to date max is now in version 4
> with multipass rendering/better than maya ik system/unique bones system
with
> squash n stretch
> dof via camera wiggle and camera motion blur to name but a few things in
the
> new version....

> later

> stephen gilbert

> > > MAX will see Messiah:Render before LW does.

> > Care to elaborate on that little off-hand remark ?

> > Regards

> > Kevin F Stubbs
> > Kayef Select Limited

Someone sell me LW

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 19:03:50

I went to a MAX 4 launch presentation last week. Based on my
observations and the content of the demo, I would like to add the
following notes:

Quote:> with multipass rendering

Got to agree, this is good. Just about the only thing on show that
impressed me. I'd like to see this in Lightwave sometime soon.

Quote:> better than maya ik system

But still not as good as Lightwave from what I could see.

Quote:> unique bones system with squash n stretch

I take it you mean the new parametric bones. Quite handy in the way they
let you create a skeleton that actually resembles your model quite
closely. However, the bone influence methodology they showed was still
pretty poor compared with the one available with LW especially with the
addition of weight maps.

They also were really pleased with a new feature called 'manipulators'.
Just in case anyone is wondering, these are just a different name for
Nulls. They are used in the same way as LW has been using Nulls as
reference objects, etc for a long time. Nice to know that both sides are
doing a bit of stealing :-)

I didn't see anything to make me want to sell LW and switch to MAX.
There is still no real advantage in either of them, so I'll stick what I
know. Oh, that is still one big difference between LW and MAX, if you
find you don't like LW you can always sell it to someone else with
Newtek's blessing. If you don't like MAX, you're stuck with it :-(

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited