OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:37:04

> > If you create a Shortcut to the html file & place that on the Desktop, then
> > you can change the icon & easily rename.  Just Rt click the shortcuts icon
> > to get to its Properties.

>     This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

Yes.  Make sure you give it a relative path in the "target" and "start in"
field entries.

A relative path is the path relative to where the shortcut sits.  So if
your folder tree looked like:

    U:\Folder_One\Sub_Folder\Information\text\pictures\other

top to bottom and your Shortcut icon was located in:

    U:\Folder_One\Sub_Folder\Information

then the relative path to a documment in:

    U:\Folder_One\Sub_Folder\Information\text\pictures

would be:

    text\pictures\Documment_name.htm

the relative path to a documment in:

    U:\Folder_One

would be:

    \\Documment_name.htm

and if they are both in the same folder it's just the Documment_name.htm
alone.  If you have to put something for the "Start in" path in that case
just drop it back one and point it to itself like:

    \Information

--
This kind of relative path works in unix (all) AmigaDos and Windows (all)
and I think in MS-Dos from 2.0 and up.  Mac maybe different. I donno.

That's it.  All done.

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:16:57

> >     Cool, Frank, but what I meant was ........man it's hard to phrase!  My
> > customer will be distributing CDs in HTML format.  I just want to swap in
> > their logo for the standard html icon that you see when you open the
> > folder/disk etc.

> The default icons for filetypes, such as HTML, are read from libraries,
> .EXEs, or lone .ICO files at Windows startup, so, a PC used to view your
> CD will see its own default icon for an HTML file in the root.

> I guess you can follow another earlier suggestion, and hide your entry
> HTML file away in a folder, and point to it with a shortcut with a
> custom icon.  I haven't tried that...

> As to how to do it on the Mac, who knows about that stuff.  Mac users, I
> guess.

For Mac just do "File Info" on the file you want the Icon changed for
Select the Icon Image in the Info pannel and "paste" in the new icon.
Done!  A different Icon for each html file is no problem.  You
can do it on windows too with one of those shareware packaging tool
thingys but I don't how to do it by hand.

OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Will » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 12:31:42

Quote:>    This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

Best bet for a CD would be to use autorun to make the CD itself have an icon,
rather than the individual HTML files...

Look for autorun.inf on any CD you've got that has an autorun and you will see
something like this:
**************************
[autorun]
open=Launch.exe
icon=Launch.exe
**************************

(Without the *'s -- they are just meant to indicate the start/end of the
file...)

Note the icon= line, and you should be all set.

Also note :  If you want to test autorun without burning a CD, it does work on
hard drive partitions...  I once made my C:\ drive autorun a file browser app.
It was pointless, but it was interesting...
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

Post by Lee Gabe » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:40:50

> ohhhh, i thought he wanted it for a specific html file to work automatically
> when someone went to the site, my bad

FYI on the above, do a search for "favicon.ico"

--
All the best, Lee Gabel
Luna Seven Imagery * www.lunaseven.com

Post by Seattle Eri » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:49:04

> >     This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

> Yes.  Make sure you give it a relative path in the "target" and "start in"
> field entries.<SNIP>

    Thanks Tess.  I'll save this info and give it a whirl.

Eric

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

Post by Seattle Eri » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:50:37

> >    This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

> Best bet for a CD would be to use autorun to make the CD itself have an icon,
> rather than the individual HTML files...

> Look for autorun.inf on any CD you've got that has an autorun and you will see
> something like this:
> **************************
> [autorun]
> open=Launch.exe
> icon=Launch.exe
> **************************

> (Without the *'s -- they are just meant to indicate the start/end of the
> file...)

> Note the icon= line, and you should be all set.

    Hmmmm, but where does the logo image go??

    Thanks for your help.

Post by Seattle Eri » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:53:30

> >     Cool, Frank, but what I meant was ........man it's hard to phrase!  My
> > customer will be distributing CDs in HTML format.  I just want to swap in
> > their logo for the standard html icon that you see when you open the
> > folder/disk etc.

> The default icons for filetypes, such as HTML, are read from libraries,
> .EXEs, or lone .ICO files at Windows startup, so, a PC used to view your
> CD will see its own default icon for an HTML file in the root.

    *.ico files are icon imagery?  I suppose a batch file could have an *.ico
file associated w/it, and it could simply launch the browser........<mull, mull,
mull>

Quote:> I guess you can follow another earlier suggestion, and hide your entry
> HTML file away in a folder, and point to it with a shortcut with a
> custom icon.  I haven't tried that...

    That seems conceptually the simplest.......such as it is. >;^\

    Thanks Frank!

Eric

Quote:> As to how to do it on the Mac, who knows about that stuff.  Mac users, I
> guess.

    I'm not going to worry about the angry 3%.

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Will » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:28:58

Quote:

>    Hmmmm, but where does the logo image go??

>    Thanks for your help.

Just use a ".ico" file and specify it in the autorun instead of an .exe