OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Seattle Eri » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:29:19

OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC

    Is it possible under Windoze to associate an icon with an HTML
file?  So that the user sees something other than the standard html
icon?

    (FWIW, it's for a 3d client................)

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

Post by Brizo » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:49:54

| OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC
|
|     Is it possible under Windoze to associate an icon with an HTML
| file?  So that the user sees something other than the standard html
| icon?
|

|     (FWIW, it's for a 3d client................)

its a bit of html code IIRC, google for it, or find a site that does it
(check through your favorites to see if you have one there already) and see
what they did, its relativly easy though from what i remember

OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Ma3r » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:04:59

If you create a Shortcut to the html file & place that on the Desktop, then
you can change the icon & easily rename.  Just Rt click the shortcuts icon
to get to its Properties.

M.
--
(Hint: The 3 is silent. Remove if replying privately.)

Quote:> OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC

Post by Brizo » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:10:41

| If you create a Shortcut to the html file & place that on the
| Desktop, then you can change the icon & easily rename.  Just Rt click
| the shortcuts icon to get to its Properties.
|
| M.
|

|| OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC
||     Is it possible under Windoze to associate an icon with an HTML
|| file?  So that the user sees something other than the standard html
|| icon?
||     (FWIW, it's for a 3d client................)
|| --
|| ***************************************************
|| **  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!
|| ****************************************************

ohhhh, i thought he wanted it for a specific html file to work automatically
when someone went to the site, my bad

Post by u.. » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:00:55

> OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC

>     Is it possible under Windoze to associate an icon with an HTML
> file?  So that the user sees something other than the standard html
> icon?

If you mean an icon in the title bar of a browser - I'm no html expert,
but here's how I did it, based on instructions snagged from the web.
Make a 16X16 icon. Name it favicon.ico.  Put it in the root dir of your
website. Include the following code in each page of the site on which
you wish the icon to appear in the URL bar:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.WHATEVER.com/favicon.ico">

I put the code between HEAD and BODY, but I don't remember why.

[www.WHATEVER.com] is to be substituted with the name of the site
inflicted with the tiny icon.  See my URL below for an example...

_______________
Frank?? Panucci
www.frankpanucci.com

Post by Will » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:43:01

Quote:

>OFF TOPIC:   'WWWAAAYYY OFF TOPIC

>    Is it possible under Windoze to associate an icon with an HTML
>file?  So that the user sees something other than the standard html
>icon?

>    (FWIW, it's for a 3d client................)

You can associate a specific icon with all HTML files, but it's a per-computer
thing, not a per-file thing.

Of course, this is very easy with System 7 and later for the Mac...  :P

Unfortunately, the only easy was I can think of to do what you want involves
building an actual .exe file, and that involves a *very* broad definition of
"easy..."
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

Post by Seattle Eri » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:18:06

> If you create a Shortcut to the html file & place that on the Desktop, then
> you can change the icon & easily rename.  Just Rt click the shortcuts icon
> to get to its Properties.

    This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Seattle Eri » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:20:24

    Cool, Frank, but what I meant was ........man it's hard to phrase!  My
customer will be distributing CDs in HTML format.  I just want to swap in
their logo for the standard html icon that you see when you open the
folder/disk etc.

    Thanks for the help!

Post by u.. » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:09:08

>     Cool, Frank, but what I meant was ........man it's hard to phrase!  My
> customer will be distributing CDs in HTML format.  I just want to swap in
> their logo for the standard html icon that you see when you open the
> folder/disk etc.

The default icons for filetypes, such as HTML, are read from libraries,
.EXEs, or lone .ICO files at Windows startup, so, a PC used to view your
CD will see its own default icon for an HTML file in the root.

I guess you can follow another earlier suggestion, and hide your entry
HTML file away in a folder, and point to it with a shortcut with a
custom icon.  I haven't tried that...

As to how to do it on the Mac, who knows about that stuff.  Mac users, I
guess.

_______________
Frank?? Panucci
www.frankpanucci.com

OT: attaching an icon to a *.htm file

Post by Ma3r » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:16:55

That's getting out of my area of knowledge to be honest, but I'd think it
would.  The shortcut link has to be valid of course.  Should be pretty easy
to test.

M.
--
(Hint: The 3 is silent. Remove if replying privately.)

> > If you create a Shortcut to the html file & place that on the Desktop,
then
> > you can change the icon & easily rename.  Just Rt click the shortcuts
icon
> > to get to its Properties.

>     This is for distribution on a CD--- would a shortcut work on a CD??

> --
> **  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

1. Psp5 icon attached to Psp6 files

How do I get the Psp6 icon to show against the files I save in Psp6?  At the
moment, the icon that shows in Explorer is Psp5.  I believe the files are
being saved in Psp6 format, since they won't open in Psp5.

DJ

2. Visual C++ cannot read glut library

3. HTM files: Can graphics be saved *in* file?

4. Just another web site opened.

5. How to attach icons to gl applications ?

6. Ulead PSE 3.0 troubles

7. How do attach more than one icon to an application

8. Head over to the bin group for....

9. icons in res-file replace app icon

10. .htm file reader

11. how to view htm files