Newbie needs information about converting .lwo files to .3ds files to use with DirectX

Newbie needs information about converting .lwo files to .3ds files to use with DirectX

Post by Jeff » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

I am a newcomer to the Lightwave/Inspire world, and have learned a lot from
reading this newsgroup when I can.  Thanks to all of you.

I bought Inspire 3D about a month ago to create models that will be used
with Microsoft DirectX, which uses .x files.

Microsoft supplies a program that converts .3ds files to .x files only.

I need to know how to convert .lwo files to .3ds files.  The doc mentions a
converter plugin, which I have tried.  But the converted .3ds file format
appears to be the same as that for .lwo when I look at it in Microsoft VC++.

Before I begin a project that will consume many hours, I'd like to know how
one converts .lwo to .3ds; so I don't end up with a .lwo object that can no
longer be converted to 3ds.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks,

Jeff Nilson  (not Marietta)

Newbie needs information about converting .lwo files to .3ds files to use with DirectX

Post by evild.. » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

Well, I think in Inspire it's the same as in LW.
Once you have your object in the Modeler, go to
Tools, Custom and there, you should have a plugin named
LO3DS, use it and then save as .3ds your object, it should be a 3DS
object/file now.

CU

ED

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

1. 3d studio/Max .3ds or TrueSpace .cob files into Lightwave .lwo files???-ryg

Hiya, i'm trying to locate a converter or some sort, that will change 3ds
objects or cob objects into Lightwave ones for the pc (or even amiga as i think
the pc version supports them ;o)

Can anyone help at all?

THanks
RYgz ;o)
Multimedia Student
imho- the best Hagen-Danz Ice cream is "STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE"
You REALLY must try it!! One tub goes REAL well with an episode of Star Trek.
(heh heh it takes about 45 minutes to tthaw completely anyway ;o)

Ryg'zy

2. TCP/IP printing

3. <FREE>Bulk Storage tank model

4. Can I input an object in a lwo file to another lwo file

5. Can I use MS Office exe icons in my own app? Legal?

6. Newbie question: Converting an env map file back to tiff file

7. create shapes at runtime

8. how do i convert a .3ds file to a .rib file

9. Using POB SDK to convert .POV files to .POB files

10. Need help with converted .3DS files

11. convert IGES files to LWO

12. File Formats - LWO, 3DS