Lightwave Versus 3dsMAX

Post by Nick Vanderve » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

        I've been looking at the various different kinds of 3d programs available,
and I've kinda centered on 3dsMAX or Lightwave. The only problem is that I
don't know which one to pick.
        Would someone give me a solid reason for picking one over the other? Which
program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
of plugins?

?

Thanx

Lightwave Versus 3dsMAX

Post by fish » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

>         I've been looking at the various different kinds of 3d programs available,
> and I've kinda centered on 3dsMAX or Lightwave. The only problem is that I
> don't know which one to pick.
>         Would someone give me a solid reason for picking one over the other? Which
> program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
> of plugins?

> ?

> Thanx

Both proggy`s have their good and bad things...personaly I think Max is
more powerfull for character animation but rather slow in rendering and
no raytracing (plugin), and from what I`ve seen the render quality looks
still a bit like 3D studio, but that`s my opinion and some people even
like that. Lightwave is very fast in the rendering department and
together with Gaffer it has very good quality, and can do allmost
anything Max can ( exept for thing like volumetric lights, yet ) but it
just takes more time, and MAX has not Nurbs yet ( they promissed this in
the coming 2.0 version, if I`m not misstaken ), and for Max you have to
buy a plugin for almost averything, the good thing about this that you
can choose from different developers, the bad thing is that it will cost
you.For Max you have amazing plugins, and considering the short time
it`s been on the market things go very fast for Max.
With Lightwave I can do most things very fast, and it`s much cheaper.
Like I said it depends on what you want to do, how much money you have,
and what kind of jobs you are doing, or expecting to do. I personaly
realy like plugins like biped, phisyque, clothrays or metarays...but
I`ll wait untill I really need them for a job considering the costs
involved.

--
      RONALD VAN VEMDEN

    *FISH LABORATORIES
3D animation & computergraphics

Lightwave Versus 3dsMAX

Post by dro » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
> of plugins?

> ?

> Thanx

Without having to add a ton of plugins ... Lightwave is better.

droo

Lightwave Versus 3dsMAX

Post by Tareq Mirz » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

> > program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
> > of plugins?

> > ?

> > Thanx

> Without having to add a ton of plugins ... Lightwave is better.

> droo

It's also a lot faster on limited hardware. I am using both at work, and
on a pentium 133 with 64 megs of ram....MAX gets dog slow.
LightWave flys:)

--
Tareq
Digital Monkey ... all around flunky.

http://service.ogi.com/staff/tareq (moving soon)

1. 3dsMAX versus Lightwave

Hi,

        I've been looking at the various different kinds of 3d programs available,
and I've kinda centered on 3dsMAX or Lightwave. The only problem is that I
don't know which one to pick.
        Would someone give me a solid reason for picking one over the other? Which
program is better? Which is the more powerful, without having to add a ton
of plugins?

?

Thanx

2. Physical Mesh Algorithm Question

3. Lightwave versus Maya

4. Tubeaholics Anonymous?

5. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

6. Different PSP7 users in XP home, now need to edit registry

7. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 for multimedia

8. VERY SORRY

9. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

10. Re(2): MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

11. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC f