Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by RE77 » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:02:59



I was going through chapter 14 on expression animation and found that some of
the things listed in the book just dont work right (or I cant figure out what I
did wrong) . Everything works fine until I try to set up the Landing_Gear_Cycle
Null. I set all the parameters as the book says for Cycler and set a new
keyframe for the Null to 60. Its suppose to slow the landing gear animation to
fit the 60 frames. It starts out right but when it hits frame 30 it jumps to
the end of the animation. I noticed that the scene on the cd-rom for this
chapter doesnt work right either for the landing gear. I went through the
tutorial 3 times and the same happened each time. I am using Lightwave 6.5 beta
R2 so I suppose this may be the problem. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

MJ

 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by Colin K Heap » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Been there, done that.
Yup, the probem is in the book, Jarrod & Dan are aware of it. Set yuor end
frame to -1 not 60, then when your keyframe is set at 60, the animation
covers the correct length.
-Col


Quote:> I was going through chapter 14 on expression animation and found that some
of
> the things listed in the book just dont work right (or I cant figure out
what I
> did wrong) . Everything works fine until I try to set up the
Landing_Gear_Cycle
> Null. I set all the parameters as the book says for Cycler and set a new
> keyframe for the Null to 60. Its suppose to slow the landing gear
animation to
> fit the 60 frames. It starts out right but when it hits frame 30 it jumps
to
> the end of the animation. I noticed that the scene on the cd-rom for this
> chapter doesnt work right either for the landing gear. I went through the
> tutorial 3 times and the same happened each time. I am using Lightwave 6.5
beta
> R2 so I suppose this may be the problem. Any suggestions would be great.
> Thanks

> MJ


 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by Dan Abla » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:00:00


Yep - thanks...

we're updating for the next print run.

I'll add this info to the errata at www.danablan.com

Dan



> Been there, done that.
> Yup, the probem is in the book, Jarrod & Dan are aware of it. Set yuor end
> frame to -1 not 60, then when your keyframe is set at 60, the animation
> covers the correct length.
> -Col



> > I was going through chapter 14 on expression animation and found that
some
> of
> > the things listed in the book just dont work right (or I cant figure out
> what I
> > did wrong) . Everything works fine until I try to set up the
> Landing_Gear_Cycle
> > Null. I set all the parameters as the book says for Cycler and set a new
> > keyframe for the Null to 60. Its suppose to slow the landing gear
> animation to
> > fit the 60 frames. It starts out right but when it hits frame 30 it
jumps
> to
> > the end of the animation. I noticed that the scene on the cd-rom for
this
> > chapter doesnt work right either for the landing gear. I went through
the
> > tutorial 3 times and the same happened each time. I am using Lightwave
6.5
> beta
> > R2 so I suppose this may be the problem. Any suggestions would be great.
> > Thanks

> > MJ

 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by Pres NEVIN » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:37:54


Ok, what page? I'm not there yet, but it's good to write these things down
beforehand.


> Been there, done that.
> Yup, the probem is in the book, Jarrod & Dan are aware of it. Set yuor end
> frame to -1 not 60, then when your keyframe is set at 60, the animation
> covers the correct length.
> -Col



>> I was going through chapter 14 on expression animation and found that some of
>> the things listed in the book just dont work right (or I cant figure out what
>> I did wrong) . Everything works fine until I try to set up the
>> Landing_Gear_Cycle >> Null. I set all the parameters as the book says for
>> Cycler and set a new keyframe for the Null to 60. Its suppose to slow the
>> landing gear animation to fit the 60 frames. It starts out right but when it
>> hits frame 30 it jumps to the end of the animation. I noticed that the scene
>> on the cd-rom for this chapter doesnt work right either for the landing gear.
>> I went through the tutorial 3 times and the same happened each time. I am
>> using Lightwave 6.5 beta R2 so I suppose this may be the problem. Any
>> suggestions would be great.
>> Thanks

>> MJ

--
Pres NEVINS
Nishinomiya, Japan!
<http://cvnweb.bai.ne.jp/~preston/>
 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by RE77 » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:33:03


Thanks for the responce. Its on page 563-564.
Anyway, small error, Great Book.
Keep up the good work Dan.
Looking forward to the next one :)

MJ

 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by RE77 » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:00:10


Just found something else that seems weird. When I add ChannelFollower to
Wing_Star or Hinge_Star and set its motion to Wing_Port and Hinge_Port it works
, but if I try and move the Global Null or the Control Null the Wing_Star and
Hinge_Star animate and move away from the ship. Is this another typo in the
book
or have I just missed something. Thanks

MJ

 
 
 

Inside Lightwave[6] Tutorial help

Post by Nick Hatzichristo » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:25:59


I think, if I got what you said right, that it's a weird bug. It happens to
me too, when I rotate lights, for example, in a scene with heavy use of
expressions (the ChannelFollower is a simplified expression too, mind you).
While I handle the light, some objects slowly move or rotate in weird ways.
I just move a frame back and then forward and it snaps back where it should
be, but it's still a pain when that strangely rotating / moving object is
exactly the one you 're trying to light !!!
I haven't been able to reproduce the bug under specific enough
circumstances, it just happens here and there. That's why I haven't reported
it to NewTek. Can anyone help / look into this ?

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
3D Animator
Visual FX & Post Production

ICQ# : 48636115
http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx


Quote:> Just found something else that seems weird. When I add ChannelFollower to
> Wing_Star or Hinge_Star and set its motion to Wing_Port and Hinge_Port it
works
> , but if I try and move the Global Null or the Control Null the Wing_Star
and
> Hinge_Star animate and move away from the ship. Is this another typo in
the
> book
> or have I just missed something. Thanks

> MJ

 
 
 

1. Help with city tutorial for Inside Lightwave 7!

Any one else trying to do the Architectural tutorial?  I ended up with a 65
meg file.  I have  a dual 2.4 gig Xeon, Quadro 750 XGL card with a gig of
RAM, and the file chugs so much I can't even work with it.  Does this sound
right, or is there something that needs to be configured in my system?
Should my system be able to handle a 65meg file without too much trouble?

Thanks,  I would appreciate help

2. FS: Legal, with licenses Maya, 3Dsmax 3.0, LW, SoftImage

3. Inside Lightwave 3D - Cloning Bone Tutorial Help

4. text+tiff->tiff under linux?

5. Inside LightWave 3D tutorials, Chapter 13

6. Help: glTexImage2D

7. Need Help with "Inside Lightwave [6]"

8. Wanted - Alias kinematic viewer

9. Help with Inside Lightwave example

10. Need Help with Lightwave PG Tutorial

11. Inside LW7 Bone tutorial error?

12. Inside 6 Newbie tutorial problem

13. Inside LW5.5 - Cloning bone tutorial - the missing bits