Motion capture HELP/advice needed : )

Post by Fred » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody,
for once, I need your help/input on something I nearly don't know.
What device do you use/can we use to get motion capture files into LW?
What hardware/software/plugins?
Any answer, link, advice is welcome! : )
The only thing I know is that there's a plugin in layout that says MD
capture, and that ask for .mox files. : )
Thanks for listening....

--
Fredlight, &
MTFBWY!

Prof.:

Site:
http://welcome.to/fredlights

Motion capture HELP/advice needed : )

Post by Darren Crus » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I believe the MD capture plug-in is for Motion Designer (which is a softbody
dynamics program not motion capture), but starting with 5.6 (I believe)
there has been an importer for Acclaim data.  Unfortunately I had heard from
people it's not really quite right - the only affordable alternative I know
of is Lifeforms for getting mocap data into Lightwave, although at Siggraph
this year it looked like Kaydara Filmbox was getting really popular and it
can generate Lightwave scene files from mocap data.  It starts at $5000
though so it isn't cheap.

And neither is any motion capture hardware from what I've seen.  Optical
systems like from Vicon and Motion Analysis are in the 100's of thousands of
dollars, and magnetic systems (Ascension, Polhemous) can approach $100,000
for the latest wireless models.  Polhemous had last years model for around
$35000 I believe.  Other than that there are things like the Gypsy, which is
a suit with potentiometers at the joints, but from my limited exposure to it
I am still very skeptical you get anything like the accuracy of motion you
get from the other systems, and it's still around $20000 I believe.  The
only thing I'd seen in my price range is a couple systems that lets you use
camcorders and things like the Iomega Buz to rig together what is basically
a lower sample, labor intensive, optical mocap system.  One of these is from
a German company called SIMI, and there is another one called APAS from
Ariel Dynamics, although Ariel's emphasis is gait analysis not animation, so
they don't export any of the popular mocap file formats.

All the above is why a lot of productions use mocap service bureaus that let
you basically rent their expensive mocap equipment for your project.  House
of Moves would be the big name there, but I've been working with BioVision
in St. Louis, which is a newer facility but the people there are fantastic.
They have the Vicon 8.  I'd be happy to give you their contact info if
you're serious, but do know this is not hobbyist priced stuff.

Darren Cruse
Freak Accident Digitial Media

> Hi everybody,
> for once, I need your help/input on something I nearly don't know.
> What device do you use/can we use to get motion capture files into LW?
> What hardware/software/plugins?
> Any answer, link, advice is welcome! : )
> The only thing I know is that there's a plugin in layout that says MD
> capture, and that ask for .mox files. : )
> Thanks for listening....

> --
> Fredlight, &
> MTFBWY!
> Email:

> Prof.:

> Site:
> http://welcome.to/fredlights

Motion capture HELP/advice needed : )

Post by Fred » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Darren for your reply,
It' s for serious stuff, I work for a company which is more in multimedia
stuff but tries to do more and more
3D work etc.... so if a project really neeeds mocap, the price is not really
an issue.
the thing is, we are based in London..... :  )
But all you gave is a good starting point...
Thanks again. :  )
Frederic from www.deepend.co.uk

--
Fredlight, &