DEC Alpha asks: Lightwave's OpenGL?

Post by Brandon Van Ever » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hey Folks,

I'm in the Commodity Graphics group at DECWest (a stone's throw from
Microsoft.)  My job, and the focus of our group, is to make commodity
graphics cards (like Matrox) go really fast on Windows NT Alpha.  Currently
we are working on OpenGL, and we will probably be working on Direct3D in
the future.

What do you think of Lightwave's new OpenGL support?  Is it a good feature?
 Does it help your work a lot, or is it not that relevant?  How's the speed
of OpenGL on the platform you're using?

Cheers,
--
Brandon J. Van Every       |  Free3d: old code never dies!  :-)
                           |  Starter code for GNU Copyleft projects.
DEC Graphics & Multimedia  |

Post by Walter (J » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: DEC Alpha asks: Lightwave's OpenGL?
>Date: 12 Oct 1996 08:25:40 GMT
>Hey Folks,
>I'm in the Commodity Graphics group at DECWest (a stone's throw from
>Microsoft.)  My job, and the focus of our group, is to make commodity
>graphics cards (like Matrox) go really fast on Windows NT Alpha.  Currently
>we are working on OpenGL, and we will probably be working on Direct3D in
>the future.
>What do you think of Lightwave's new OpenGL support?  Is it a good feature?
> Does it help your work a lot, or is it not that relevant?  How's the speed
>of OpenGL on the platform you're using?
>Cheers,
>--
>Brandon J. Van Every       |  Free3d: old code never dies!  :-)
>                           |  Starter code for GNU Copyleft projects.

OpenGL for LightWave is wonderfull.  A really great feature.  The problem is
that the fast OpenGL cards seem to cost more than a PPro motherboard with
chip.  I am hoping that LW will support texturing under OpenGL in the near
future and that fast OpenGL cards will start to cost less than a fast
motherboard and CPU.

Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.primenet.com/~wturber
http://www.studio522.com         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

DEC Alpha asks: Lightwave's OpenGL?

Post by George Maestr » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> >Hey Folks,

> >I'm in the Commodity Graphics group at DECWest (a stone's throw from
> >Microsoft.)  My job, and the focus of our group, is to make commodity
> >graphics cards (like Matrox) go really fast on Windows NT Alpha.  Currently
> >we are working on OpenGL, and we will probably be working on Direct3D in
> >the future.
>What do you think of Lightwave's new OpenGL support?  Is it a good feature?
> Does it help your work a lot, or is it not that relevant?  How's the speed
>of OpenGL on the platform you're using?

Not to slam Lightwave, but if you're looking for an app
that really beats up on OpenGL, try Softimage.  You
really can't even use it without a decent GL card.  If you
can make a card that runs Softimage fast, you have a card
that will make all GL apps (including LW) even faster.

George.

1. Future of Lightwave on Digital (DEC) Alpha Platform

I'm getting ready to compile my first "commercial grade" plug-in, and as
I researched compiling for different platforms, I discovered that
Microsoft has moved its Visual C++ Risc Edition (last version was 5.0)
into the old products section of its web site, and there is no mention
of a version 6.  I then went to Digital's web site (Developer Section)
to see what they had to say.  Basically, it looks like Digital is
releasing a SDK that allows developers to develop applications for
Digital UNIX using Microsoft's Visual Studio on a Wintel machine.

I am a major proponent of the Alpha "super computer" platform, and if I
could, I'd have nothing but Alpha machines in my shop.

So here's my question:  As product development moves forward at Newtek,
and as they upgrade compilers, what is the future of the Alpha NT port?
Can Newtek compile future versions of Alpha Lightwave without an updated
C++ compiler for the Alpha NT platform, or are there other Alpha NT
compilers out there that I am not aware of?

And here's my request:  If I could run Lightwave on a Digital (DEC)
Alpha super computer under Digital UNIX...WOW, that's all I can say.
Bye Bye Microsoft, Bye Bye Intel, Hello Real Time Animations.

Don't forget to remove the NOSPAM from my return e-mail if you wish to
intelligently and succinctly respond directly to the author this post.

Dan Katzenberger
Katzenberg USA Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

All company and product names listed above are the property of their
respective owners.

2. Non-convex Polygon Intersection

3. Lightwave for Dec Alpha

4. Volume Rendering with POV-Ray