eMachines (killer or crud?)

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Tesselato » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:55:06



I went to the shop 4 days ago and saw a new PC makers
offerings.  Well "eMachines" in new in Japan anyway.
Anyone have any expirience with these boxes?  Any
comments on the Co. or thier products?  Here's
what I saw:

    - Ti4200 64meg NVidia (card)
    - P4 2.40C gig (w/ hyper threading)
    - 800 Mhz FSB  (Important feature!)
    - Intel 855g Extreme 2 3D onboard
    - AC 97 Audio
    - 256mb ram (2gig max)  [PC2700 DDR-SDRAM]
    - PCI x3 (two64bit one32bit according to the salesman)
    - AGP 8x
    - 80Meg IBM HD (dual chan ATA133 IDE)
    - CD-RW
    - DVD-Rom
    - USB 2.0 x6
    - 100BaseTX / 10BaseT
    - Fax-Modem 56k
    - Speakers,
    - a cool looking I-Net keyboard & mouse (maybe 4 buttons?)
    - Speakers
    - Windows XP Pro + Roxio, Norton, PowerDVD, etc.
    - 1 year (same day) parts and labor

    - $550.00 before tax

and same specs but with 512meg ram, 2.60C P4, and a DVD+RW

    - $800.00 before tax

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Will » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:07:30


Quote:>I went to the shop 4 days ago and saw a new PC makers
>offerings.  Well "eMachines" in new in Japan anyway.
>Anyone have any expirience with these boxes?  Any
>comments on the Co. or thier products?  Here's
>what I saw:

>    - Ti4200 64meg NVidia (card)
>    - P4 2.40C gig (w/ hyper threading)
>    - 800 Mhz FSB  (Important feature!)
>    - Intel 855g Extreme 2 3D onboard
>    - AC 97 Audio
>    - 256mb ram (2gig max)  [PC2700 DDR-SDRAM]
>    - PCI x3 (two64bit one32bit according to the salesman)
>    - AGP 8x
>    - 80Meg IBM HD (dual chan ATA133 IDE)
>    - CD-RW
>    - DVD-Rom
>    - USB 2.0 x6
>    - 100BaseTX / 10BaseT
>    - Fax-Modem 56k
>    - Speakers,
>    - a cool looking I-Net keyboard & mouse (maybe 4 buttons?)
>    - Speakers
>    - Windows XP Pro + Roxio, Norton, PowerDVD, etc.
>    - 1 year (same day) parts and labor

>    - $550.00 before tax

>and same specs but with 512meg ram, 2.60C P4, and a DVD+RW

>    - $800.00 before tax

Stay away from E - Machines.  I don't know anybody who has been happy with
them.  E - Machines is the one brand of computer that we tell people we pretty
much never buy at the used computer store I work at.  They usually have crazy
little power supplies that die in a few months, and are proprietary and hard to
get ahold of.

OTOH, they may be doing different models in Japan.  The E-Machines I'm used to
seing are the crazy cheap $399 models, so it's possible the $800 box actually
has some decent components, but I wouldn't expect it.
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by js33 » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:00:22


Yeah they used be the real budget machines.
Sub $400. I never paid any attention to them
but I seem to remember reading that they got better
along the way. Don't know about the power supply though.
I would just open one up and see what's inside before I buy.

Cheers,
JS


Quote:> >I went to the shop 4 days ago and saw a new PC makers
> >offerings.  Well "eMachines" in new in Japan anyway.
> >Anyone have any expirience with these boxes?  Any
> >comments on the Co. or thier products?  Here's
> >what I saw:

> >    - Ti4200 64meg NVidia (card)
> >    - P4 2.40C gig (w/ hyper threading)
> >    - 800 Mhz FSB  (Important feature!)
> >    - Intel 855g Extreme 2 3D onboard
> >    - AC 97 Audio
> >    - 256mb ram (2gig max)  [PC2700 DDR-SDRAM]
> >    - PCI x3 (two64bit one32bit according to the salesman)
> >    - AGP 8x
> >    - 80Meg IBM HD (dual chan ATA133 IDE)
> >    - CD-RW
> >    - DVD-Rom
> >    - USB 2.0 x6
> >    - 100BaseTX / 10BaseT
> >    - Fax-Modem 56k
> >    - Speakers,
> >    - a cool looking I-Net keyboard & mouse (maybe 4 buttons?)
> >    - Speakers
> >    - Windows XP Pro + Roxio, Norton, PowerDVD, etc.
> >    - 1 year (same day) parts and labor

> >    - $550.00 before tax

> >and same specs but with 512meg ram, 2.60C P4, and a DVD+RW

> >    - $800.00 before tax

> Stay away from E - Machines.  I don't know anybody who has been happy with
> them.  E - Machines is the one brand of computer that we tell people we
pretty
> much never buy at the used computer store I work at.  They usually have
crazy
> little power supplies that die in a few months, and are proprietary and
hard to
> get ahold of.

> OTOH, they may be doing different models in Japan.  The E-Machines I'm
used to
> seing are the crazy cheap $399 models, so it's possible the $800 box
actually
> has some decent components, but I wouldn't expect it.
> ------------------
> Woooogy
> I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to
tell
> myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell
myself.  I
> love temp*mechanics.

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by DarkScienc » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:03:38



> Yeah they used be the real budget machines.
> Sub $400. I never paid any attention to them
> but I seem to remember reading that they got better
> along the way. Don't know about the power supply though.
> I would just open one up and see what's inside before I buy.

eMachines have gotten a lot better.  But you still get what you pay for and when
you spend $400 on a P4 system, you still get crap.

I think they use standard micro-ATX PSUs, but I could be wrong.  I haven't dug
around inside of one for a long time and don't really have a desire to do so.

--
- Jeff Kilgroe
- Applied Visual Technologies | DarkScience
- www.appliedvisual.com
- Have a multiprocessor Windows system? Download xCPU, it's free!

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Ronald Step » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:02:40



Quote:> Stay away from E - Machines.  I don't know anybody who has been
happy with
> them.  E - Machines is the one brand of computer that we tell people
we pretty
> much never buy at the used computer store I work at.  They usually

have crazy

*cough* packard bell *cough*

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Will » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:14:07


Quote:>*cough* packard bell *cough*

Yup, E-Machines and HP Pavillions use the same little tiny power supplies.  We
recycle more of them per week than we do standard ATX ones, despite the fact
that standard/"other" power supplies are way more common than the little
HP/E-Machines/ Mini-ATX power supplies.  I assume that *somebody* must make a
decent power supply in that form factor, but neither HP nor E-machines seems to
care.

Hopefully, what people say is true, and the E-Machines have gotten better.
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Ronald Step » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:11:59



Quote:> >*cough* packard bell *cough*

> Yup, E-Machines and HP Pavillions use the same little tiny power
supplies.  We
> recycle more of them per week than we do standard ATX ones, despite
the fact
> that standard/"other" power supplies are way more common than the
little
> HP/E-Machines/ Mini-ATX power supplies.  I assume that *somebody*
must make a
> decent power supply in that form factor, but neither HP nor
E-machines seems to
> care.

Not Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell... HPs are pretty good [nowadays],
but Packard Bell, along with E-Machines, kept/keeps most of the home
computer builders in business.. heh
 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Will » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:39:16


Quote:>Not Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell... HPs are pretty good [nowadays],
>but Packard Bell, along with E-Machines, kept/keeps most of the home
>computer builders in business.. heh

I dunno, man.  The service department of the PC shop I work at almost *always*
has several of the squat little dark gray HP Pavillions in for a "won't start
up" type issue.

I'm sure the higher end HP's work great, same as a Deskpro is gonna be more
reliable than a Presario, etc.
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Ronald Step » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:39:09



Quote:> >Not Hewlett Packard, Packard Bell... HPs are pretty good
[nowadays],
> >but Packard Bell, along with E-Machines, kept/keeps most of the
home
> >computer builders in business.. heh

> I dunno, man.  The service department of the PC shop I work at
almost *always*
> has several of the squat little dark gray HP Pavillions in for a
"won't start
> up" type issue.

> I'm sure the higher end HP's work great, same as a Deskpro is gonna
be more
> reliable than a Presario, etc.

True... but PBs have a special place in my heart for dumass designs...
especially the old elite boards that had modems wired into the board
and wouldn't let you install your own modem in the slot...
 
 
 

eMachines (killer or crud?)

Post by Tesselato » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:37:35


Thanks for the feedbacks guys.

I have to upgrade my rendering facilities which is now 24 dual PIIIs
FSB 100 (Dell Precision 410s).  I had it all figured out and ordered
but then you guys started talking about 64bit processors so I cancelled
everything in a flash of precognitive regret.  Now I'm setteled back
down but on the way to the Dell dealer I saw those eMachines and thought
Hmmmm, 1 dual Precision 450 or 650 or... 4 single processor eMachines
boxes for the same price...  :P

BTW, speaking of Dell Precision 450 and Precision 650...  Does anyone
know if I'm actually going to notice any differnece between a system
with AGP8X Pro50  and one with  AGP8X Pro110 ?   Or, ummm how much of a
"real world" difference there might be?

The card options are:

    - 3Dlabs? Wildcat4TM  7110 (AGP 8X, 256MB)
    - NVIDIATM Quadro?  FX 1000, (AGP 8X, 128MB)
    - ATITM FireGLTM  X1 (AGP 8X, 128MB)
    - NVIDIATM  Quadro4 900XGL (128MB)
    - NVIDIATM Quadro?  FX 500, (AGP 8X, 64MB)
    - ATITM FireGLTM  E1 (64MB)
    - NVIDIA? Quadro?  NVS 280, (AGP 8X, 64MB)
    - ATI Radeon VE (32MB)

And these boxes /will/ be used as workstations part of the time besides
just being used as render nodes.  I figure to replace my existing 24
units with like 6 or 8 of these guys. (Probably with one of the 3 or 4
lower end cards from the above list.)

Thanks for any input.

 
 
 

1. KILLER New Designer's Aid - Cool Homepages.com

How many times have you said "Geez! I'm fresh out of new ideas!?"

Or "I wish there was a collection of great homepages and web designs all
in
one place, that I could browse graphically, to stimulate my thinking!"?

Well, now there is. At CoolHomepages.com, you'll find a growing
community featuring the best web design on the net. Users are
encouraged to submit their own favorite sites, so that others may
benefit
from them.

CoolHomepages.com (http://www.coolhomepages.com), is finally here!  At
last -- a design resource that showcases the coolest and most well
developed homepages on the net. CoolHomepages.com is best way to
shake yourself out of "Designer's Block" -- to stimulate and expand your

thinking and your designs by looking at some of the most solid work on
the
web. CoolHomepages.com features Flash sites, Ezines, Info sites,
Services and Products sites, even Kids sites just to name a few. The
elusive art of good homepage design is the focus.

CoolHomepages.com is not a "free-for-all" link page by any means. It is
strictly a serious site for the best and most innovative designs,
layouts,
user interfaces and technologies.

Check out CoolHomepages.com today -- finally the resource you wish you
had when you were starting your *last* project!

--
Tim Donahue
CoolHomepages.com
www.coolhomepages.com

2. cannot see all tubes,papers etc.

3. A Killer Web Site for All 3D Artists

4. OpenGL API in VB4-32 Bit

5. Killer Shockwave Animation Site

6. n-up alignment

7. KILLER GRAPHICS - Video Tutorials

8. Adobe Table question

9. Killer whale

10. Killer interview on Toy story 2

11. Wanted: Killer Graphic Artist