Elliptical path ?

Post by Gareth Ja » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:21:01

A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to animate an
atom for her powerpoint dissertation.

"Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the elliptical
motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy, but i don't have a
clue how to realize the elliptical motion.

I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator motion, but
an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)

Suggestions ?

--
Gareth Jax
Ihgger #7*3*2

Elliptical path ?

Post by Brizo » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:54:04

| A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to
| animate an atom for her powerpoint dissertation.
|
| "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the
| elliptical motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy,
| but i don't have a clue how to realize the elliptical motion.
|
| I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator
| motion, but an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)
|
| Suggestions ?

use a spline path created in modeler

or spin the electrons around parented to a null (spinning the null) and
moving the electrons in and out to match the rotation so they appear to be
moving elliptically

Elliptical path ?

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:36:48

> A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to animate an
> atom for her powerpoint dissertation.

> "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the elliptical
> motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy, but i don't have a
> clue how to realize the elliptical motion.

> I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator motion, but
> an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)

> Suggestions ?

You mean ellipitcal as in the logo they stamp of nuke stuff...  the one
with the ball in the middle and 3 electrons spinning around it?

That /seems/ elliptical only because of the camera angle.  It's
actually circular orbits.  Set up circular orbits and then move
the camera.

                O :-)

Elliptical path ?

Post by Gareth Ja » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:14:28

Quote:> You mean ellipitcal as in the logo they stamp of nuke stuff...  the
> one with the ball in the middle and 3 electrons spinning around it?

> That /seems/ elliptical only because of the camera angle.  It's
> actually circular orbits.  Set up circular orbits and then move
> the camera.

>                 O :-)

Hmmm... interesting... have to try... thanks :)

--
Gareth Jax
Ihgger #7*3*2
Indegno Neurone della Mente alveare
Big Bad of Con-Fu Fighting

Elliptical path ?

Post by Colin Kai Heap » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:14:52

I'm sure I recall someone mentioning how to do this many many moons ago.
Summat to do with a couple of nulls *I think* - Might go digging in my list
archives.

-Colkai

>| A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to
>| animate an atom for her powerpoint dissertation.
>|
>| "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the
>| elliptical motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy,
>| but i don't have a clue how to realize the elliptical motion.
>|
>| I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator
>| motion, but an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)
>|
>| Suggestions ?

>use a spline path created in modeler

>or spin the electrons around parented to a null (spinning the null) and
>moving the electrons in and out to match the rotation so they appear to be
>moving elliptically

Elliptical path ?

Post by Jim Woodruf » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:35:43

A circular rotation appears to be elliptical when pitched on its axis --
just depends on the point of view of the camera.

Jim

> I'm sure I recall someone mentioning how to do this many many moons ago.
> Summat to do with a couple of nulls *I think* - Might go digging in my
list
> archives.

> -Colkai

> >| A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to
> >| animate an atom for her powerpoint dissertation.
> >|
> >| "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the
> >| elliptical motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy,
> >| but i don't have a clue how to realize the elliptical motion.
> >|
> >| I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator
> >| motion, but an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)
> >|
> >| Suggestions ?

> >use a spline path created in modeler

> >or spin the electrons around parented to a null (spinning the null) and
> >moving the electrons in and out to match the rotation so they appear to
be
> >moving elliptically

Elliptical path ?

Post by Pavlo » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:39:15

try this: oscillator plugin on X and Z axes.
you can give X (or Z) axis a different scale,  and you're done.

Paolo zambrini

Quote:> A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to animate
an
> atom for her powerpoint dissertation.

> "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the elliptical
> motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy, but i don't have a
> clue how to realize the elliptical motion.

> I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator motion,
but
> an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)

> Suggestions ?

> --
> Gareth Jax
> Ihgger #7*3*2
> Indegno Neurone della Mente alveare
> Big Bad of Con-Fu Fighting

Elliptical path ?

Post by Seattle Eri » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:55:13

> try this: oscillator plugin on X and Z axes.
> you can give X (or Z) axis a different scale,  and you're done.

> Paolo zambrini

    Sweet.  Integer multiples would probably repeat, and non-divising multiples
, uhhh, precess or something.

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

Elliptical path ?

Post by Will » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:54:37

Quote:>    Sweet.  Integer multiples would probably repeat, and non-divising
>multiples
>, uhhh, precess or something.

Depends what you multiply.  If you multiply the scale of the translation, but
leave the phase alone, it will repeat.

If you alter the phase, then you will get precession.  (which may repeat after
a few cycles, or not, depending on what exactly you do.)
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

Elliptical path ?

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:35:25

I think it's great how everyone here has tuned-in to how important it is to
complete this task.  Do you suppose the response would be the same if you
had said, "my client" instead of, "a girl I know"?

:)

Kevin
www.skylightdi.com

Quote:> A girl i know, who is going to do her degree thesis, asked me to animate
an
> atom for her powerpoint dissertation.

> "Atomic" realism is not required, but i was wondering about the elliptical
> motion path of the electrons. Doing a rotation is easy, but i don't have a
> clue how to realize the elliptical motion.

> I know that a real electron should probably follow a circulator motion,
but
> an elliptical one is more "cinematic" :)

> Suggestions ?

> --
> Gareth Jax
> Ihgger #7*3*2
> Indegno Neurone della Mente alveare
> Big Bad of Con-Fu Fighting

Elliptical path ?

Post by Gareth Ja » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:05:42

Quote:> I think it's great how everyone here has tuned-in to how important it
> is to complete this task.  Do you suppose the response would be the
> same if you had said, "my client" instead of, "a girl I know"?

>:)

Maybe it's a sort of "camaraderie" :)

Thanks brothers!

(by the way, i've settled for a circular path. It's good enough, it's
easy, and i'm not her boyfriend ;)

--
Gareth Jax
Ihgger #7*3*2
Indegno Neurone della Mente alveare
Big Bad of Con-Fu Fighting

1. Elliptical cone?

Sorry... but this problem comes up from time to time.... POV cannot
inherantly handle this sort of thing. To do this you would need to scale the
cone unevenly which is something POV won't do.

My only suggestion is to make the shape out of "smooth_triangle"s You ought
to be able to create them with a little POV script!

Rarius

2. SGI lib extensions on NT?

3. Torus with elliptical cross-section? (POV-Ray)

4. Can you build an ellipse from beziers?

5. REQ: Elliptical cylinders in Inventor

6. 216 color picker!

7. Round VS Elliptical DOT Screens

8. PS4 PS5

9. Drawing elliptical arcs at an angle

10. Elliptical logo

11. Elliptical Buttons?

12. Newbie?: Creating an elliptical gradient

13. Elliptical Transparent GIFS in PS4