Upgrading NT 3.51 to NT 4.0 (DEC Alpha)

Post by Jack Bennett I » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Boy this scares me.

Anyone who has done this upgrade, please email me on whether it went
easy or difficult, pitfalls not to get caught in, etc.

Please, as I have had enough problems on my intel upgrading from 3.11 to
'95.

Don't wanna bury my Alpha machines.

Jack Bennett II
Creative Imagineering, Inc.

remove the obvious spambait in my address to email.

Upgrading NT 3.51 to NT 4.0 (DEC Alpha)

Post by Guy » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Good Luck

Actually I have done this and it went quite well, no problems.  Just had to
re-install all my software again.

Curiously LW ran slower on my 275 MHz 21064 Alpha.  Raytrace scene took 27m
30s to render on NT3.51 on NT4.0 it took 29m 40s.

Pissed me off a bit.

I now use a twin PII 300, best thing I ever bought.

> Boy this scares me.

> Anyone who has done this upgrade, please email me on whether it went
> easy or difficult, pitfalls not to get caught in, etc.

> Please, as I have had enough problems on my intel upgrading from 3.11 to
> '95.

> Don't wanna bury my Alpha machines.

> Jack Bennett II
> Creative Imagineering, Inc.

> remove the obvious spambait in my address to email.

1. OpenGL NT 3.51 app won't work under NT 4.0

I have an OpenGL application which worked under NT 3.51, but won't under
NT 4.0.  One problem is that if I suspend the context using
wglMakeCurrent (NULL, NULL), and then assign it again using
wglMakeCurrent, I get an illegal memory access in __glInitDepth16 for
using a 0 pointer, with the following stack.

CRotateXlate::do_xforms() line 1614

Another problem is that after drawing an object around 100 times, it
draws very slowly.  I haven't had time to look into this one.  I assume
that these problems are some quirk with NT 4.0, or with OpenGL for NT
4.0.  Has anyone had similar problems and knows the solution?

Thanks.

--

Software Consultant     www.vianova.com/~vianova
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor products for Windows 95/NT

2. NORTHERN CALIFORNIA JOBS

3. win nt 3.51/4.0 with same cfg?

4. A new method of handling 3D angles - I'm stuck

5. Lightwave 4.0 and NT 3.51

6. How do I make the earth move?

7. What is the best Mpeg reader on Win 95 or NT 3.51 or 4.0

8. 256 color bitmap and transparent property

9. PM 6.0 and NT 3.51 or 4.0

10. Corel 4.0 and Win NT 3.51

11. Mac Quadra to DEC Alpha NT Box

12. Wanted: DEC Alpha NT POV Binary