LW6 preview vs 5.6

Post by jerem » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

please help.....(said crying)

(this has probably been discused before, but i've been away, sorry)

Can it really be true that i cant make a preview i 6 just half as fast as in
5.6 in wireframe.
It takes about 2-3 seconds to calculate each frame, but 5.6 does it almost
realtime. ( 6 plays the preview correctly)

My 6 is completely useless for animation.
And thats a shame because im an animator, are there other animators here :)
I cant be the only one with this problem.

Any solutions or suggestions ??

running 6.0 with latest patch
on a dual 400 pIII and 196 mb ram
G-force

/jeremy

--http://home11.inet.tele.dk/jeremy/--

LW6 preview vs 5.6

Post by 3DI » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

I asked Newtek (Brad Peebler) about this a while back and was told it's due
OpenGL sumthin'-sumthin'-sumthin' transfering each preview image to the
processor or from the processor or something like that. I don't remember the
exact details but the bottom line was it was going to get looked into but
there wasn't a fix at that time.And there still isn't. Maybe it works better
if you're using a 1 GHz. CPU and a quad-processing $3000 Graphics card. Who
knows. But I know where you're coming from. That's one of the reasons I'm
still using 5.6 for everything. Maybe when L7 ships, some of these issues
will be addressed and fixed.

3DI, Inc.

Quote:> please help.....(said crying)

Post by Chris Golcher » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

>there wasn't a fix at that time.And there still isn't. Maybe it works better
>if you're using a 1 GHz. CPU and a quad-processing $3000 Graphics card.

Actually a 1GHz CPU and a $40 graphics card can do it.  (full speed
with OGL lens flares too)

LW6 preview vs 5.6

Post by ^*^ Ashened ^ » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

^*^
^*^ >there wasn't a fix at that time.And there still isn't. Maybe it works better
^*^ >if you're using a 1 GHz. CPU and a quad-processing $3000 Graphics card.
^*^
^*^ Actually a 1GHz CPU and a $40 graphics card can do it.  (full speed
^*^ with OGL lens flares too)

Ahhh be quiet! :)

-Wish I had a 1 (or even 2) GHz cpu, damnit..

---

+DarkDesire+ / Ashened / ^*^ VaMpY ^*^
 ...  '98 LS1 z28 Forest Green [NeRaKa]
...  'stock?' -err hmm.. yeah exactly!

-If I wanted *your* personal or general garbage of ethics, I'll ask for it..

LW6 preview vs 5.6

Post by Arni » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

I believe the reason is that the transfer of large 2D image chunks from
video card to system memory is very slow.  Turn off HW acceleration,
and, using the SW OGL renderer, try making the preview.  It should be
much faster.
The bottleneck is transfer over the PC bus of large amounts of (2d
data). Too bad AGP implementations still haven't lived up to the promise
of amiga-style dual ported memory used by graphics processors and CPUs
alike.

> I asked Newtek (Brad Peebler) about this a while back and was told it's due
> OpenGL sumthin'-sumthin'-sumthin' transfering each preview image to the
> processor or from the processor or something like that. I don't remember the
> exact details but the bottom line was it was going to get looked into but
> there wasn't a fix at that time.And there still isn't. Maybe it works better
> if you're using a 1 GHz. CPU and a quad-processing $3000 Graphics card. Who
> knows. But I know where you're coming from. That's one of the reasons I'm
> still using 5.6 for everything. Maybe when L7 ships, some of these issues
> will be addressed and fixed.

> 3DI, Inc.

> > please help.....(said crying)

> > (this has probably been discused before, but i've been away, sorry)

> > Can it really be true that i cant make a preview i 6 just half as fast as
> in
> > 5.6 in wireframe.
> > It takes about 2-3 seconds to calculate each frame, but 5.6 does it almost
> > realtime. ( 6 plays the preview correctly)

> > My 6 is completely useless for animation.
> > And thats a shame because im an animator, are there other animators here
> :)
> > I cant be the only one with this problem.

> > Any solutions or suggestions ??

> > running 6.0 with latest patch
> > on a dual 400 pIII and 196 mb ram
> > G-force

> > /jeremy

> > --http://home11.inet.tele.dk/jeremy/--

1. IS LW6 worth the upgrade from 5.6 ?

I always been facinated with 3D.
I started 3D with Lightwave3.0 on an Amiga 4000.
Since then I changed platform to a PC,and upgraded to 5.6.
But beeing 100% French, makes the learning curve a little hard.
Dont get me wrong, I know my ways around.
All I want to know, is
"Is lightwave 6 easier to work with" ?
Thanks for your time

2. Fastest Shadow Algorithms

3. lightwave 5.6 rather than lw6?

4. Non-dithered orange in 256 color mode?

5. Street price of LW6 Upgrade NT from 5.6?

6. Oppurtunity Of A Lifetime!

7. Can't Load/Save Preview in 5.6 on Mac

8. SkyTracer preview failing in 5.6

9. Lightwave 5.6 Lightwave 5.6 Lightwave 5.6 Lightwave 5.6

10. MAX R3 V.S. Lightwave 5.6

11. Mac Rendering Times 5.6 vs 7.0

12. LW 6.0 vs 5.6