Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:06:45

Has anyone had scenes using follower fail to retain settings upon saving and
reloading in Lightwave 7?  My 6-6.5 scenes using follower are loading into 7
without all the settings preserved.  Specifically, TIME DELAY is wiped out, and
every channel is assigned to the followed object, rather than the selected
channels.  Re-assigning follower fixes the problem while the scene is open, but
saving and reloading the scene wipes out follower settings again, or further
corrupts them.  If I load that SAME scene into 6.5, it works.  So, I know that 7
is saving the settings, just not recognizing them upon reload.  I tried deleting
cfgs and starting from scratch, but it still happens.  My 6.5 and 7 configs are
segregated, with the  -c command redirecting each version to its own cfg.

Joe Justice, fellow Destiny Images animator and maintainer of Lightnet, tells me
that many other expressions-related settings seem busted in 7.

Somebody please tell me that follower works great in 7, I just need to change a
cfg setting or something, and Newtek did not ship 7 with a bug this big.
_______________
Frank?? Panucci
The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Geof » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:17:24

Frank
Just out of interest, what do you mean about the "-c" business with the
config files?

I'm intrigued......

cheers
Geoff

Quote:> Has anyone had scenes using follower fail to retain settings upon saving

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:28:19

->>Just out of interest, what do you mean about the "-c" business with the
config files?<<

Since 6 came out, the only way to kill the hub, which I don't use right now, is
to create a desktop icon for the layout and modeler EXEs with "-0" (no quotes)
appended to the path in the TARGET field.  In the same way, you can force
Lightwave 6.0 and up to look for cfg files in places other than the default
location, by appending (for example)  "-cC:\LightWave\Configs".  My L7 icon
TARGET field reads like so:

C:\LightWave_3d_7.0\Programs\Lightwav.exe -0 -cC:\LightWave_3d_7.0\cfg

_______________
Frank?? Panucci
The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Geof » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:28:12

Ah......Thanks very much for that...........Could come in handy if/when I
come to upgrade in the future.

Geoff

Quote:> ->>Just out of interest, what do you mean about the "-c" business with the
> config files?<<

> Since 6 came out, the only way to kill the hub, which I don't use right
now, is
> to create a desktop icon for the layout and modeler EXEs with "-0" (no
quotes)
> appended to the path in the TARGET field.  In the same way, you can force
> Lightwave 6.0 and up to look for cfg files in places other than the
default
> location, by appending (for example)  "-cC:\LightWave\Configs".  My L7
icon
> TARGET field reads like so:

> C:\LightWave_3d_7.0\Programs\Lightwav.exe -0 -cC:\LightWave_3d_7.0\cfg

> _______________
> Frank.. Panucci
> The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
> 2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Brizo » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:50:33

did you make sure you deleted the config files before redirecting them to
specific directories, maybe even if both are looking in their own places
with the -c command any in the default location from 6.5b might cause
problems? maybe its just a limitation from the demo or are you running the
full program

hope it isn't a bug :-\

--

-------
BriZon

          ICQ: 124947563 - MSN: Lexxpark
=================\/=================

Quote:> Has anyone had scenes using follower fail to retain settings upon saving
and
> reloading in Lightwave 7?  My 6-6.5 scenes using follower are loading into
7
> without all the settings preserved.  Specifically, TIME DELAY is wiped
out, and
> every channel is assigned to the followed object, rather than the selected
> channels.  Re-assigning follower fixes the problem while the scene is
open, but
> saving and reloading the scene wipes out follower settings again, or
further
> corrupts them.  If I load that SAME scene into 6.5, it works.  So, I know
that 7
> is saving the settings, just not recognizing them upon reload.  I tried
deleting
> cfgs and starting from scratch, but it still happens.  My 6.5 and 7
configs are
> segregated, with the  -c command redirecting each version to its own cfg.

> Joe Justice, fellow Destiny Images animator and maintainer of Lightnet,
tells me
> that many other expressions-related settings seem busted in 7.

> Somebody please tell me that follower works great in 7, I just need to
change a
> cfg setting or something, and Newtek did not ship 7 with a bug this big.
> _______________
> Frank.. Panucci
> The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
> 2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Chuck Bake » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:16:53

Are there config files still sitting in the default location?  If so,
remove them.  What we are recommending for folks running both 6.5 and 7
is redirect both to configs located in their home directory, and don't
leave configs in the default location because both will end up using
those instead of the intended config files and corrupting them as they
overwrite them in response to your activities.

> Has anyone had scenes using follower fail to retain settings upon saving and
> reloading in Lightwave 7?  My 6-6.5 scenes using follower are loading into 7
> without all the settings preserved.  Specifically, TIME DELAY is wiped out, and
> every channel is assigned to the followed object, rather than the selected
> channels.  Re-assigning follower fixes the problem while the scene is open, but
> saving and reloading the scene wipes out follower settings again, or further
> corrupts them.  If I load that SAME scene into 6.5, it works.  So, I know that 7
> is saving the settings, just not recognizing them upon reload.  I tried deleting
> cfgs and starting from scratch, but it still happens.  My 6.5 and 7 configs are
> segregated, with the  -c command redirecting each version to its own cfg.

> Joe Justice, fellow Destiny Images animator and maintainer of Lightnet, tells me
> that many other expressions-related settings seem busted in 7.

> Somebody please tell me that follower works great in 7, I just need to change a
> cfg setting or something, and Newtek did not ship 7 with a bug this big.
> _______________
> Frank?? Panucci
> The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
> 2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Chuck Baker -- NewTek, Inc.
Director, Customer Support and Services
http://www.newtek.com/support/

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:10:16

->>did you make sure you deleted the config files before redirecting them to
specific directories, maybe even if both are looking in their own places with
the -c command any in the default location from 6.5b might cause problems? maybe
its just a limitation from the demo or are you running the full program

hope it isn't a bug :-\<<

Full program.  Registered with Newtek, upgrade from 6.  Tried every cfg trick -
deleting all cfg, moving 6.5 temporarily totally off the machine, redeleting 7
cfg files and generating new ones in both default and alternate locations.  Same
follower behavior - it fails to load settings in 7.  Waiting for confirmation
from other users before further noise.  Sincerely hoping it's user error here -
but it's happening on my personal PC and two PCs at the studio, so this may be a
way bad thing.

_______________
Frank?? Panucci
The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Arni » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:11:51

Quote:>Somebody please tell me that follower works great in 7, I just need to
change a
>cfg setting or something, and Newtek did not ship 7 with a bug this big.

Sorry :-{

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Brizo » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:34:51

I'd say try using the 6.5b follower plugin in 7 and see how that helps, but
you said you can save LW7 scenes and they work in 6.5b but not 7 so that
might not fix it. Have another look around for stray config files, you know
what windows is like hiding things away :-) hope you find a way to fix it,
though I have heard some talk about LW7 and a plugin bug, maybe thats what
it is :-(

I guess its too early to ask Chuck about a bug list too

--

-------
BriZon
 Co-Founder & Director of VFX - DarkICE fx Ltd.
=================/\=================
   www.lexxpark.co.uk | www.darkicefx.co.uk
                     The Web is evolving
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

          ICQ: 124947563 - MSN: Lexxpark
=================\/=================

Quote:> ->>did you make sure you deleted the config files before redirecting them

Post by FRANK?? PANUCC » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 01:42:27

->>Are there config files still sitting in the default location?  If so, remove
them.  What we are recommending for folks running both 6.5 and 7 is redirect
both to configs located in their home directory, and don't leave configs in the
default location because both will end up using those instead of the intended
config files and corrupting them as they overwrite them in response to your
activities.<<

Thanks for the response, Chuck, but that didn't work on three machines here.
Backing up and wiping all traces of 6.5b, deleting all configs, reinstalling 7
fresh and generating new configs both in the default location and deleting them,
then in alternate locations just in case, does not fix this problem.  7 is not
reading follower and certain other expression values, although it's writing them
into the scene file.  Setting up a follower scene and saving it from 7 will
generate a scene that loads properly into 6.5 but not back into 7.  At least one
other user, Lukasz Pazera on the LWML, has reported the same behavior in 7.

To make sure: I just carefully moved the dongle over to an old Lightwave-less
Celeron machine and installed 7 on it.  Same behavior.  Follower broke.  My main
lightwave machine is WIN2K, the Celeron has Win98.

Any help from any direction will be much appreciated, as we cannot use 7 here
until this is resolved, and it would be great to use motion mixer and the other
new etc on our upcoming projects.
_______________
Frank?? Panucci

Post by Eric C » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:09:42

> To make sure: I just carefully moved the dongle over to an old Lightwave-less
> Celeron machine and installed 7 on it.  Same behavior.  Follower broke.  My main
> lightwave machine is WIN2K, the Celeron has Win98.

    I think you can be assurred now that that IS a bug.

*  Look: There's "A RAT" in the middle of "separate".        *

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Craig Townse » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 02:55:22

Unfortunately there still is the issue of the Hub cfg file which only
works in the default location(can't be redirected). The only solution
I have found is to have two versions and to rename them before using
the applicable version. I was glad I had originally backed up my 6.5b
configs before discovering this was necessary. They probably should
try to fix this issue in a patch for 7 which very likely be needed at
some point.

Craig

>Are there config files still sitting in the default location?  If so,
>remove them.  What we are recommending for folks running both 6.5 and 7
>is redirect both to configs located in their home directory, and don't
>leave configs in the default location because both will end up using
>those instead of the intended config files and corrupting them as they
>overwrite them in response to your activities.

>> Has anyone had scenes using follower fail to retain settings upon saving and
>> reloading in Lightwave 7?  My 6-6.5 scenes using follower are loading into 7
>> without all the settings preserved.  Specifically, TIME DELAY is wiped out, and
>> every channel is assigned to the followed object, rather than the selected
>> channels.  Re-assigning follower fixes the problem while the scene is open, but
>> saving and reloading the scene wipes out follower settings again, or further
>> corrupts them.  If I load that SAME scene into 6.5, it works.  So, I know that 7
>> is saving the settings, just not recognizing them upon reload.  I tried deleting
>> cfgs and starting from scratch, but it still happens.  My 6.5 and 7 configs are
>> segregated, with the  -c command redirecting each version to its own cfg.

>> Joe Justice, fellow Destiny Images animator and maintainer of Lightnet, tells me
>> that many other expressions-related settings seem busted in 7.

>> Somebody please tell me that follower works great in 7, I just need to change a
>> cfg setting or something, and Newtek did not ship 7 with a bug this big.
>> _______________
>> Frank?? Panucci
>> The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
>> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
>> 2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
>> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

>--

>Chuck Baker -- NewTek, Inc.
>Director, Customer Support and Services
>http://www.newtek.com/support/

Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

Post by Eric C » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 05:21:52

> Unfortunately there still is the issue of the Hub cfg file which only
> works in the default location(can't be redirected). The only solution
> I have found is to have two versions and to rename them before using
> the applicable version. I was glad I had originally backed up my 6.5b
> configs before discovering this was necessary. They probably should
> try to fix this issue in a patch for 7 which very likely be needed at
> some point.

    ??? In my experience the hub file get's written in the same directory as the callin
application's cfg.  Haveto chek this out..............

    What the heck is IN the hub.cfg??

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Brizo » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 05:30:10

nothing that could mess up your setup, just things like autosaving, time to
shutdown, location of programs and what colors LW uses. I think it does save
it in the location given in the -c command though

--

-------
BriZon
 Co-Founder & Director of VFX - DarkICE fx Ltd.
=================/\=================
   www.lexxpark.co.uk | www.darkicefx.co.uk
                     The Web is evolving
Work: +44 (0) 771 9859450 7am - 5pm GMT
Home: +44 (0) 786 6039358 5pm - 7am GMT

          ICQ: 124947563 - MSN: Lexxpark
=================\/=================

> > Unfortunately there still is the issue of the Hub cfg file which only
> > works in the default location(can't be redirected). The only solution
> > I have found is to have two versions and to rename them before using
> > the applicable version. I was glad I had originally backed up my 6.5b
> > configs before discovering this was necessary. They probably should
> > try to fix this issue in a patch for 7 which very likely be needed at
> > some point.

>     ??? In my experience the hub file get's written in the same directory
as the callin
> application's cfg.  Haveto chek this out..............

>     What the heck is IN the hub.cfg??

Follower killed in Lightwave 7?

Post by Chuck Bake » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 05:53:01

Gil on our Tech staff has confirmed that the Motion Modifier Follower
exhibits this problem, just as you described; after talking with Art
Howe, the problem is confirmed and the team will be working on a fix.

> ->>did you make sure you deleted the config files before redirecting them to
> specific directories, maybe even if both are looking in their own places with
> the -c command any in the default location from 6.5b might cause problems? maybe
> its just a limitation from the demo or are you running the full program

> hope it isn't a bug :-\<<

> Full program.  Registered with Newtek, upgrade from 6.  Tried every cfg trick -
> deleting all cfg, moving 6.5 temporarily totally off the machine, redeleting 7
> cfg files and generating new ones in both default and alternate locations.  Same
> follower behavior - it fails to load settings in 7.  Waiting for confirmation
> from other users before further noise.  Sincerely hoping it's user error here -
> but it's happening on my personal PC and two PCs at the studio, so this may be a
> way bad thing.

> _______________
> Frank?? Panucci
> The latest 8-second musical segment from LETTER TV!  1 meg DIVX:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery/LTV_SK_SONG.avi
> 2D & 3D galleries, music, LW 6.5 surface downloads:
> http://www.geocities.com/peegallery

Chuck Baker -- NewTek, Inc.
Director, Customer Support and Services
http://www.newtek.com/support/

1. Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave? NEWTEKS KILL

CS> S> In both 3DS's and LW's cases, it would be possible to retain the
CS> S> net renderer as a 32-bit DOS app, while leaving the GUI as a Windows
CS> S> app.  This leverages the speed of DOS and the cost of memory on net
CS> S> rendering machines that is devoted to WinNT instead of rendering.

CS>      That would be a wonderful thing. I don't have enough ram in one
CS> of my machines (by a hair) and it sits idle when rendering complex
CS> scenes. ANYTHING to reduce the rather massive NT ram hit would
CS> be a saleable product in my books...

CS> Christopher

CS>      All these people calling each other morons. Well, you're all right.
CS> If
CS> you're stupid enough to crosspost infantile arguments to several
CS> inappropriate
CS> groups, you're certainly a moron, you and your friends. Learn to use your
CS> communications software (and get the hell out of
CS> comp.graphics.animation!).

CS> Best wishes on a smarter new year (after the brain transplant).

CS>                 **********************************************

CS>       Soup      *      http://www.islandnet.com/~dretch      *      WWW
CS>    Animation    *   Home of the Lightwave 3D Search Engine   *    Training
CS>                 **********************************************

So what's this guy's problem anyway?????

2. New Pencil, Inc.

3. Kill, kill, kill the bones.....

4. game graphisc

5. Will 3dsPRO kill Lightwave?

6. First Look at the SGI NT Visual Workstations!

7. gmax

8. Follower trouble

9. channel follower/ expressions

10. Follower...I have a doubt, please help me.

11. help: IK and Follower

12. Animate with Follower!?!