HOW: Polygon with different textures on both sides.

Post by Brad Haye » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Anyone knows how I could surface a polygon face such that two
> different textures, or surfaces, appear on both sides. eg. a
> one sided mirror, a page with different content on both sides.

> Thanks for any advise.

> Eddie
> *Tech

That's an easy one. There are two ways to go about this. 1) In Modeler,
select the Polygon(s) you want to have two sides. name the surface
something unique. copy the polygon(s) past them in a diferent layer,
Name them somthing else. Flip Them. copythem back to the original layer.
Merge the points. You will now have a single two sided poly with a
diferent serface on each side.

2) the other way is when modeling create the plygons as two sided from
the begining. Then select the poly of choice. call up the info panel (I)
and De-seclect one of the sides. then give it a unique name.

The second method s probibly only useful for one or two polys, when you
have any of the little *s I'd oppt for method 1.

--
Brad Hayes

Post by Walter (J » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: HOW: Polygon with different textures on both sides.
>Date: 13 Aug 1996 03:29:00 GMT
>Anyone knows how I could surface a polygon face such that two
>different textures, or surfaces, appear on both sides. eg. a
>one sided mirror, a page with different content on both sides.
>Thanks for any advise.
>Eddie
>*Tech

1) Bring your object into Modeler.  Hit Copy.
2) Change layers and Paste.  You now have identical objects in two layers.
3) Select all Polygons and Flip all surface normals.
4) Rename the surface.
5) Hit copy.  Right now, you should have the second object with flipped polys
that have a different surface name.
6) Go to the original layer and Paste.
7) Merge all points.
8) Unify polygons.

You now have an object with the same number of points but twice the number of
polygons.  BTW - you should make sure all the polygons of the original object
are pointing in the "correct" direction before doing this.  This sounds kinda
complex, but once you have done it once or twice, you will see that it is
actually quick and easy.

Studio 522 Productions           |http://www.veryComputer.com/~wturber
http://www.veryComputer.com/         |ftp.primenet.com/users/w/wturber

Post by Wayne S. William » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Anyone knows how I could surface a polygon face such that two
>different textures, or surfaces, appear on both sides. eg. a
>one sided mirror, a page with different content on both sides.

>Thanks for any advise.

>Eddie
>*Tech

     In modeler make a box with 0 on the z axis OBJECTS/BOX/NUMERIC.
     This creates a square in the face window.  Make sure the square
     is centered OBJECTS/CUSTOM/CENTER (F2 key). Give this square a
     name POLYGON/SURFACE menu.  Copy this square, flip the normal
     POLYGON/FLIP, select the square in polygon mode, then hide the
     square DISPLAY/HIDE SEL(ected).  Click paste, which puts down
     duplicate of the square that we copied earlier. Give this new
     square a different name POLYGON/SURFACE menu. Unhide the first
     square DISPLAY/UNHIDE.

     You now have a 2 sided square with different surface names.
     It's actually much quicker to do than it sounds. 8o)

        3D Wayne

1. 2 textures on different sides of polygon

how can i do that?
straight-forward (1face-1texture) way is to declare polygon mode GL_FRONT
and do what you have to do. Just stating that mode is GL_FRONT_AND_BACK
doesn't seem to do the job for one texture (the back side does not exist,
i.e. it is transparent), and what i really want is to have different
textures on front and back face.

glPolygonMode() is not allowed inside glBegin() <-> glEnd(), so I guess I
can always actually create 2 polyogns out of same vertices and apply two
textures, but that would make two geometries (polygons)  to render, while
having different textures on faces would leave only one polygon, or would it
effectivelly be the same thing?

2. Contractor Recco. - Maryland

3. Filling an n-sided polygon with 3 or 4 sided polygon

4. Jam, a freeware blob modeler

5. Draw both sides of polygon with different color?

6. best way to render to multiple buffers of different sizes ?

7. different textures for each side of a cube

8. Gems Super Quadrics?

9. How to texture a polygon on both sides?

10. Destroying polygons and recreating with different color or texture

11. Texture Mapping -- Aligning Left side with Right side