Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Newspaper B » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:49:47

Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
unless im missing something on this?

If you know of a technique could you please get back to me ASAP thank
you

Newspaper Guy

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by CH / BriZo » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:00:02

Impact 2

http://www.dynamic-realities.com

but get behind me in the line for the Napalm video *sticks his tounge out at
Martin incase he's around* hehe

--

Quote:> Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
> type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
> luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
> course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
> unless im missing something on this?

> If you know of a technique could you please get back to me ASAP thank
> you

> Newspaper Guy

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Newspaper B » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:00:00

Isn't there a way to do this without Impact2?

[Not in line for Napalm] :)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:00:02 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

>Impact 2

>http://www.dynamic-realities.com

>but get behind me in the line for the Napalm video *sticks his tounge out at
>Martin incase he's around* hehe

>--

>> Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
>> type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
>> luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
>> course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
>> unless im missing something on this?

>> If you know of a technique could you please get back to me ASAP thank
>> you

>> Newspaper Guy

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by CH / BriZo » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:58:50

well, you could set up a pane of glass (just a rectangle but with a little
thickness to it) and use a drill or stencil to cut it up into pieces, then
morph from that to the parts breaking up and flying off in all directions i
guess, though only problem with that is you might see the seperate parts to
the pane of glass where its going to shatter.. unless you replace a pane
with no breaks in it with the one with breaks in it a frame before it gets
hit ?

maybe works, have a go i suppose

--

> Isn't there a way to do this without Impact2?

> [Not in line for Napalm] :)

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:00:02 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

> >Impact 2

> >http://www.dynamic-realities.com

> >but get behind me in the line for the Napalm video *sticks his tounge out
at
> >Martin incase he's around* hehe

> >--

> >> Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
> >> type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
> >> luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
> >> course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
> >> unless im missing something on this?

> >> If you know of a technique could you please get back to me ASAP thank
> >> you

> >> Newspaper Guy

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Matthew Maxwe » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:50:11

Quote:> unless you replace a pane
> with no breaks in it with the one with breaks in it a frame before it gets
> hit ?

You answered your own question.  Object replace on the frame
that the window breaks.  You might want to augment the
big chunks of glass with some partigons shaded to look like
really shiny bits of powdered glass.  Add to taste.

-Matt

--

"Sea monkeys are NOT PRIMATES!" -- Max, of Sam and Max

remove 'nospam' to reply

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Newspaper B » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:15:32

So make a pane of glass use drill to cut up pieces then morph ? but
wouldn't that not give you that loose shatter glass? I'll try it but
what if you want the pieces to land on a ground -- I guess that'd mean
hand keyframe the chunks???

what's your take?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:58:50 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

>well, you could set up a pane of glass (just a rectangle but with a little
>thickness to it) and use a drill or stencil to cut it up into pieces, then
>morph from that to the parts breaking up and flying off in all directions i
>guess, though only problem with that is you might see the seperate parts to
>the pane of glass where its going to shatter.. unless you replace a pane
>with no breaks in it with the one with breaks in it a frame before it gets
>hit ?

>maybe works, have a go i suppose

>--

>> Isn't there a way to do this without Impact2?

>> [Not in line for Napalm] :)

>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:00:02 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

>> >Impact 2

>> >http://www.dynamic-realities.com

>> >but get behind me in the line for the Napalm video *sticks his tounge out
>at
>> >Martin incase he's around* hehe

>> >--

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by CH / BriZo » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:10:20

yeah, that could look pretty neat, you could set them up to appear on a
collision or something too

--

> > unless you replace a pane
> > with no breaks in it with the one with breaks in it a frame before it
gets
> > hit ?

> You answered your own question.  Object replace on the frame
> that the window breaks.  You might want to augment the
> big chunks of glass with some partigons shaded to look like
> really shiny bits of powdered glass.  Add to taste.

> -Matt

> --

> "Sea monkeys are NOT PRIMATES!" -- Max, of Sam and Max

> remove 'nospam' to reply

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by CH / BriZo » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:16:12

Impact 2

oops sorry hehe, erm.. well, you could set up your scene so what happens to
the shards of glass isn't shown just after it all breaks up. otherwise
probably are stuck with hand keyframing them, thats why something like
Impact would work fine, though unless your making a LOT of money from this,
its price is a bit overpowering, but it does do the trick, infact a tut with
it has a demolision ball smashing through a brick wall, same principle
really. I'm not sure if you could use particles for it though, ok, probably
could, but I imagine it would be a real struggle to get it just right and
blow them apart convincingly, shame too

--

> So make a pane of glass use drill to cut up pieces then morph ? but
> wouldn't that not give you that loose shatter glass? I'll try it but
> what if you want the pieces to land on a ground -- I guess that'd mean
> hand keyframe the chunks???

> what's your take?

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:58:50 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

> >well, you could set up a pane of glass (just a rectangle but with a
little
> >thickness to it) and use a drill or stencil to cut it up into pieces,
then
> >morph from that to the parts breaking up and flying off in all directions
> >guess, though only problem with that is you might see the seperate parts
> >the pane of glass where its going to shatter.. unless you replace a pane
> >with no breaks in it with the one with breaks in it a frame before it
gets
> >hit ?

> >maybe works, have a go i suppose

> >--

> >> Isn't there a way to do this without Impact2?

> >> [Not in line for Napalm] :)

> >> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:00:02 +0100, "CH / BriZon"

> >at

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:52:28

There is also a Japanese plugin which is similar to 'Blowup and Shatter'
which definitely works in LW6.5b. You can find the details and download
a demo at :

http://www.3d-drawing.com/plugins/disinteg/index.html

There are no English instructions though.

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Post by Benjamin Smit » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:03:26

Quote:> Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
> type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
> luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
> course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
> unless im missing something on this?

The thing with an effect like this is to decide to what extent you need to
see the actual sheet of glass physically disintegrate into shards.  Doing
that would be tricky, but if it's quite a quick effect you could probably
fake it.  Animate the glass object to basically disappear, either by
breaking it into chunks in modeller and then dissolving the chunks, or using
a procedural texture as a clip map.  Then use ParticleFX to make loads of
particles come out as it disappears.  In modeller make 2 or 3 little models
of bits of glass and attach those to the particles.  If it's done right
it'll *look* like the glass smashes and bits go flying in all directions.
The viewer shouldn't notice that the bits don't completely line up with the
original glass.

Benjamin Smith : Stormfront Digital Pictures : www.sfdp.co.uk

Breaking Glass \ Shatter Glass ?

Post by Paul Andrew » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:09:07

Cinegraphics "Blowup & Shatter" doesn't work under 6.5b  :-(

Paul

Quote:> There is a product called "Blowup Shatter", but I don't know if it works
in
> 6b (I seem to recall it not working in 6). You feed it an object in
modeler
> and it shatters it into however many pieces you say and saves the pieces
>  individually. Then you generate a scene file with Blowup and load the
> Scene into layout.

> It knows about gravity and a floor for the pieces to fall on. The
direction
> that the pieces exit what was the original object is determined by the
> position of the "center in modeler". If you want to "blow something up"
> then the center (0,0,0) should be under the object. All of the pieces will
> fly upward away from the center then fall back to the "floor".
> ]If you wanted the pieces to fly toward the camera then put the center
> behind the object etc..
> Yes, object replacement is a good thing as the cracks will show.
> I think I found it on*.

> It's not trivial to use, but it gives a good result. Much better than
> keyframing by hand, and does a nice job of shattering the object
> than you might do by hand.

> David

> "CH / BriZon"

snip

Post by Kevin Carric » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:00:41

> Hello, does anyone know how to create a breaking glass \ shatter glass
> type of effect I've looked into exploding polygon plug-ins to no such
> luck of getting them to work right i've tried Hypervoxels which of
> course was useless and even Particle FX but no really that sucsessful
> unless im missing something on this?

> If you know of a technique could you please get back to me ASAP thank
> you

> Newspaper Guy

If you check out the car animation on my site (link below), I did
shattered glass hitting the floor - but you don't see the windows actually
break (A cheat, perhaps?). I used partigons shaded blue-green with about
50% diffuse and 50% luminosity. I keyframed the Size on X & Z to bring it
out from under the car as I dropped the whole mess to the floor.

HTH

--
Kevin
http://www.carrico.net/lightwave.htm

1. Rendering shattered glass

I'm currently working on a short animated sequence in which I want to
have bullet holes in a plate of glass, and I was wondering if anyone
out there could lend some suggestions as to how to go about doing
this..  At the moment, I'm using the ART ray tracing program that's
part of the VO{PL,RT,etc} tool kit..

Basically, what I want to do is have a "bullet" intersect with a
transparent plane and when they intersect, leave something resembling
a bullet hole in glass..

I thought using the marble texture somehow to get what i was after,
but I'm not sure exactly how to tweak things to make it "just right"
or even "close enough for government work".

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

2. Understanding NURBS

3. Shattered glass effect?

4. How to render curved surfaces?

5. Q: Tutorial or plugin to create shattered glass effect

6. HELP: poly-draw-question!

7. Shattering glass-how?

8. --Pls, newsgroup about After Effects, where ???

9. Shattering Glass

10. Shattering plate glass

11. Shattering Glass In PS2?

12. Shattered glass