Studio Z and LW

Post by cjtsu » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

Just played with it this afternoon....GOOD GOD WHAT A MACHINE!!!

Unbelievably fast GL acceleration and it was a dream to model in!

of course the machine I played with was 36,000.00 so that explains a
lot, still, a better deal then an SGI (there are actually a lot of
programs for Windows! :)

later
Josh Tsui

Studio Z and LW

Post by Jason Linha » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>Just played with it this afternoon....GOOD GOD WHAT A MACHINE!!!
>Unbelievably fast GL acceleration and it was a dream to model in!
>of course the machine I played with was 36,000.00 so that explains a
>lot, still, a better deal then an SGI (there are actually a lot of
>programs for Windows! :)
>later
>Josh Tsui

The system for $36,000 is probably one of their StudioZ machines with
the built-in D1 video option.

I've been using a pentium pro 150MHZ based Intergraph TDZ 300 system.
I think the price is somewhere between $10 - $15K depending on
options.  I would have to say that the OpenGL response is the best of
any system that I have sat in front of.(So good it will make most
verteran LW'ers cry!)  The real-time response of adjusting lighting,
bones and most other things in Layout and Modeler is something that I
have wished for since the early days of LightWave.
Overall, It's a great system.

I wish I could take the graphics speed of this system and stick it on
top of the render power of the 500Mhz Alpha that Deskstation was
showing at NAB (another system that makes verteran LW'ers
cry!)............Oh yeah, ScreamerNet would work!  Thank  *
(Insert appropriate higher spiritual being) for network rendering!

Jason Linhart

Studio Z and LW

Post by cjtsu » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

> >Just played with it this afternoon....GOOD GOD WHAT A MACHINE!!!

> >Unbelievably fast GL acceleration and it was a dream to model in!

> >of course the machine I played with was 36,000.00 so that explains a
> >lot, still, a better deal then an SGI (there are actually a lot of
> >programs for Windows! :)

> >later
> >Josh Tsui

> The system for $36,000 is probably one of their StudioZ machines with
> the built-in D1 video option.

> I've been using a pentium pro 150MHZ based Intergraph TDZ 300 system.
> I think the price is somewhere between $10 - $15K depending on
> options.  I would have to say that the OpenGL response is the best of
> any system that I have sat in front of.(So good it will make most
> verteran LW'ers cry!)  The real-time response of adjusting lighting,
> bones and most other things in Layout and Modeler is something that I
> have wished for since the early days of LightWave.
> Overall, It's a great system.

> I wish I could take the graphics speed of this system and stick it on
> top of the render power of the 500Mhz Alpha that Deskstation was
> showing at NAB (another system that makes verteran LW'ers
> cry!)............Oh yeah, ScreamerNet would work!  Thank  *
> (Insert appropriate higher spiritual being) for network rendering!

> Jason Linhart

trust me Jason, i was on the verge of tears!!! :)

yes, it was the machine with the D1 option and it was friggin'
beautiful!!

I did manage to crash the machine twice though and got the demo guy
really mad at me.

Unfortunately they had a person demoing LW who didn't know what he was
doing.  I actually got oohs and aahs just doing some simple metaforming.

later
Josh Tsui
Midway Games

Studio Z and LW

Post by Paul Bruggema » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

> Just played with it this afternoon....GOOD GOD WHAT A MACHINE!!!

> Unbelievably fast GL acceleration and it was a dream to model in!

> of course the machine I played with was 36,000.00 so that explains a
> lot, still, a better deal then an SGI (there are actually a lot of
> programs for Windows! :)

> later
> Josh Tsui

 There is a deal till the end of may for a I^2 solid-impact with
photoshop,composer lite,alias power animator 64Mram/2G disk 20"monitor
for 25K$ (other stuff too, i can't remember saw it at E3) I can dig
out the whole quote if you want.

 paul

Studio Z and LW

Post by Noam Ben-A » Mon, 20 May 1996 04:00:00

> There is a deal till the end of may for a I^2 solid-impact with
>photoshop,composer lite,alias power animator 64Mram/2G disk 20"monitor
>for 25K$ (other stuff too, i can't remember saw it at E3) I can dig
>out the whole quote if you want.

Does this machine have any graphics acceleration? (didn't think so)

Please put up the whole quote though, sounds interesting.
--

http://farside.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~nbenami ---- Disclaimer: I speak for myself ONLY.

Studio Z and LW

Post by Andrew Weile » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

>Does this machine have any graphics acceleration? (didn't think so)

>Please put up the whole quote though, sounds interesting.
>--

Does this machine have any graphics acceleration? The Solid Impact IS graphics
acceleration, and from what I've heard it defines the term!

-Andy

Studio Z and LW

Post by Jeroen Van Vels » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

In een bericht van 17 May 96 Jason Linhart gericht aan All:

 JL> The system for $36,000 is probably one of their StudioZ machines with
 JL> the built-in D1 video option.

 JL> I've been using a pentium pro 150MHZ based Intergraph TDZ 300 system.
 JL> I think the price is somewhere between $10 - $15K depending on
 JL> options.  I would have to say that the OpenGL response is the best of
 JL> any system that I have sat in front of.(So good it will make most
 JL> verteran LW'ers cry!)  The real-time response of adjusting lighting,
 JL> bones and most other things in Layout and Modeler is something that I
 JL> have wished for since the early days of LightWave.
 JL> Overall, It's a great system.

 JL> I wish I could take the graphics speed of this system and stick it on
 JL> top of the render power of the 500Mhz Alpha that Deskstation was
 JL> showing at NAB (another system that makes verteran LW'ers
 JL> cry!)............Oh yeah, ScreamerNet would work!  Thank  *
 JL> (Insert appropriate higher spiritual being) for network rendering!

 JL> Jason Linhart

Which graphics card is used in that system?
Does it work with W95 AND WNT?
How much does a graphics card like tht cost?

Any info would be greatly appriciated...

Greetings,

Jeroen van Velsen (NETMAIL: 14:101/101.8)

-- Via Xenolink 1.984, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

Studio Z and LW

Post by Dave Pai » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

>In een bericht van 17 May 96 Jason Linhart gericht aan All:

> JL> The system for $36,000 is probably one of their StudioZ machines with
> JL> the built-in D1 video option.

> JL> I've been using a pentium pro 150MHZ based Intergraph TDZ 300 system.
> JL> I think the price is somewhere between $10 - $15K depending on
> JL> options.  I would have to say that the OpenGL response is the best of
> JL> any system that I have sat in front of.(So good it will make most
> JL> verteran LW'ers cry!)  The real-time response of adjusting lighting,
> JL> bones and most other things in Layout and Modeler is something that I
> JL> have wished for since the early days of LightWave.
> JL> Overall, It's a great system.

> JL> I wish I could take the graphics speed of this system and stick it on
> JL> top of the render power of the 500Mhz Alpha that Deskstation was
> JL> showing at NAB (another system that makes verteran LW'ers
> JL> cry!)............Oh yeah, ScreamerNet would work!  Thank  *
> JL> (Insert appropriate higher spiritual being) for network rendering!

> JL> Jason Linhart

>Which graphics card is used in that system?
>Does it work with W95 AND WNT?
>How much does a graphics card like tht cost?

>Any info would be greatly appriciated...

>Greetings,

>Jeroen van Velsen (NETMAIL: 14:101/101.8)

>-- Via Xenolink 1.984, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

If your asking about the Intergraph systems, they use Intergraph
developed graphics subsystems. They are designated GLZ1 through GLZ6,
with a GLZ1T thrown in with hardware texture support at the low end.
As you go up in number you go up in price, performance, and amout of
display RAM.

If your asking about the Raptor, it had a Dynamic Pictures V192 opengl
card with 16meg of display RAM.

Dave Paige
Alfheim Imaging