Loads of [6] questions (well a few at least)

Loads of [6] questions (well a few at least)

Post by Martin Harri » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Okay, so I've only had 6 for three days, but already I have a few questions
that I would appreciate help with.

1. Objects in the tutorial folder (mentioned in the manual) don't seem to be
there, either on my full install or on the CD. For example, the USflag2.lwo
for the displacement tut and the arm needed for the boning tutorial. Any
ideas where they might be.

2. Natural shaders - I wanted to use the snow shader, but it is no longer
there. So I installed in from the legacy plugin folder but it didn't work,
it said I had to install envaccess.p - which I did and it still didn't work.
The manuals say that all the plugins in the legacy folder are there for
compatibility only and they have been updated and made part of layout. So
where am I looking for the natural shaders?

3. Has anyone else had crashes from the Hypervoxel plugin - it only happens
a few times, but I can't load the chimney example scene.

4. I've done the cloth falling on the ball tutorial in motion designer
(which I must admit I was impressed with) but I can't get it to work with
any more complicated object (I tried the cow and the car that you make in
the tutorial), it just falls through them unless I increase the skin size to
much higher and then it won't even reach the object.

And are there any online tutorials for 6 yet that explain some of the more
complicated options in the new areas like Hypervoxels and Particle Storm 2

Well, I think thats it for my first couple of days play. It is a fantastic
program though, and a definite step up from Inspire which I was using
previously.

Have Fun
    Martin

Loads of [6] questions (well a few at least)

Post by Al Stre » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:37:17 +0100, "Martin Harris"

>2. Natural shaders - I wanted to use the snow shader, but it is no longer
>there. So I installed in from the legacy plugin folder but it didn't work,
>it said I had to install envaccess.p - which I did and it still didn't work.

make sure you load the envaccess.p and preview.p from the legacy
folder.  If you load the envaccess.p only, LW will keep asking you to
load it, but it's looking for preview.p.

Of course, once it's loaded, you can only really use it for old scenes
-- it no longer has an interface.  Guess we'll have to learn to use
the new gradient tools :)

Quote:>The manuals say that all the plugins in the legacy folder are there for
>compatibility only and they have been updated and made part of layout. So
>where am I looking for the natural shaders?

>Have Fun
>    Martin

Al Street    (copied from an earlier post...)

Loads of [6] questions (well a few at least)

Post by Roni » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My Hypervoxels work fine. I tried to load that chimney file also
and it crashed so I played around with the plugin and sure
enough it works fine. Guess the file is bad.

Loads of [6] questions (well a few at least)

Post by Martin Harri » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Okay then, thanks - but now that its useless from me (no interface kind of
makes thing difficult) how do I remove the plugins again so that they don't
clutter up my shaders drop down. I tried removing them from the config file
for layout but they came back, I'll keep trying though until someone
suggests something better.

Have Fun
    Martin

>Of course, once it's loaded, you can only really use it for old scenes
>-- it no longer has an interface.  Guess we'll have to learn to use
>the new gradient tools :)

1. little OT loading a midi file -- (newbie)

(yes i also tried at directx.audio)

hi i want to play a midi file using direct audio,
the third parameter of this function which is the filename needs to be an
unsigned short * ?
well that's what my compiler says but i dont understand how a
filename(string) can be converted to a unsigned short * using just a capital
L.

what i want is to just insert a string or get a string from my string table
resource
and insert it here but i dont know how the change it to unsigned short *

g_pLoader->LoadObjectFromFile(CLSID_DirectMusicSegment,
IID_IDirectMusicSegment8, L"\\castle.mid", (LPVOID*) &g_pSegment ))

the SDK tutorials gives this but i dont want to use 30 lines of code just to
specify a path / filename

CHAR strPath[MAX_PATH];
  GetWindowsDirectory( strPath, MAX_PATH );
  strcat( strPath, "\\media" );

// Convert to Unicode.

  WCHAR wstrSearchPath[MAX_PATH];
  MultiByteToWideChar( CP_ACP, 0, strPath, -1,
         wstrSearchPath, MAX_PATH );

  // Set the search directory.

Loader->SetSearchDirectory(
    GUID_DirectMusicAllTypes, // Types of files sought.
    wstrSearchPath,     // Where to look.
    FALSE         // Don't clear object data.
  );

  WCHAR wstrFileName[MAX_PATH] = L"The Microsoft Sound.wav";

when i use this :
g_pLoader->LoadObjectFromFile(CLSID_DirectMusicSegment, IID_IDirectMusicSegment8, L"\\castle.mid", (LPVOID*) &g_pSegment )) the program automatically takes the drive where my program is on as the default drive.in this case by specifying \\castle.mid it takes e:\castle.mid. if i really need to set a search directory and so on cant i just specify the directory where my program is in as the default dir? i dont understand why there have to be 60 different types of variables to hold just a string or a buffer of chars, and what is the capital L good for ? i really appreciate any help as im rather confused by this...

2. Cool playback software

3. Best / Least Expensive Source for Ligtwave...?

4. Need tilted ellipse algorithm

5. Best (least squares) Fit Rectangle

6. New Web Site

7. A few demo effects questions that puzzle me...