All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Ronald Step » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:26:27

Quote:> Hello all,

> We have recently completed a music video for an up-and-coming band
out
> of Detroit.  All animation and rendering was done in Lightwave. We'd
> love to get some comments and critiques from the Lightwave
community.
> Thanks.

> Go here: www.skylightdi.com/video/wi062403.wmv

> AR

> www.skylightdi.com

Whoa Momma!

I'd have to say I was riveted... now if MTV would play stuff like this
more and Real World less, I might actually watch them..

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Ma3r » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:09:03

Very impressive.  Nice look, decent tune, etc.  Was the walking figure CG as
well?

My only crit is that the data rate on the file (nearly 680k) was a bit large
for smooth playback on my older, smaller system (450 Mhz).  Moved it over to
a faster machine and it played fine.  I've seen some other wmv files that
were in the 150k range on playback and looked fine but loosing it a bit on
the audio.

M.
--
(Hint: The 3 is silent. Remove if replying privately.)

Quote:> Hello all,

> We have recently completed a music video for an up-and-coming band out
> of Detroit.  All animation and rendering was done in Lightwave. We'd
> love to get some comments and critiques from the Lightwave community.
> Thanks.

> Go here: www.skylightdi.com/video/wi062403.wmv

> AR

> www.skylightdi.com

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Joe Riddl » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:22:33

See I took a different look at this... It was easy enough to see the
CG-state of the main character in the video, but I chalked up his plasticity
to the simple fact that he was really nothing more than an action figure
sitting on a kids play table...

Very good work, and a catchy little tune!

Cheers!

Joe Riddle
LW Tutorial Writer

> Hey Mark,

> The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> Thanks for your comments.

> AR

> > Very impressive.  Nice look, decent tune, etc.  Was the walking figure
CG as
> > well?

> > My only crit is that the data rate on the file (nearly 680k) was a bit
large
> > for smooth playback on my older, smaller system (450 Mhz).  Moved it
over to
> > a faster machine and it played fine.  I've seen some other wmv files
that
> > were in the 150k range on playback and looked fine but loosing it a bit
on
> > the audio.

> > M.

---

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:13:40

I thought it was pretty damn good.  I wouldn't say riviting...

Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very
simple.  It was all very well done.  There are some artifacts
around the silhouetted walker that I'm not sure I understand.
It's well enough done that it may be a purposfull attempt to
create the "look" of a figure (doll) which we later discover
at the end of the video.

Good Job dudes!

> See I took a different look at this... It was easy enough to see the
> CG-state of the main character in the video, but I chalked up his plasticity
> to the simple fact that he was really nothing more than an action figure
> sitting on a kids play table...

> Very good work, and a catchy little tune!

> Cheers!

> Joe Riddle
> LW Tutorial Writer

> > Hey Mark,

> > The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> > actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> > Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> > Thanks for your comments.

> > AR

> > > Very impressive.  Nice look, decent tune, etc.  Was the walking figure
> CG as
> > > well?

> > > My only crit is that the data rate on the file (nearly 680k) was a bit
> large
> > > for smooth playback on my older, smaller system (450 Mhz).  Moved it
> over to
> > > a faster machine and it played fine.  I've seen some other wmv files
> that
> > > were in the 150k range on playback and looked fine but loosing it a bit
> on
> > > the audio.

> > > M.

> ---

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Larry Snide » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:04:57

What is Mo-Cap?

> Hey Mark,

> The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> Thanks for your comments.

> AR

> > Very impressive.  Nice look, decent tune, etc.  Was the walking figure
CG as
> > well?

> > My only crit is that the data rate on the file (nearly 680k) was a bit
large
> > for smooth playback on my older, smaller system (450 Mhz).  Moved it
over to
> > a faster machine and it played fine.  I've seen some other wmv files
that
> > were in the 150k range on playback and looked fine but loosing it a bit
on
> > the audio.

> > M.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Larry Snide » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:41:01

Motion Capture, right?

> What is Mo-Cap?

> > Hey Mark,

> > The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> > actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> > Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> > Thanks for your comments.

> > AR

> > > Very impressive.  Nice look, decent tune, etc.  Was the walking figure
> CG as
> > > well?

> > > My only crit is that the data rate on the file (nearly 680k) was a bit
> large
> > > for smooth playback on my older, smaller system (450 Mhz).  Moved it
> over to
> > > a faster machine and it played fine.  I've seen some other wmv files
> that
> > > were in the 150k range on playback and looked fine but loosing it a
bit
> on
> > > the audio.

> > > M.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:43:59

T,

Thanks. You're right... we were originally going to shoot the main character
on HD and composite him into the setting, but got to thinking... if he's NOT
real, then we can do this all in LW, no? Funny thing is, I would have lit
the scenes identically whether or not we went CG or not. And I think the
artifacts you're seeing might be on account of the streaming (WMV)
compression... the full-res D5 master doesn't contain that stuff.

As far as your "technically very simple" comment goes... well... umm... just
ask Arthur Ray how "easy" this was for us (i.e. trying to simultaneously use
Sasquatch... and X-DOF... and Motion Capture... and...).

:)

Kevin
www.skylightdi.com

> I thought it was pretty damn good.  I wouldn't say riviting...

> Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very
> simple.  It was all very well done.  There are some artifacts
> around the silhouetted walker that I'm not sure I understand.
> It's well enough done that it may be a purposfull attempt to
> create the "look" of a figure (doll) which we later discover
> at the end of the video.

> Good Job dudes!

> > See I took a different look at this... It was easy enough to see the
> > CG-state of the main character in the video, but I chalked up his
plasticity
> > to the simple fact that he was really nothing more than an action figure
> > sitting on a kids play table...

> > Very good work, and a catchy little tune!

> > Cheers!

> > Joe Riddle
> > LW Tutorial Writer

> > > Hey Mark,

> > > The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> > > actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> > > Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> > > Thanks for your comments.

> > > AR

> > CG as

> > large
> > over to
> > that
> > on

> > ---

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:44:19

Yep.

> Motion Capture, right?

> > What is Mo-Cap?

> > > Hey Mark,

> > > The walking guy is CG using Mo-Cap (mostly).  The only scene where an
> > > actor is used is the "birthday party dream sequence."

> > > Maybe we should try a smaller data rate on the WMV.

> > > Thanks for your comments.

> > > AR

> > CG as

> > large
> > over to
> > that
> bit
> > on

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:17:15

http://www.metamotion.com/  Would be one place to
look for info on the subject.  Motion Capture is
the process of recording a live motion event and
translating it into usable mathimatical terms or
"Digitizing" it by tracking a a number of keypoints
in space over and combinning them to obtain a 3D
representation of the proformance.  The captured
subject could be anything that exists in real life
and that moves.  The keypoints are the points that
best represent the pivital points of the various
moving parts of the subject or actor.  Like the
wrist, elbow, and shoulder for the arm of a human
subject.  The location of each of these points is
identified by a "marker" or in some types of mocap
rigs by sensors or potentiometers (think volume
knobs). In the case of the type that use markers
(best IMO) multiple cameras simultaneously record
the same movement and then later (or in real-time)
the camera feeds of the high contrast markers are
identified (usually via raster-scan) and triangulated
to produce the motion paths of the markers in 3D
space.  The digitized key-point data is then
translated into data usable by software such as
Lightwave and applied to a figure or character
rigging.  There are a bunch of specialized tool as
you saw if you visited that site, for working with
and creating mocap data.

I get to play with a pretty nicesetup at school and
I'm here to tell ya it definitely classifies as a
cool toy!

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:42:45

Hey Kev,

> T,

> Thanks. You're right... we were originally going to shoot the main character
> on HD and composite him into the setting, but got to thinking... if he's NOT
> real, then we can do this all in LW, no? Funny thing is, I would have lit
> the scenes identically whether or not we went CG or not. And I think the
> artifacts you're seeing might be on account of the streaming (WMV)
> compression... the full-res D5 master doesn't contain that stuff.

Yup, that coulda been it...

Quote:> As far as your "technically very simple" comment goes... well... umm... just
> ask Arthur Ray how "easy" this was for us (i.e. trying to simultaneously use
> Sasquatch... and X-DOF... and Motion Capture... and...).

Oh, that was mocapped?  Cool!  You musta messed with it in Kaydara some no?
Either that or the actor was very good!   Anyway, I did say:

    Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very simple.
    -------------------------------------

For others reading this who may not know CA is Character Animation and in
this case I also meant Character Modeling.

Hehe, so now you're down to X-DOF Kevin   O :-)    Besides, technical simplicity
is NOT a critical factor in determining excellence!

> :)

> Kevin
> www.skylightdi.com

> > I thought it was pretty damn good.  I wouldn't say riviting...

> > Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very
> > simple.  It was all very well done.  There are some artifacts
> > around the silhouetted walker that I'm not sure I understand.
> > It's well enough done that it may be a purposfull attempt to
> > create the "look" of a figure (doll) which we later discover
> > at the end of the video.

> > Good Job dudes!

> > > See I took a different look at this... It was easy enough to see the
> > > CG-state of the main character in the video, but I chalked up his
> plasticity
> > > to the simple fact that he was really nothing more than an action figure
> > > sitting on a kids play table...

> > > Very good work, and a catchy little tune!

> > > Cheers!

> > > Joe Riddle
> > > LW Tutorial Writer

> figure
> > > CG as

> bit
> > > large
> > > over to
> > > that
> bit
> > > on

> > > ---

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:21:46

:)

Yeah... FilmBox is awesome... we had a company called  Motek
(www.e-motek.com) in Amsterdam do the mocap... very fun and the ocean
between us didn't seem to make a bit of difference. Oshri and Jasper rock
over there. We ran into the biggest struggles with the combinations of
plugins kinda messing each other up somewhat (mostly to do with the CA). And
Sasquatch... well... it sure likes to do things unexpectedly... very often.
At one point if the character got too far from the camera his hair would go
away and we just did a work-around on that as opposed to taking another week
or so to figure it out.

Oh, and being a cinematographer, I just love X-DOF!  Combining that with Dan
Ablan's tiny little expression for auto-focus (to mix X-DOF with LW's DOF)
everything started to work just right in the camera department.

Kev

> Hey Kev,

> > T,

> > Thanks. You're right... we were originally going to shoot the main
character
> > on HD and composite him into the setting, but got to thinking... if he's
NOT
> > real, then we can do this all in LW, no? Funny thing is, I would have
lit
> > the scenes identically whether or not we went CG or not. And I think the
> > artifacts you're seeing might be on account of the streaming (WMV)
> > compression... the full-res D5 master doesn't contain that stuff.

> Yup, that coulda been it...

> > As far as your "technically very simple" comment goes... well... umm...
just
> > ask Arthur Ray how "easy" this was for us (i.e. trying to simultaneously
use
> > Sasquatch... and X-DOF... and Motion Capture... and...).

> Oh, that was mocapped?  Cool!  You musta messed with it in Kaydara some
no?
> Either that or the actor was very good!   Anyway, I did say:

>     Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very simple.
>     -------------------------------------

> For others reading this who may not know CA is Character Animation and in
> this case I also meant Character Modeling.

> Hehe, so now you're down to X-DOF Kevin   O :-)    Besides, technical
simplicity
> is NOT a critical factor in determining excellence!

> > :)

> > Kevin
> > www.skylightdi.com

> > > I thought it was pretty damn good.  I wouldn't say riviting...

> > > Except for the CA which was very good, it was technically very
> > > simple.  It was all very well done.  There are some artifacts
> > > around the silhouetted walker that I'm not sure I understand.
> > > It's well enough done that it may be a purposfull attempt to
> > > create the "look" of a figure (doll) which we later discover
> > > at the end of the video.

> > > Good Job dudes!

> > plasticity

> > figure

> > bit
Moved it
> > bit

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Kevin Carric » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:22:28

We used www.e-motek.com... those guys are great.

Quote:

> http://www.metamotion.com/  Would be one place to
> look for info on the subject.  Motion Capture is
> the process of recording a live motion event and
> translating it into usable mathimatical terms or
> "Digitizing" it by tracking a a number of keypoints
> in space over and combinning them to obtain a 3D
> representation of the proformance.  The captured
> subject could be anything that exists in real life
> and that moves.  The keypoints are the points that
> best represent the pivital points of the various
> moving parts of the subject or actor.  Like the
> wrist, elbow, and shoulder for the arm of a human
> subject.  The location of each of these points is
> identified by a "marker" or in some types of mocap
> rigs by sensors or potentiometers (think volume
> knobs). In the case of the type that use markers
> (best IMO) multiple cameras simultaneously record
> the same movement and then later (or in real-time)
> the camera feeds of the high contrast markers are
> identified (usually via raster-scan) and triangulated
> to produce the motion paths of the markers in 3D
> space.  The digitized key-point data is then
> translated into data usable by software such as
> Lightwave and applied to a figure or character
> rigging.  There are a bunch of specialized tool as
> you saw if you visited that site, for working with
> and creating mocap data.

> I get to play with a pretty nicesetup at school and
> I'm here to tell ya it definitely classifies as a
> cool toy!

1. All Lightwave Music Video

I can see it now... More than $10 and less than a million...

:D

--
All the best, Lee Gabel
Luna Seven Imagery * www.lunaseven.com

2. Basics-Moving from selection to selection?

3. Lightwave-animated TV spots and music videos

4. Camera Lenses

5. Music to your LightWave Animations

6. JPEG

7. How can I link video and music files?

8. Spectrogram Videos of Music

9. music and videos in QUICKTIME

10. Music Videos?

11. Way OT:: BBC Endangered Species Music Videos...

12. Looking for Help on Music Video