Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Don Hirschfel » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00



I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality. Ideally, I would like to
record directly to a device like the DPS Perception, but do not need
anything that complicated or expensive. I suppose that recording the AVI
in real time to a VCR would be okay as long as the quality approached
that of my monitor at 640x480. Would any of the digital editor or
capture cards on the market for $200-400 satisfy my needs?

Anyone who has a used older PAR for the PC they are willing to part
with  at a reasonable price, let me know.

Don

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Jack Bennett I » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00


I have heard that the Iomega Buz is pretty decent.  I don't have personal
experience with it, but I have heard people say that it is not bad.


> I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
> not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality. Ideally, I would like to
> record directly to a device like the DPS Perception, but do not need
> anything that complicated or expensive. I suppose that recording the AVI
> in real time to a VCR would be okay as long as the quality approached
> that of my monitor at 640x480. Would any of the digital editor or
> capture cards on the market for $200-400 satisfy my needs?

> Anyone who has a used older PAR for the PC they are willing to part
> with  at a reasonable price, let me know.

> Don

--
------------------------------------------
             Jack Bennett II
       Creative Imagineering, Inc.

LW FAQ:   http://www.cimagineering.com/faq
webpage:      http://www.cimagineering.com

------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Robert Owen » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
>not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality.

    Don, I suggest you look into the Iomega Buz card (assuming you are using a
Windows compatible machine...).   It lists for $199, I believe, but I've seen
it being sold by some online merchants for as low as $160... (By the way,
Iomega is the same company that makes the popular ZIP and JAZ drives)... The
Buz is widely available in the USA  (I bought mine at SEARS, believe it or
not).

    With the Buz card, you can capture live video and edit it (the primary
purpose of this card is to perform as a low-end non-linear editor), then dump
it to tape. You can also send ANY standard AVI file to tape. That means that
you can  dump your Lightwave-rendered CGI straight to tape.

    My primary purpose for purchasing the Buz was to combine live video with
3D CGI (in conjunction with an aggravating camera matchmoving technique I'm
working on, but that's another story altogether...).  So far, I've been able
to dump 720 x 480 CGI rendered at 30 Frames/60 Fields per second to tape, and
it's definitely at least VHS quality, although not necessarily broadcast
quality. Certainly good enough for demo reels and such. In fact, I was
surprised at how good the video quality was for the price.

    The Buz also doubles as a SCSI controller card, so you can add those fancy
SCSI devices to your machine.  A good bonus, considering the price of the
card!

    The Buz is NOT without it's problems (or detractors). It also may not
be compatible with your machine (or some of it's components). Here are some
web pages you may want to follow up on...

   The official Iomega BUZ page:

http://www.iomega.com/buz/

   The Unofficial Iomega Buz FAQ page: (also contains links to
problems/workarounds for the Buz card)

http://www.trix.com/buz

BuzClips Page (Buz Enthusiasts/tips/resources):

http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman/buz/

     I hope this information is helpful. Personally, I feel that there are
a few annoyances about the Buz, but for the price, it DOES get your
animations to tape at decent quality, so the trade-off is worth it, in my
opinion.

     Another option you might want to consider, other than the Buz, are these
new MPEG2/DVD playback boards that are available for around $100. With an
MPEG2 encoder software (which you may need to purchase separately), you can
apparently send your CGI anims to tape via these MPEG2 playback boards at DVD
quality! Unfortunately, I haven't researched this option much and therefore
know little about it, but perhaps this might be enough info for you to start a
search on. You can't capture LIVE video with these boards, though, only play
back..

     Anyhow, I hope this helps...

                Robert Owens

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by James Han » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00


The only downfall I can see is that the Buz in Win95 only, and when you are
confined to NT only its not an option.



> >I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
> >not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality.

>     Don, I suggest you look into the Iomega Buz card (assuming you are using a
> Windows compatible machine...).   It lists for $199, I believe, but I've seen
> it being sold by some online merchants for as low as $160... (By the way,
> Iomega is the same company that makes the popular ZIP and JAZ drives)... The
> Buz is widely available in the USA  (I bought mine at SEARS, believe it or
> not).

>     With the Buz card, you can capture live video and edit it (the primary
> purpose of this card is to perform as a low-end non-linear editor), then dump
> it to tape. You can also send ANY standard AVI file to tape. That means that
> you can  dump your Lightwave-rendered CGI straight to tape.

>     My primary purpose for purchasing the Buz was to combine live video with
> 3D CGI (in conjunction with an aggravating camera matchmoving technique I'm
> working on, but that's another story altogether...).  So far, I've been able
> to dump 720 x 480 CGI rendered at 30 Frames/60 Fields per second to tape, and
> it's definitely at least VHS quality, although not necessarily broadcast
> quality. Certainly good enough for demo reels and such. In fact, I was
> surprised at how good the video quality was for the price.

>     The Buz also doubles as a SCSI controller card, so you can add those fancy
> SCSI devices to your machine.  A good bonus, considering the price of the
> card!

>     The Buz is NOT without it's problems (or detractors). It also may not
> be compatible with your machine (or some of it's components). Here are some
> web pages you may want to follow up on...

>    The official Iomega BUZ page:

> http://www.iomega.com/buz/

>    The Unofficial Iomega Buz FAQ page: (also contains links to
> problems/workarounds for the Buz card)

> http://www.trix.com/buz

> BuzClips Page (Buz Enthusiasts/tips/resources):

> http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman/buz/

>      I hope this information is helpful. Personally, I feel that there are
> a few annoyances about the Buz, but for the price, it DOES get your
> animations to tape at decent quality, so the trade-off is worth it, in my
> opinion.

>      Another option you might want to consider, other than the Buz, are these
> new MPEG2/DVD playback boards that are available for around $100. With an
> MPEG2 encoder software (which you may need to purchase separately), you can
> apparently send your CGI anims to tape via these MPEG2 playback boards at DVD
> quality! Unfortunately, I haven't researched this option much and therefore
> know little about it, but perhaps this might be enough info for you to start a
> search on. You can't capture LIVE video with these boards, though, only play
> back..

>      Anyhow, I hope this helps...

>                 Robert Owens

--
          ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
           `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
           (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
          _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
        (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'
+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--
James Hans - Graphics Artist - Hass Services & NCCA
          http://www.Hass-Services.com
                 ICQ: 13553523
 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Robert Owen » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00





>> >I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
>> >not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality.

>>     Don, I suggest you look into the Iomega Buz card (assuming you are
>>     using a Windows compatible machine...).
>The only downfall I can see is that the Buz in Win95 only, and when you are
>confined to NT only its not an option.

      Very true. And the last I heard, there are no plans to make the Buz NT
compatible, unfortunately.

                Robert Owens

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by nige » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00


i was wondering if you can use this card along with a camcorder and
something like premiere to do stop motion stuff.

nigel




>>I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
>>not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality.

>    Don, I suggest you look into the Iomega Buz card (assuming you are using a
>Windows compatible machine...).   It lists for $199, I believe, but I've seen
>it being sold by some online merchants for as low as $160... (By the way,
>Iomega is the same company that makes the popular ZIP and JAZ drives)... The
>Buz is widely available in the USA  (I bought mine at SEARS, believe it or
>not).

>    With the Buz card, you can capture live video and edit it (the primary
>purpose of this card is to perform as a low-end non-linear editor), then dump
>it to tape. You can also send ANY standard AVI file to tape. That means that
>you can  dump your Lightwave-rendered CGI straight to tape.

>    My primary purpose for purchasing the Buz was to combine live video with
>3D CGI (in conjunction with an aggravating camera matchmoving technique I'm
>working on, but that's another story altogether...).  So far, I've been able
>to dump 720 x 480 CGI rendered at 30 Frames/60 Fields per second to tape, and
>it's definitely at least VHS quality, although not necessarily broadcast
>quality. Certainly good enough for demo reels and such. In fact, I was
>surprised at how good the video quality was for the price.

>    The Buz also doubles as a SCSI controller card, so you can add those fancy
>SCSI devices to your machine.  A good bonus, considering the price of the
>card!

>    The Buz is NOT without it's problems (or detractors). It also may not
>be compatible with your machine (or some of it's components). Here are some
>web pages you may want to follow up on...

>   The official Iomega BUZ page:

>http://www.iomega.com/buz/

>   The Unofficial Iomega Buz FAQ page: (also contains links to
>problems/workarounds for the Buz card)

>http://www.trix.com/buz

>BuzClips Page (Buz Enthusiasts/tips/resources):

>http://paradigm.uor.edu/~harshman/buz/

>     I hope this information is helpful. Personally, I feel that there are
>a few annoyances about the Buz, but for the price, it DOES get your
>animations to tape at decent quality, so the trade-off is worth it, in my
>opinion.

>     Another option you might want to consider, other than the Buz, are these
>new MPEG2/DVD playback boards that are available for around $100. With an
>MPEG2 encoder software (which you may need to purchase separately), you can
>apparently send your CGI anims to tape via these MPEG2 playback boards at DVD
>quality! Unfortunately, I haven't researched this option much and therefore
>know little about it, but perhaps this might be enough info for you to start a
>search on. You can't capture LIVE video with these boards, though, only play
>back..

>     Anyhow, I hope this helps...

>                Robert Owens

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Robert Owen » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>>    Don, I suggest you look into the Iomega Buz card (assuming you are using
>>    a Windows compatible machine...).
>i was wondering if you can use this card along with a camcorder and
>something like premiere to do stop motion stuff.

    Yes, the Buz can capture individual frames from a camcorder, and many Buz
owners use Premiere with the card rather than the included Videowave NLE
software.  So it's entirely possible to do stop motion animation using the
Buz. You really don't even need Premiere. You can capture a series of
individual frames using Videowave, then use an external program (available as
PD/shareware) to compile these frames into an AVI file, which you can output
to video at full 30 frames/60 fields per second.

         Robert Owens

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by SelRecor » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Dear Don,

I have a 2 or 3 year old Rainbow Runner daughter board for my Mystique 2Mb
video adapter (Yes, one of my new years resolutions is to upgrade my hardware!)
This old piece of kit should be available for next to nothing by now and does
exactly what you require. It comes with Media Studio so I can convert frame
buffers into AVI, MPG or MOV files that I can then get the hardware on the RR
card to play out to video via it's dedicated composite or S-Video outputs. It
can also grab video too and I recently did a rock video that required dropping
somebody filmed against a blue backdrop  into a virtual world. The Rainbow
Runner made life very easy indeed!

Yours,
Richard :o)

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by Jeffrey D. Hoffma » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Don, you actually have many options that don't sacrifice quality for a
small price tag.  Several other individuals have pointed out some
excellent suggestions and I'd like to re-iterate based on our
experiences here at Safe Harbor.

The Iomega Buz is one I highly recommend.  It has received a lot of
criticism because it often runs into installation difficulties on many
systems but once you get over that hurdle, you have an extremely low
cost, powerful video editing system with good quality.  We have some
extensive hands-on reviews of the Iomega Buz that will give you a better
idea about what some people have gone through and what they love about
"having a Buz."

   Iomega Buz .............................. $ 189.00
   <http://www.sharbor.com/products/IOMI5010001.html>

My other suggestion is the incredible Matrox Marvel.  In addition to a
great video recorder/player, you'll get OpenGL acceleration (the drivers
are still in Beta, however), 2D acceleration, and about a dozen other
great features.  These are back-ordered everywhere except at Safe Harbor
- we've got both the AGP and the PCI versions in stock.

   Matrox Marvel G200 TV ........................ $ 279.99
   AGP: <http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXI5300013.html>
   PCI: <http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXI5300013.html>

Another PCI video recorder option is the Pinnacle Studio DC10 plus.
This is a cost-effective, high performance capture/playback card that
has a $30 mail-in rebate right now.

   Pinnacle Studio DC10 Plus ............... $ 169.99
   <http://www.sharbor.com/products/PINI5010001.html>

Complete specifications, hands-on reviews, and a whole lot more
available at our web site.

------------------
Jeffrey D. Hoffman
Safe Harbor Computers   800-544-6599   http://www.sharbor.com
"Save up to 75% on digital video, 3D, and graphics products."

 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by marianne kerbe » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> Don, you actually have many options that don't sacrifice quality for a
> small price tag.  Several other individuals have pointed out some
> excellent suggestions and I'd like to re-iterate based on our
> experiences here at Safe Harbor.

> The Iomega Buz is one I highly recommend.  It has received a lot of
> criticism because it often runs into installation difficulties on many
> systems but once you get over that hurdle, you have an extremely low
> cost, powerful video editing system with good quality.  We have some
> extensive hands-on reviews of the Iomega Buz that will give you a better
> idea about what some people have gone through and what they love about
> "having a Buz."

>    Iomega Buz .............................. $ 189.00
>    <http://www.sharbor.com/products/IOMI5010001.html>

> My other suggestion is the incredible Matrox Marvel.  In addition to a
> great video recorder/player, you'll get OpenGL acceleration (the drivers
> are still in Beta, however), 2D acceleration, and about a dozen other
> great features.  These are back-ordered everywhere except at Safe Harbor
> - we've got both the AGP and the PCI versions in stock.

>    Matrox Marvel G200 TV ........................ $ 279.99
>    AGP: <http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXI5300013.html>
>    PCI: <http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXI5300013.html>

> Another PCI video recorder option is the Pinnacle Studio DC10 plus.
> This is a cost-effective, high performance capture/playback card that
> has a $30 mail-in rebate right now.

>    Pinnacle Studio DC10 Plus ............... $ 169.99
>    <http://www.sharbor.com/products/PINI5010001.html>

> Complete specifications, hands-on reviews, and a whole lot more
> available at our web site.

> ------------------
> Jeffrey D. Hoffman
> Safe Harbor Computers   800-544-6599   http://www.sharbor.com
> "Save up to 75% on digital video, 3D, and graphics products."

A really good card is the ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 8mb AGP.  You can buy it at
your local Best Buy or Comp USA for about $180.  I've seen some pretty good
stuff come out of one.   I only recommend it though if you aren't happy with
your current video card which it will most definately replace.  It's got
some nice extras like PC TV as well.  9:1 compression though.
A really nice output system that someone mentioned earlier is the Matrox
Rainbow Runner Series.  I've heard some really good things about this one.
Everything that you need to make it work is available for $349.95 at
www.videoguys.com in the product section.  This includes a video card.  Hope
these help.
 
 
 

Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

Post by News » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>i was wondering if you can use this card along with a camcorder and
>something like premiere to do stop motion stuff.

The answer is yes.  It has a function to add frames one at a time to an AVI
file.

Brian Taylor

 
 
 

1. Is an inexpensive animation recorder available?

I would like to record my animations done with Lightwave to tape. I do
not need broadcast quality, just VCR quality. Ideally, I would like to
record directly to a device like the DPS Perception, but do not need
anything that complicated or expensive. I suppose that recording the AVI
in real time to a VCR would be okay as long as the quality approached
that of my monitor at 640x480. Would any of the digital editor or
capture cards on the market for $200-400 satisfy my needs?

Anyone who has a used older PAR for the PC they are willing to part
with  at a reasonable price, let me know.

Don

2. Earth to Pantone ... hello?

3. Inexpensive/free .avi compiler available?

4. Does gluTessVertex work on OpenGL for W95/NT?

5. FS: Inexpensive Graphics/Animation SWare

6. Border remove

7. New inexpensive animation/editing system for Amiga: Movie Maker

8. Kinetix's website down?

9. Film Recorders Available?

10. FS: DPS Personal Animation Recorder (PC version)