slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Geof » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:03:58

Hello all
It's not totally Lightwave related, but I have a problem with a PC I
built and after scouring the web, I can't find anything that helps.

Basically, the machine sometimes will not start *at all* when switched
on (IE, as if there is no power at all, no fans, nada). I have to turn
off the power at the mains, wait about 10 seconds, and then try again.
Sometimes it then starts, sometimes I have to repeat the turning off
at the mains procedure. Eventually it does start and is steady as a
rock, but I'm concerned that it may be a potentially more serious
problem waiting to happen.

I first thought it might be a heat problem, so I bought and fitted a
more than ample AMD recommended CPU fan and heat conducting gunk. I
also bought an extra case fan and cleaned out the case with compressed
air so it's very dust free inside. All cables are tucked away so
there's no obstruction to airflow, but it still has problems starting
up.

The system spec is:

MSI 6390 motherboard
Athlon XP 1800+ CPU
512 MB DDR memory
GeForce FX Graphics card

If this rings any bells with anyone, I'd really appreciate any
suggestions as to how to fix it. I'm beginning to think that it's just
a crappy motherboard and that I should shell out for an Abit or Asus.

Cheers

Geoff

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Alan Llo » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:14:01

Quote:>Hello all
>It's not totally Lightwave related, but I have a problem with a PC I
>built and after scouring the web, I can't find anything that helps.

>Basically, the machine sometimes will not start *at all* when switched
>on (IE, as if there is no power at all, no fans, nada). I have to turn
>off the power at the mains, wait about 10 seconds, and then try again.
>Sometimes it then starts, sometimes I have to repeat the turning off
>at the mains procedure. Eventually it does start and is steady as a
>rock, but I'm concerned that it may be a potentially more serious
>problem waiting to happen.

>I first thought it might be a heat problem, so I bought and fitted a
>more than ample AMD recommended CPU fan and heat conducting gunk. I
>also bought an extra case fan and cleaned out the case with compressed
>air so it's very dust free inside. All cables are tucked away so
>there's no obstruction to airflow, but it still has problems starting up.

I doubt it's a heat problem if it's a startup related thing.  Sounds
more like something weird in the power supply or motherboard to me.

Try it with the case open, and see if it's related to the lilttle
"power present" LED on the motherboard going out on disconnection from
mains power.  As in, if the LED is on, it won't start, if the LED is
out, it starts.

Then, see if a different power supply makes a difference.

Diagnose first, then fix.

Quote:>The system spec is:

Post by Brizo » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:22:59

| Hello all
| It's not totally Lightwave related, but I have a problem with a PC I
| built and after scouring the web, I can't find anything that helps.
|
| Basically, the machine sometimes will not start *at all* when switched
| on (IE, as if there is no power at all, no fans, nada). I have to turn
| off the power at the mains, wait about 10 seconds, and then try again.
| Sometimes it then starts, sometimes I have to repeat the turning off
| at the mains procedure. Eventually it does start and is steady as a
| rock, but I'm concerned that it may be a potentially more serious
| problem waiting to happen.
|
| I first thought it might be a heat problem, so I bought and fitted a
| more than ample AMD recommended CPU fan and heat conducting gunk. I
| also bought an extra case fan and cleaned out the case with compressed
| air so it's very dust free inside. All cables are tucked away so
| there's no obstruction to airflow, but it still has problems starting
| up.
|
| The system spec is:
|
| MSI 6390 motherboard
| Athlon XP 1800+ CPU
| 512 MB DDR memory
| GeForce FX Graphics card
|
| If this rings any bells with anyone, I'd really appreciate any
| suggestions as to how to fix it. I'm beginning to think that it's just
| a crappy motherboard and that I should shell out for an Abit or Asus.
|
| Cheers
|
| Geoff

check the cpu fan is fixed correctly, and that all wires and connections are
in place fully and not loose.. check the video card aswell, AGP can come
loose easily sometimes, and intermittent problems like you discribe could be
down to that

just a few guesses anyway

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Martin Ston » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:47:11

Quote:> Hello all

Hello

Quote:> If this rings any bells with anyone, I'd really appreciate any
> suggestions as to how to fix it. I'm beginning to think that it's just
> a crappy motherboard and that I should shell out for an Abit or Asus.

Don't buy a new m'board, 'cos my new Asus is doing exactly what you
describe, plus occasionally the memory defaults to 166MHz (ick) on startup.
I'm gonna chuck in a new power supply, as the box is running on my old one
(3, 4 yrs old - originally in a 300MHz, then 800MHZ, now my Athlon 2500) and
'fairly knowledgable people' think that it could be borderline on the juice
due to being old fashioned, and old.  If ya see what I mean.  A good enough
power supply is 18 if you're not running 10 fans and neon lights etc:

Then you have to buy Vice City.  Oh, and Splinter Cell.

Quote:> Cheers

> Geoff

Good luck...  To me too.

Post by Gareth Ja » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:47:01

Quote:> If this rings any bells with anyone, I'd really appreciate any
> suggestions as to how to fix it. I'm beginning to think that it's just
> a crappy motherboard and that I should shell out for an Abit or Asus.

As said by Alan, i'd check the power supply before anything else.

--
Gareth Jax
Ihgger #7*3*2

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Kevin F Stubb » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:04:49

Quote:> As said by Alan, i'd check the power supply before anything else.

..and don't forget to check the 'other' power supply. Make sure the battery for
the CMOS RAM is seated correctly and isn't on it's way out. This can cause
problems too.

Cheers

Kevin F Stubbs
Kayef Select Limited

Post by Will » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:56:28

Quote:>> If this rings any bells with anyone, I'd really appreciate any
>> suggestions as to how to fix it. I'm beginning to think that it's just
>> a crappy motherboard and that I should shell out for an Abit or Asus.

>As said by Alan, i'd check the power supply before anything else.

Indeed -- I work in a screwdriver shop with a service deprtment, so I see
similar problems most every day.  The power supply is most often the culprit.
The next most suspicious thing would be the motherboard.

Before you buy any more parts, try the voodoo fix:

(voodoo in the sense of dark magic, not 3dfx, though it should work with 3dfx
cards, too...)

Yank the video card from the system, and power it on.  Let it set for a few
seconds, long enough to post up, etc.

Turn it off, throw the video card back in, and power it up.

Inexplicably, this has saved a total of four apparently completely dead systems
for no apparent reason.  I have no idea why exactly it works, but for some odd
reason, it sometimes does, and it's free.

My guess is that booting without the video card forces the PnP hardware to
reset itself or something...
------------------
Woooogy
I have to go back in time to pretend to be myself when I tell myself to tell
myself, because I don't remember having been told by myself to tell myself.  I
love temp*mechanics.

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Geof » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:47:17

Thanks all.
I bought a new 400W power supply and that seems to have sorted it. At least
it hasn't refused to start up so far anyway.

Should probably start up a new thread for this but what's the scoop with
Lightwave 8 and Luxology? Last I heard, Luxology was developing stuff for
Lightwave 8....I remember phrases like "the Lightwave community now has two
mom's" and on. Have newtek and Luxology parted ways? I've been out of the
news loop a bit, hectic schedule and all. Anyone have any links to some
proper news? Or is it all speculation still?

cheers

Geoff

Quote:> > As said by Alan, i'd check the power supply before anything else.
> ..and don't forget to check the 'other' power supply. Make sure the
battery for
> the CMOS RAM is seated correctly and isn't on it's way out. This can cause
> problems too.

> Cheers

> Kevin F Stubbs
> Kayef Select Limited

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Geof » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:51:08

Quote:> Then you have to buy Vice City.  Oh, and Splinter Cell.

I'm still struggling with my C&C Generals *ion at the
moment.....Splinter Cell would finish me off I think!

slightly OT: PC Hardware problems

Post by Martin Ston » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:58:29

Quote:> Thanks all.
> I bought a new 400W power supply and that seems to have sorted it. At
least
> it hasn't refused to start up so far anyway.

Excellent.  Where's that Novatech catalogue gone...

Incidentally, if you call novatech and order: A Socket A Board, an AMD chip
and a _Pentium_4_ heatsink they will ship the lot and not even raise an
eyebrow.  Well, they may - hard to tell over the phone.  They didn't *y
say anything tho'.

1. yet another mac vs pc post (slightly ot)

There's all this talk (these postings?) about how good the mac is for grafx and
blah blah blah, but what about 3D art? SoftImage, 3D Studio Max, Truespace? Are
any of these on a mac? Does the mac offer anything that even competes with
these? I realize this is a bit off topic since this is a photoshop newsgroup,
and not a mac vs. pc newsgroup, but just to say one thing on topic....

Has anyone who reads this NG regularly ever thought of creating an faq for
people new to this NG? Not to give a lecture on netiquette, but to answer
common questions before they're asked (i.e. how do I make a circle, why can I
only save in psd format, etc.) and possibly give a list of links to good sites.
I hear people always say "just do a search" which when looking for a specific
program can be good advice, but when looking for a general method on how to do
something that isn't such good advice because, in my experience, the best web
pages for any topic, are the ones that have been recommended to me in a
newsgroup. I've seen this done for other newsgroups, and they tend to be quite
helpful.

~me

2. ELITE - Career Opportunities (GAMES)

3. OT: (Slightly) - Connectix Virtual PC?

4. Occupancy question ...

5. slightly OT: Linux X problem

6. Linux/OpenGl and OpenInventor

7. Slightly OT: Which office chair?

8. comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro FAQ pointer

9. slightly OT: terragen

10. Slightly OT - Media Centre

11. re. Slightly OT file association question

12. Any ideas? (slightly OT)

13. slightly OT - image viewer.