Polygon reduction in Lightwave

Post by SandyClaw » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

The one that came with LightWave.
It's in Modeller...
Custom.....  >
Ummm....

OOh, gotta go!!
The Simpsons are on!!

Post by Paul Oberlande » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, whats a good polygon reduction tool in Lightwave?

Marvin Landis free plugin qemLOSS:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

Paul
--

"The greater the diameter of your knowledge, the
greater the circumference of your ignorance..."

Polygon reduction in Lightwave

Post by Steven Hoefe » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Sandy once again imparts some wonderful information to the group.  We thank
you for the input...

Hans asked for a GOOD polygon reduction tool...  The only thing the built in
one is good for is when I've accidentally subdivided a plane...

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/decimate.html
is really damn good, though the interface is a bit elaborate...

steve
steven(at)balo(dot)com.

Post by Hans » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi, whats a good polygon reduction tool in Lightwave?

Polygon reduction in Lightwave

Post by Brenden Meclear » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi, whats a good polygon reduction tool in Lightwave?

 Well, there's the one that comes with it ("Reduce-Polygons"), and
two more great ones available at http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/.

Post by Marvin Landi » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/decimate.html
> is really damn good, though the interface is a bit elaborate...

You might also want to try qemLOSS. There are not quite as many
parameters (although you will still want to read the documentation
to get the best results). For many objects, it does a better job of
reducing the number of polygons. It's free, just like Decimate and
is available for Intel, Alpha, and SGI. The source code is also there
in case any of you Mac or Sun owners want to port it (I keep hoping
someone will give it a try).

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss.html

--
Marvin Landis
WWW Page:       http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/marvinl.html

Post by Matthew Sorre » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>You might also want to try qemLOSS. ... The source code is also there
>in case any of you Mac or Sun owners want to port it (I keep hoping
>someone will give it a try).

As someone who knows a bit about porting these plugins, I suspect
qemLOSS could easily be recompiled on a Mac or a Sun box without a bit
of trouble.  If someone wanted to try it.....

Pontari Productions  (http://www.pontari.com)

Polygon reduction in Lightwave

Post by Don Showalt » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:42:40 -0700, Marvin Landis

>> http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/decimate.html
>> is really damn good, though the interface is a bit elaborate...

>You might also want to try qemLOSS. There are not quite as many
>parameters (although you will still want to read the documentation
>to get the best results). For many objects, it does a better job of
>reducing the number of polygons. It's free, just like Decimate and
>is available for Intel, Alpha, and SGI. The source code is also there
>in case any of you Mac or Sun owners want to port it (I keep hoping
>someone will give it a try).

>http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss.html

I've had a lot of good experiences wirh qemloss.  Very easy to use and
quite effective.  Thanks, Marvin, for being so generous.

Don Showalter
http://members.tripod.com/~scribbler/index.htm

1. Polygon reduction in LightWave 5.5?

Ok, I've been looking at Other Options instead of coughing up
major dollars for 3DS MAX.  Lightwave has a good renderer,
comes with all the functionality I could want, but...I can't find
anything that indicates whether or not I have poly-reduction
tools!  I need to crank out low-poly models for a DirectX
game, and 3DS MAX does this (but is _SERIOUS_
overkill for the task).  Can anyone point me in the direction
of information on the Lightwave modellers ability to merge
faces, make faces coplanar, weld vertices, etc?  Short of
buying a copy first to find out if it'll do it, that is...and no,
I'd rather not warez a copy to see if it'll do it.  I'm hopeful
someone here can pass on the info...

..ed..

2. MAX and Premiere question. Please help

3. Polygon reduction tool, realtime visualization

4. Texture mapping in hardware

5. Polygon Reduction

6. Replacing gluBuildMipMaps by gl* Calls

7. Polygon reduction, real time visualization

8. Polygon Reduction for Marching Cubes

9. Polygon reduction tool, optimizing 3D models for real time visualization

10. CosmoWorlds polygon reduction

11. Polygon reduction software?