Wish List

Post by tgla » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

     First of all I would like to say great job Newtek!
     keep up the good work.

     Newtek, if you are looking for user wish lists,
     this is what I would like to see somtime in the
     future.

[1]  Selective antialiasing. It would be nice to have control
     of what objects are antialiased. Also the ability to turn
     adaptive sampling on some objects but not on others.

[2]  Selective lighting. Allowing you to light one object in
     a group of objects without effecting all the others.

[3]  AVI preview mode. This would allow you to render a preview
     and view it all in layout. Cut out having to save an AVI
     then load up Nt's player.

[4]  Multiple color wireframe previews. Its a plus for me when
     I use different colors in layout, but the previews are black
     wire when viewing. Real hard somtimes to pick out objects
     moving around in a cluster of other objects.

[5]  Object load in matt editor. It would be great to preview your
     textures on a real object rather on silly little balls and
     cubes. It could be a low rez thumb nail. I have seen other
     programs that preview textures on the object directly.

[6]  A second view window. You know, I could have a top view in
     scaled down window in the corner.

[7]  Output tweak controls. Contrast, brightness, hue, so on....
     I know wave filter does it, but it would be nice to control
     that stuff in layout.

[8]  Multiple drive save feature. A way to tell layout if you
     run out of space on one drive, continue on another drive.
     It's a bummer to find out that your drive is full and layout
     was idle for half the night.

------
=B-) Email to mom feature. Sends email telling mom your "ok"
     and what you are doing is a real job. It could send it
     everytime you render a scene.

Well....Thats it. Have a great day!

                                Terry

                                Burlington Vermont.

1. The POV Wish List

There's been a POV4 wish list thread (actually, a couple of them), which
was inspired by an idea I had for an on-line publication.

There were several criteria I had for what should be higher on the wish
list (ie, where we would most appreciate the POV teams' efforts).  These
are:

1.  General demand.  If only two people want something, then the POV-team
would be wasting their time.  If everyone wants it, then that's a different
story.

2.  Difficulty of the work-around:  If a ten-line .inc file can do the job,
then there's no need for the POV team to spend a few weeks hacking code.
On the other hand, mapping an image_map onto a Bezier curve (which could be
done in an .inc file, but with lots and lots of work), is a better
candidate.

3.  Ease of implementation:  Sweeping a fourth-dimensional curve along a
cubic spline would involve either lots of triangles or lots of root
crunching; neither are plesasnt.  If you don't have the faintest idea how
a feature would be implemented, then that's a good sign that it's too
complicated.

Anyway, the following are in the running:

* a function that returns the size (in POV units) of a given ttf object
(high demand; work-around is by extensive trial and error; should be
trivial to implement)

* a function that delivers the elevation of a given point in a height
field (moderate demand; work-around involves extensive trial and error;
should be easy to implement)

* smoothly connecting spheres (moderate demand; work-around involves
good analytical geometry skills or the CTDS utility; should be easy to
implement)

* spherical and cylindrical height fields.  (High demand; work-around
involves utility software; should be no more difficult than the planar
height_field)

* NURBS (moderate demand; work-around requires third-party utility to
devolve NURB into triangle mesh; moderate to high implementation
difficulty)

--
"The existential root of Libertarianism is the experience of being very
bad at taking orders from morons."--Leopold Leider.

2. New Web Site For Online Negative And Slide Output From Your Digital Files!!!!!

3. RM: Standards, Options, wish-list ...?

4. Wanted: Beginner C++ Graphic Books

5. 3-D widget wish list?

6. Representing a Catmull-Rom spline using NURBs ....

7. Hello Deneba: Canvas 7 wish list !!!!!

8. How can I display an animated gif on a vb form?

9. Send Me Clip Art Wish Lists

10. StrataStudio Pro wish-list - your comments wanted

11. The New Internet Graphic Format - A WISH LIST =)

12. Wish List for new computer hardware? (Windows)