Inside LW5.5 - Cloning bone tutorial - the missing bits

Inside LW5.5 - Cloning bone tutorial - the missing bits

Post by ColKa » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Y'all
Found my description of the "missing bits" for the cloning bone tutorial
in Dan Ablans Inside LW5.5
So here it is.......

Okay - as an update to my previous post, I've done this in a bit more
detail, a couple
of items were missing. I'll also dumb it down a bit - not that I think
you're all dim
<g> - just It *is* a confusing thing the first time. I got a scene from
Mr Ablan
himself - it still took a couple of stabs to get it right.  Okay - orft
we go...

Set your content to be the area containing the CD files from the book
"Inside
LightWave 5.5" by our good friend Dan Ablan.

Load the "TempEye" scene from Ch13 sub-dir of the InsideLW5.5 cd.
The jellybean is the active object - Choose 'B' for bones, downarrow
twice to select
the 'ChestBone'
 - Hit Enter twice to keyframe it at frame zero, then make the same
keyframe at frame
30, (press Enter, type 30, hit enter again).
Now, select 'rotate' from the mouse menu, 'n' for numeric, enter -25 in
heading, 45 in
pitch and 0 in bank, press Enter.
Make a keframe for these values at frame 15.

(IMPORTANT - it is vital that you set all motion / twists etc for the
jellybean using
bones *before* you clone the object).

Go into the Objects panel, select "clone object" and press Enter to
accept a single
clone, (we'll stick to 1 eye for now - Cyclops rule ok! <g>).

Select JellyBean(2) as the current object - then select "replace object"
and choose
the eyeball object fro mthe Ch13 sub-dir, close the objects panel.
Your eye object will load in the lower part of the jellybean.

Okay - select the Eye as the current object in the main layout window (
'O' for
objects and it should be the current item).
Press 'B' for bones go into the skeleton panel (p) and deactivate all
bones for this
object.
Press 'O' for objects, choose 'move' from the mouse menu, 'n' for
numeric
Put X/Y/Z values of -6cm, 6m, -1m respectively and make a keyframe for
the eye object
at this location.
Now 'B' for bones - ChestBone should be you're current bone - if it
isn't, select it.
Move the chest bone so it overlays the chestbone of the jellybean
object, (X/Y/Z
values of 7cm, -98cm, -1.54m respectively).
Activate the bone ('r') but *DO NOT* make a keyframe for it!

Press 'O' for objects
Set X/Y/Z for the EYE object as 0,3.45m,0 and make a keyframe at zero
for the eye
object.
Now press RightArrow / LeftArrow to update the view - the eye object
will hop into
it's correct place.

The eye will now track the jellybean object - note though, any changes
you make to the
jellybean bones motion will not be matched by the eye - you will have to
clear the eye
and re-clone the jellybean as above.

I performed these steps in LW as I typed this out - so there should be
no problems, if
there is - e-mail me privately.
Anyways, hope this clears stuff up,  ...good luck!
-Colkai

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colkai

[...]

1. Inside Lightwave 3D - Cloning Bone Tutorial Help

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting this tutorial to work properly, maybe
someone out there has some insight. Basically,  the tutorial is
demonstrating how to use a set of cloned bone to make and eye object
follow the main object. At one point you clone the main object and
then replace it with the eye object so that you can use the set of
cloned bones to control the eye object. The trouble is that the eye
object is center at 0,0,0 and needs to be moved to the correct
position on the main object. The tutorial has you deactivate the bones
in the eye object and then move it into the correct position. I assume
that this is supposed to leave the bones in there current positions.
Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case. The bones follow
the eye object.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong here? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
        Al

2. Ray Tracing with trueSpace

3. Inside LW7 Bone tutorial error?

4. French PoWer !

5. missing arm_lowpoly object for L7 bones tutorial

6. Image difference utility?

7. Good Bones + Bones PRO tutorial.

8. Evil Josh, help with Hotline type thing

9. 32 bits image or 8 bits with a 32 bits palette

10. Question about the clone tool: see inside

11. Question about the clone tool revised--see inside

12. cloning bones system