Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by anch » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:18:06

I'm getting started in Lightwave and am trying to make
the adjustment after using various nonlinear editing
software. Please forgive me if my general approach is confused.

My question is this: if you have a large set of objects, characters,
etc. that you want to incorporate into an animated sequence, but
don't want them all to be visible all the time, what is the
general approach? Do you have to move them off camera or can
you somehow deactivate/reactivate them?

I'm used to software like Flash, where you have a library of
objects that don't become visible until you create an instance
of them in the scene. I can't seem to find this sort of
functionality in Lightwave's Layout.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by Ctrl+Alt+De » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:34:30

first of all, LW is far from flash, do not comapare the two or you will find
yourself being completely fustrated when things dont work the way you THINK
they should work.  just start from a fresh perspective and try not expect
certain things and you will learn fast.

as for your problem, what you want is "Dissolve".  read up on it in the
manual.  good luck.

                -Ctrl

Quote:> I'm getting started in Lightwave and am trying to make
> the adjustment after using various nonlinear editing
> software. Please forgive me if my general approach is confused.

> My question is this: if you have a large set of objects, characters,
> etc. that you want to incorporate into an animated sequence, but
> don't want them all to be visible all the time, what is the
> general approach? Do you have to move them off camera or can
> you somehow deactivate/reactivate them?

> I'm used to software like Flash, where you have a library of
> objects that don't become visible until you create an instance
> of them in the scene. I can't seem to find this sort of
> functionality in Lightwave's Layout.

> Any advice is much appreciated.

> Thanks.

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by Tony Gilchris » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:37:35

Or, if you want them to be visible in the render, but not in the viewports,
set their render visibility (usually do this in the Scene Editor, myself).
Again, RTM for more details.

> first of all, LW is far from flash, do not comapare the two or you will
find
> yourself being completely fustrated when things dont work the way you
THINK
> they should work.  just start from a fresh perspective and try not expect
> certain things and you will learn fast.

> as for your problem, what you want is "Dissolve".  read up on it in the
> manual.  good luck.

>                 -Ctrl

> > I'm getting started in Lightwave and am trying to make
> > the adjustment after using various nonlinear editing
> > software. Please forgive me if my general approach is confused.

> > My question is this: if you have a large set of objects, characters,
> > etc. that you want to incorporate into an animated sequence, but
> > don't want them all to be visible all the time, what is the
> > general approach? Do you have to move them off camera or can
> > you somehow deactivate/reactivate them?

> > I'm used to software like Flash, where you have a library of
> > objects that don't become visible until you create an instance
> > of them in the scene. I can't seem to find this sort of
> > functionality in Lightwave's Layout.

> > Any advice is much appreciated.

> > Thanks.

---

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by anch » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:23:42

Thanks.

I did try setting dissolve to 100%.
My problem is this: I'm designing some models
which will be exported and viewed in a Java applet on mobile
phones. The API for the phones doesn't support dissolve.
Things get rendered even when set to dissolve 100%.

So now I'm trying an approach where I move things out of
camera sight, then moving them in when I need to show them.
Would you say this is my best bet?

Much appreciated.

> Or, if you want them to be visible in the render, but not in the viewports,
> set their render visibility (usually do this in the Scene Editor, myself).
> Again, RTM for more details.

> > first of all, LW is far from flash, do not comapare the two or you will
>  find
> > yourself being completely fustrated when things dont work the way you
>  THINK
> > they should work.  just start from a fresh perspective and try not expect
> > certain things and you will learn fast.

> > as for your problem, what you want is "Dissolve".  read up on it in the
> > manual.  good luck.

> >                 -Ctrl

> > > I'm getting started in Lightwave and am trying to make
> > > the adjustment after using various nonlinear editing
> > > software. Please forgive me if my general approach is confused.

> > > My question is this: if you have a large set of objects, characters,
> > > etc. that you want to incorporate into an animated sequence, but
> > > don't want them all to be visible all the time, what is the
> > > general approach? Do you have to move them off camera or can
> > > you somehow deactivate/reactivate them?

> > > I'm used to software like Flash, where you have a library of
> > > objects that don't become visible until you create an instance
> > > of them in the scene. I can't seem to find this sort of
> > > functionality in Lightwave's Layout.

> > > Any advice is much appreciated.

> > > Thanks.

> ---

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by Chris Brizo » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:03:35

just dissolve the objects you don't want seen (which you can animate with an
envelope) or switch them off from the camera view, or from receiving rays

--

Sincerely

Chris Brizon
Managing Director: Hades Animation Studios
www.hades-studios.com

(remove "yourinhibitions" to reply)
--

Quote:> I'm getting started in Lightwave and am trying to make
> the adjustment after using various nonlinear editing
> software. Please forgive me if my general approach is confused.

> My question is this: if you have a large set of objects, characters,
> etc. that you want to incorporate into an animated sequence, but
> don't want them all to be visible all the time, what is the
> general approach? Do you have to move them off camera or can
> you somehow deactivate/reactivate them?

> I'm used to software like Flash, where you have a library of
> objects that don't become visible until you create an instance
> of them in the scene. I can't seem to find this sort of
> functionality in Lightwave's Layout.

> Any advice is much appreciated.

> Thanks.

Making items appear/disappear in Lightwave 7

Post by Tesselato » Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:58:43

Free Dynamic Parenting:

    Null.pos(Time).Y > 0 ? HideAwayNull.wpos(Time) ; Value

Post by Nick Hatzichristo » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:06:24

Free Dynamic Parenting:

    Null.pos(Time).Y > 0 ? HideAwayNull.wpos(Time) ; Value

...only the " ; " should be " : " if I 'm not mistaken...

gotc... nah, I won't start this again, hehe : P

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
VFX Animator

http://users.otenet.gr/~nixx

Post by Tesselato » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 05:16:42

> Free Dynamic Parenting:

>     Null.pos(Time).Y > 0 ? HideAwayNull.wpos(Time) ; Value

> ...only the " ; " should be " : " if I 'm not mistaken...

> gotc... nah, I won't start this again, hehe : P

> nick

Oops!  Damn!  You realize this means wa...   Oh we're not going
there?   Bummer Dood!

                        O :-)

--
Null.pos(Time).Y > 0 ? HideAwayNull.wpos(Time) : Value

1. objects appearing and disappearing

hi
one thing that has always puzzled me in max is how to make objects appear or
disappear from the scene. Say you want to laser blasts to fire from a
spaceship halfway through a shot - what's the best way to do something like
this?
hope this makes sense
D.

2. Cropping problem in PS 7

3. text which appears and disappears (magic!)

4. CoolIF imaging standard GIMP plug-in

5. Canvas 5 and disappearing menu items

6. Printer Descriptions

7. Help making ink appear as a pen moves

8. Blending makes the edges appear..

9. Making objects appear and dissappear

10. making sure printed items spool

11. PS 5 makes my mouse disappear

12. TaskBar autohide makes button images disappear