Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Gavin Scarma » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
great for character modelling and animation.

My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

Any other thoughts on how good or bad it is?

WEB -> http://www.satech.net.au/~scarman

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Jeff Jaspe » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
> great for character modelling and animation.

> My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
> games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

> Any other thoughts on how good or bad it is?

It is probably one of the best character animation tools out there, and
at
$199($150 something in some mags) you can't beat it. It HIGHLY recommend
this tool. They had a great showing at SIGGRAPH and I saw many people
purchasing their software based on what they sawe during the demos,
including
myself.  No, I don't work for Hash and as many people know I am a tried
and
true user of 3DS and MAX, But Hash is a great tool for character
animation.

Jeff

Post by David Oxl » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
>great for character modelling and animation.

http://www.hash.com/

Current version is 4.03 PC/4.04 Mac.  Many users, me included, experience
frequent crashes.  It's good-ish value for $200.  You can download an
Acrobat (PDF) format manual, though they don't provide a printed one.
I've been put off  MH3DA because I know that invariably anything I try to
texture or manipulate is going to cause the thing to crash.  Sometimes it
doesn't even give Dr Watson (NT) a chance to catch the crash ... it just
goes *poof*.

For character animation, you create the whole character out of splines in
the Sculpture module (limited toolset, some people like this, I'd prefer
more tools).  Then you have to split it up into separate segments like
left calf, right calf, left thigh, etc.  Then you go into the Character
module and re-add all the segments hierarchically.  Then you skin the
segments together.  Then you set the IK constraints.  Then you can animate
your figure, giving it actions to perform, one after another and/or at the
same time.  You can define muscle motion for lip-synching and eye blinking
etc.

Oh, rendering (ray tracing) is very slow.  You also have scan-line which
is faster but won't render certain textures.  The new blobby particle
textures crash the program a lot.  No lens flares yet.  Motion blur and
depth of field are only in the $700 version.  The amount of crashes and
bugs reported on the mailing list suggests to me that v4 could do with
more testing.

This doesn't stop people like Rod Altschul from producing truly amazing
animations with the program (see
http://www.primenet.com/~merod/SynActor.html ).  There are tutorials from
Hash and users on the web.  I prefer to spend my limited time more
productively with LW, though I keep on trying each new Hash version as it
hits their ftp site in the quest for stability.  One day ... may be one
day ...

My humble 2p.

Regards,

|David Oxley, Logica UK|SH1/DS 75 Hampstead Rd|+44 171 4461800(tel)|

`----------------------^----------------------^--------------------'
All opinions expressed are mine not Logica's. http://www.logica.com/

Post by Nate Haye » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
> great for character modelling and animation.

> My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
> games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

> Any other thoughts on how good or bad it is?

> --

> WEB -> http://www.satech.net.au/~scarman

This month's issue of "DV" magazine has an extensive review on Martin
Hash Animation by animator George Maestri (sp?).

Nate hayes

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Mark Dunak » Tue, 13 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Can you use this *Martin Hash* motion for importing into Light Wave? And if
so, how is it implimented?...........thanx md :)

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Jimmy McKinne » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Make certain everyone is clear on which one is being discussed.

MH's 3d animation is the $199 base version
MH's Animation Master is ~ $699 i think, and has more stuff in it.

Jimmy McKinney

Post by onsit » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
> great for character modelling and animation.

> My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
> games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

> Any other thoughts on how good or bad it is?
> Well, I think you get what you pay for.  Although it has amazing tools

for character animation i.e.(i.k.), it lacks many tools that many people
would find helpful.  The modeling is really weak in the way it is
implemented.  Don't count on having the program make you life easier.  I
still find many things much easier in lightwave.  If lightwave and hash
could come together not that might be worth something.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
                Director of Animation: Glenn Welker
On/Site Production Packages             419.872.1222    Voice
312.5 Louisiana Ave.                    419.872.0670    Fax
Perrysburg OH. 43551                    http://www.onsite-prod.com
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Post by Nate Haye » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Oh, rendering (ray tracing) is very slow.  You also have scan-line which
> is faster but won't render certain textures.  The new blobby particle
> textures crash the program a lot.  No lens flares yet.  Motion blur and
> depth of field are only in the $700 version.  The amount of crashes and
> bugs reported on the mailing list suggests to me that v4 could do with
> more testing.

The $199 version does particles? I didn't think so.

Nate

Post by Sa » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>> Oh, rendering (ray tracing) is very slow.  You also have scan-line which
>> is faster but won't render certain textures.  The new blobby particle
>> textures crash the program a lot.  No lens flares yet.  Motion blur and
>> depth of field are only in the $700 version.  The amount of crashes and
>> bugs reported on the mailing list suggests to me that v4 could do with
>> more testing.
>The $199 version does particles? I didn't think so.
>Nate

Yes, the $199 version does particles even though the manual says it
shouldn't

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Jvedit » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

We just published a buyer's guide of professional 3D animation packages in
our new magazine, NT Studio. In the article, Hash was compared to
Softimage, 3DSMAX, Lightwave and Lightscape. Our reviewer was impressed
with the character animation for such an inexpensive product (compared to
Softimage or 3DSMax). The cover date is August/September 1996. Contact

Hope this helps,
Jeff Bolkan - Managing Editor, PC Graphics & Video/NT Studio

Post by Ben Cool » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
> great for character modelling and animation.

> My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
> games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

Yeah, we did most of the characters for TOTAL MAYHEM in Hash's Animation
Master.  The main character was the most difficult, but the Animator was able
to get an extremely precise model of this character in about two or three
weeks.

Once you get the hang of the spline based modeling system, it becomes
relatively easy to build free form complex 3D organic models.  Since the there
are very few control points for a well made spline model, it also is
relatively easy to tweak the model exactly how you want it.

Ben Cooley
CINEMATIX

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Jeff Jaspe » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> The $199 version does particles? I didn't think so.

Yup, it has particles, blobby particles, collision detection, and
dynamics.

Jeff

Post by Charles LonerSa » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> > The $199 version does particles? I didn't think so.

> Yup, it has particles, blobby particles, collision detection, and
> dynamics.

> Jeff

No, only the Animation Master version has it. The normal 199 bucks
version has nothing mentioned above.

LSam
It was not me who admit defeat, it was only God's will.

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Ray Mill » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

You are not current.  With 4.03 MHA includes those features.
Check the Web site and download an upgrade.

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996 13:48:36 -0700, Charles LonerSam

>> > The $199 version does particles? I didn't think so.

>> Yup, it has particles, blobby particles, collision detection, and
>> dynamics.

>> Jeff

>No, only the Animation Master version has it. The normal 199 bucks
>version has nothing mentioned above.

>LSam
>--
>It was not me who admit defeat, it was only God's will.

Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

Post by Bob Benso » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

no, it does not have particles and dynamics, that is the $700 version
 (which also has distributed rendering)

1. Martin Hash Animation - reviews please

I've come across this program on the web and if you believe them it's
great for character modelling and animation.

My particular need is for creating animated characters for computer
games. Has anyone used it succesfully for this or a similar purpose?

Any other thoughts on how good or bad it is?

WEB -> http://www.satech.net.au/~scarman

2. VESA code/doc's anyone?

3. Saving layers as separate images (jpg or gif)...??

4. Martin Hash Animation Master - reviews please

6. TVR Cerbera New Project wheel.

7. Martin Hash's Animation Master -vs- Hash's 3D

8. Martin Hash's 3D Animation or Animation Master

9. Martin Hash's 3D Animation (MAC)

10. Martin Hash's 3D Animation