All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Revant » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:27:48

Quote:> An integrated app is for sure the solution.
> This is funny how people are asking for integrated solutions in sepparated
> apps.
> Anyway i agree with you on this one but i say "integrate" !
> :)

Personally, I think there should be a third app which is integrated so that
you can decide whether you want to work that way or not. Sometimes I'm in
the mood for separate apps and sometimes I prefer integrated (especially for
smart skin endomorphing.)

Revanto

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Revant » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:29:14

Con: Too many commands in the one app.

Pro: Smart Skin endomorphing easier

Revanto

> This is one of those funny things.

> Lemme ask here for a consensus.

> Those that don't want LightWave merged into one application -- is the
reason
> that you don't want this, because you would feel that a natural assumption
> would then be that the scenefile and object file would be merged as well?

> I'd just like to get a feeling from the community, give me Pros and Cons
of
> merging the application.

> ~~Deuce
> LWBeta Coordinator
> NewTek

> > Amen brother.
> > I just hope they understood this time.... and hope they dont'listen to
> > nostalgic people who want to stick to the present status.

> > Paolo Zambrini

> > > An integrated app is for sure the solution.
> > > This is funny how people are asking for integrated solutions in
> sepparated
> > > apps.
> > > Anyway i agree with you on this one but i say "integrate" !

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Deuc » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:24:28

That's it??

One con and one pro?

Sheesh.  ;-)

~~Deuce
NewTek

> Con: Too many commands in the one app.

> Pro: Smart Skin endomorphing easier

> Revanto

> > This is one of those funny things.

> > Lemme ask here for a consensus.

> > Those that don't want LightWave merged into one application -- is the
> reason
> > that you don't want this, because you would feel that a natural
assumption
> > would then be that the scenefile and object file would be merged as
well?

> > I'd just like to get a feeling from the community, give me Pros and Cons
> of
> > merging the application.

> > ~~Deuce
> > LWBeta Coordinator
> > NewTek

> > > Amen brother.
> > > I just hope they understood this time.... and hope they dont'listen to
> > > nostalgic people who want to stick to the present status.

> > > Paolo Zambrini

> > sepparated

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by js33 » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:46:33

It's weird how almost everyone wants integrated apps now.
I remember back in the 5.6 days how almost everyone
passionatly DID NOT want integrated apps.
Personally I see the advantages of integrated apps such
as animated modeling operations, better integrated plugin
support, no hub, more seamless environment
so I'm not against it but if they decide not to integrate them
it won't be a showstopper either.

Cheers,
JS

Quote:> hi,

> > As far as i'm concerned i know that if liwghtwave 8 keeps separated apps
> > immediately leave it for Maya because it will be the sign of the
beginning
> > of it's end and i dont need to fight with my tools, i need
> future-oriented,
> > quick and efficient ones.

> I said this again but it's never enough... i'm on the same *leaving*
shore,
> Newtek.
> With many, many many other people.
> Don't miss target this time.

> Paolo Zambrini

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Colin Kai Heap » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 19:34:38

The way I was thinking of is like a link to various type of
configuaration
files.
At present, you can build a desktop shortcut to run the hub, or not. You
can
use a default scene, or not. Specify a given location for you config
files, or
use the default.
So I figure, why not use a config file to determine what toolsets /
interface
are setup?  We use a database 4GL system at work, which, depending on
the
config file, determines what version and what data is used.

So like
LWAVE.EXE -oLay -Mycolr1                <<- Run in "layout mode"
LWAVE.EXE -oMod -LWColr         <<- Run in "Modeller Mode"
LWAVE.EXE                                               <<- Run default
'full' integrated setup.

Each config file would hold pointers to neccesary plugins etc, just like
they
do now.
At present, there really isn't anything to stop you have ZIP files of
various
configurations, each with given plugins and looks set up. Then you just
unzip
the one you want to use. Of course, I'm not saying there is any point at
present in doing this, but it *could* be done. ;-)

-Colkai

>I cannot understand you here - imho this way means having 2 different
apps,
>one in the current way (2 separated modules), and another completely
>different with a merged environment (and maybe different sub-tabs). Can
you
>explain your idea a little in depth?

>Bye
>Paolo Zambrini

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Brizo » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:08:40

well the reason, for me atleast. Is back in those days I couldn't hope to
have afforded Softimage or Maya and seen how an intergrated app works when
its done properly.. so I didn't have a frame of reference other than LW's
split apps or things like Imagine 3D Studio. Now things are different, and I
can see the many advantages to intergrating it

> It's weird how almost everyone wants integrated apps now.
> I remember back in the 5.6 days how almost everyone
> passionatly DID NOT want integrated apps.
> Personally I see the advantages of integrated apps such
> as animated modeling operations, better integrated plugin
> support, no hub, more seamless environment
> so I'm not against it but if they decide not to integrate them
> it won't be a showstopper either.

> Cheers,
> JS

> > hi,

> > > As far as i'm concerned i know that if liwghtwave 8 keeps separated
apps
> > > immediately leave it for Maya because it will be the sign of the
> beginning
> > > of it's end and i dont need to fight with my tools, i need
> > future-oriented,
> > > quick and efficient ones.

> > I said this again but it's never enough... i'm on the same *leaving*
> shore,
> > Newtek.
> > With many, many many other people.
> > Don't miss target this time.

> > Paolo Zambrini

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by David McCal » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 01:16:47

> It's weird how almost everyone wants integrated apps now.
> I remember back in the 5.6 days how almost everyone
> passionatly DID NOT want integrated apps.
> Personally I see the advantages of integrated apps such
> as animated modeling operations, better integrated plugin
> support, no hub, more seamless environment
> so I'm not against it but if they decide not to integrate them
> it won't be a showstopper either.

I understand that there are major issues with the hub, but is it
so useless that it needs to be eliminated all together?

David

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Colin Kai Heap » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 01:52:10

Damn! - I really *must* check the header line before replying ;-)

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by js33 » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:43:31

Hi David,

Well I personally have no problem with the hub.
I never even notice it which is the way it should be.
Apparently Mac users seem to have more problems
with the Hub and LW in general.

Cheers,
JS

Quote:> > It's weird how almost everyone wants integrated apps now.
> > I remember back in the 5.6 days how almost everyone
> > passionatly DID NOT want integrated apps.
> > Personally I see the advantages of integrated apps such
> > as animated modeling operations, better integrated plugin
> > support, no hub, more seamless environment
> > so I'm not against it but if they decide not to integrate them
> > it won't be a showstopper either.

> I understand that there are major issues with the hub, but is it
> so useless that it needs to be eliminated all together?

> David

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by js33 » Tue, 04 Feb 2003 16:47:12

Hi Chris,

I remember trying out Max 2.5 several years ago.
It was an integrated app then and I remember
going where is the Fu*&ing modeler. hehehe
I couldn't get used to it since I was so used to
the LW way so I never tried another version
of Max and never looked back.
But if LW was integrated it would be no problem
since I am familiar with the toolset.

Cheers,
JS

> well the reason, for me atleast. Is back in those days I couldn't hope to
> have afforded Softimage or Maya and seen how an intergrated app works when
> its done properly.. so I didn't have a frame of reference other than LW's
> split apps or things like Imagine 3D Studio. Now things are different, and
> can see the many advantages to intergrating it

> > It's weird how almost everyone wants integrated apps now.
> > I remember back in the 5.6 days how almost everyone
> > passionatly DID NOT want integrated apps.
> > Personally I see the advantages of integrated apps such
> > as animated modeling operations, better integrated plugin
> > support, no hub, more seamless environment
> > so I'm not against it but if they decide not to integrate them
> > it won't be a showstopper either.

> > Cheers,
> > JS

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Deuc » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 03:31:02

That's my job!

~~Deuce
NewTek

Quote:> It would be nice if someone in contact with Newtek (Deuce followes this