All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:19:12

> Yeah, remember that! Looked promising, but i never used it more than to
> watch it's demos!

> OTOH, I did a lot of script programming in Director! Around 1989 there was
> little else we could do! :-)

What was that guys name....  Something Schwarts who did all those cool
Amiga Director cartoons.  I wonder if he's still doing them these days?

I saw some of his strips about 4 years ago but I donno if he ever
found a PC app he liked for his animations.   Are there any yet I
wonder?

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Recanto » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:23:26

> > ">
> > > Yup!  Great systems!  I sold, installed, and setup nearly 100 of them.
> > > Operated one myself for a very ling time.  Soo sweet!

> > > -overheating pieces of convoluted *that was a pain to keep working
> > > and 8 of 10 wouldn't run with the cover on.

> > >Yup!  That's what I mean!

> > -uh huh...just a bad design.

> >Hehehe, We're gonna have to give you a new handle:  "Dave Snippy Adams" ?

> ----Ya gotta admit, it was a perfect setup for an 'out of context" quote!
> (:-D

> I have a new nick for you...."Tesselator; The Recantor"
> Heh.

Hey I like it!

                O :-)

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Fernando Martin » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:00:10

That was Director? I thought they we plain animations. Well, the guy's name
was Eric Schwartz, I think. They were really great and funny. Later he did
the SuperFrog intro animations.

I found something here http://rigby-jones.net/ericschwartz/ but there is
more for sure.
--
Fernando Martins
  ___                  www.isisds.com

What was that guys name....  Something Schwarts who did all those cool
Amiga Director cartoons.  I wonder if he's still doing them these days?

I saw some of his strips about 4 years ago but I donno if he ever
found a PC app he liked for his animations.   Are there any yet I
wonder?

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Dave Adam » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:21:59

Quote:> HA HA HA, DTV, a wannabe TBC. Couldn't even do what pro systems had been
> doing for 7-10 years . That's your idea of "ahead"? That lousy Ham mode
> paint?
> The wacked out pixels DTV would*up and make you regrab?

That's DCTV anyway.  My statement was DTV:  Desk Top Video.

        Not a device of any kind.

But you knew that in the first place right?

-No, actually I was thinking you meant DCTV. My error there.
I apologize for not reading more carefully.
It seemed harebrained enough to fit your initial wild claims. (:-D
When this thread first got going I didn't see any qualifiers
that limited the discussion to desktop systems, just a wide
claim that Amiga had no equals in paint, editing...etc.
I was a big Amiga user in it's heyday, I had 7 of them in
my home office ,  I repaired and configured them for a living,
but I'm not kidding myself enough to think I'd ever go back, let
alone throw a bunch of PCs out a 5 story window or any similar
nostalgia driven hyperbole.
Just the thought of the old Amiga monitor refresh rates gives me the
willies. (yeah yeah, you'll have some pithy comment like "Flicker Fixer
blah blah blah" ha ha ha)

Your fond remembrance of the Amigas and what they offered for the cost at
the time
is understandable, but I do think you went a little overboard.  (:-D

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:08:11

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:00:10 +0100, "Fernando Martins"

> >That was Director? I thought they we plain animations. Well, the guy's name
> >was Eric Schwartz, I think. They were really great and funny. Later he did
> >the SuperFrog intro animations.

> No, Schwartz used the animation function of DPaint.

> The Director animations like the mars lander with teh alien skull was
> doen by someone else.

Nope.  Sorry.  I still have all of them.  I look them up tomarrow just
to make sure but I know for sure it wasn't DPaint and I'm like 80% sure
it was Amiga Director...

OOps!  I just did an online search  We're all wrong.  It was Moviesetter.

Here's some interesting excerpts:

One of the popular destinations on Jumpgate is the daily comics page featuring the complete collection of Sabrina Online, presented as a daily comic strip.

Eric Schwartz is a well-known cartoonist from his creations in illustration and animation of Amy the squirrel, Sabrina, the Aerotoons animations, and many others. His animations (many in Moviesetter format) are used to this day to demonstrate the power of the classic Amiga OS and hardware.

We thought it would be interesting to interview Eric and see what he had to say; below is a transcript of an email interview conducted from September 25, and Oct 29th, 2001.

Jumpgate :
      CU:  Tell us how you put together a typical Amiga animation.

      ES:  My process for creating animations has changed over time, but it all starts out with an Idea, which is refined into a number of layout drawings and a rough storyboard to decide how the animation work itself will be done. Then the animation drawing commences, usually with the Disney Animation Studio software. I've done the actual drawing work several ways over the years, from drawing directly with the mouse to using a pen tablet or even drawing on the monitor and attempting to trace it. Nowadays I usually do all the drawing on punched paper and scanning the drawings. Once the line drawings are in the Amiga, I'll colour them with a paint package like Dpaint, Brilliance, or Personal Paint. If, like most of my work, it's a Moviesetter anim, I'll break the anims up into separate images and feed them into Moviesetter to create the animbrush-like 'sets'. The sets and background images are put together with sounds in Moviesetter to create a finished animation. Moviesetter is an old piece of software, but there's currently nothing else with its capacity for efficient hobbyist animation.

      CU:  Have you ever dabbled in 3D and if so how does it compare to drawing in 2D?

      ES:  I view 3D as just another tool, similar to the way many animation studios use 3D so they don't have to produce difficult drawings of vehicles and inanimate objects to use in 2D animation. I tend to prefer the look and freedom offered by 2D animation. for example it's possible to create images in 2D that are impossible to recreate in 3D, because a three-dimensional object has limits.

      CU:  Now the technology is upon us to create 3D models, and from those the animations, which look exactly as if they were drawn in the traditional 2D manner, what are the chances in the future of you creating your cartoons entirely in 3D?

      ES:  I tend to prefer the inherent freedom of 2D animation, but anything is possible. Currently, I don't have the skills in Lightwave to produce good character animation, but I may try in the future to produce some experimental 3D works.

      CU:  Will you be with the Amiga right till the end and where do you think the machine is headed?

      ES:  I plan to remain with the Amiga until my needs outgrow what it can provide. I have 'outgrown' a number of systems, but rarely have I run into a situation where I couldn't get by, and never have I hit a problem that required a PC or Macintosh to solve. I have gone from an A500 to A2000 to A1200 to A4000T (with CD-ROM, Jaz drive, Vlab Motion, *Vision 64, 18 megs RAM and 3 gig of storage), and I look forward to expanding into PowerPC or whatever becomes the base for an Amiga future. It's too early now to tell what the future holds, but one benefit is that the Amiga's owners (Gateway 2000, now) are not the only force for the platform's development, so you have the option to pick the future that suits you best. Unfortunately, this is also a cost in that too much division between Phase V, PIOS, ProDAD, and Amiga Proper, can easily result in dividing up an already small market into several that can't possibly stand alone. I would hope everyone is smart enough not to compete their way to becoming boss of nothing.

Sabrina Online comic books, t-shirts and other materials are available through mail order directly from the ES Productions website (there are online catalogs available). The comic books are also available from the United Publications website - just do a search for Sabrina Online.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Chris Brizo » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:31:29

clients got spoiled back then cause of the Amiga

these days were suffering for it and their wanting higher and higher
resolutions. If only we'd kept quiet about how good the Amiga was, we might
all be producing 320x240 animations now and saving a ton of cash on hardware

damn us

--

Sincerely,
Chris Brizon

> =8) it was rock solid! but once it went to the pc it lost a lot of it's
edge
> as far as i'm concerned because the pc just could not throw the info
around
> as fast as the amiga, or rather, the perceived speed as the pc needed a
> higher res screen to display whereas you could run an amiga an imationat
320
> x 256 on a tv monitor and the pixelation just wouldn't show! and as far as
> client was concerned, they had full-screen animation in 1994 on a budget
> machine =8)

> Yup!  So this is yet another Amiga "first".  Tho maybe undoccumented??
> I remember creating a training facility for a Japanese Co. here based
> off LaserDisc control with Scala.  It was fun.  Everything worked well.

>                                                                         :)

> > it's called infochannel probably because infochannel was the big brother
> of
> > scala that was used in many information displays. the NEC in birmingham,
> UK,
> > used infochannel to display adverts and public information, but the
> > controller could update many scala systems ny changing the play scripts
> from
> > a distance. a very advanced system back then! i believe several
mcdonalds
> > and granada service stations also used the same sytem in the uk. scala
was
> > untouchable when we started to use it (in terms of price and
performance).

> > dunk

> > > Oh, yes, that's it! I thought it was iPlay but is just for playing
> content
> > > or something.

> > > --
> > > Fernando Martins
> > >   ___                  www.isisds.com
> > >  /__  /|/|    3D Animation and Special Effects

> > > And the scala thing on PC is called Infochannel Designer or something:

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Chris Brizo » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:32:39

he used that Amiga Disney Animation program to do those, it was a bit
backwards in use, I never liked it. But his (Eric's) animations were funny

--

Sincerely,
Chris Brizon
www.hades-studios.com
(remove "yourinhibitions" to reply)
--

Quote:> Yeah, remember that! Looked promising, but i never used it more than to

Post by Tesselato » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:38:35

> > HA HA HA, DTV, a wannabe TBC. Couldn't even do what pro systems had been
> > doing for 7-10 years . That's your idea of "ahead"? That lousy Ham mode
> > paint?
> > The wacked out pixels DTV would*up and make you regrab?

> That's DCTV anyway.  My statement was DTV:  Desk Top Video.

>         Not a device of any kind.

> But you knew that in the first place right?

> -No, actually I was thinking you meant DCTV. My error there.
> I apologize for not reading more carefully.
> It seemed harebrained enough to fit your initial wild claims. (:-D
> When this thread first got going I didn't see any qualifiers
> that limited the discussion to desktop systems, just a wide
> claim that Amiga had no equals in paint, editing...etc.
> I was a big Amiga user in it's heyday, I had 7 of them in
> my home office ,  I repaired and configured them for a living,
> but I'm not kidding myself enough to think I'd ever go back, let
> alone throw a bunch of PCs out a 5 story window or any similar
> nostalgia driven hyperbole.
> Just the thought of the old Amiga monitor refresh rates gives me the
> willies. (yeah yeah, you'll have some pithy comment like "Flicker Fixer
> blah blah blah" ha ha ha)

> Your fond remembrance of the Amigas and what they offered for the cost at
> the time
> is understandable, but I do think you went a little overboard.  (:-D

That's acceptable.  I probably did.   I had fun though.   O :-)

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tonto » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:09:21

WTF ?

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:31:37

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:08:11 +0900, "Tesselator"

> >> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:00:10 +0100, "Fernando Martins"

> >> No, Schwartz used the animation function of DPaint.

> >> The Director animations like the mars lander with teh alien skull was
> >> doen by someone else.

> >Nope.  Sorry.  I still have all of them.  I look them up tomarrow just
> >to make sure but I know for sure it wasn't DPaint and I'm like 80% sure
> >it was Amiga Director...

> >OOps!  I just did an online search  We're all wrong.  It was Moviesetter.

> Actually send Eric an e-mail and ask him. He was using the animation
> functions in DPaint before Disney studio came out.

> I know I used to demo them.

Well I supose he used whatever (probably DPaint) to actually create the
BGs, Clips, and etc. but he almost always scripted them in MovieSetter.

Just as he said in that CU Interview.

I got each of his works as he created them or within the month and I
don't think I ever saw a straight "anim" file from him.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Twiligh » Tue, 28 May 2002 19:43:09

Quote:> the Just and good tess and twilight ????????

> i think you should read the whole thread

Ownage 7  Dumass 0

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Neil Mac » Tue, 28 May 2002 18:51:40

oh dear me

"didnt they need to have their bacon saved from germany" ????????

"if it werent for america you twits would be speaking nazi german "
?????????????

oh dear oh dear

i think in one post you have managed to make a complete fool out of
yourself..
fortunatley i hope that your twisted opinions do not represent the majority
of people
from america.

its quite sickening to think that you actually thought about what you wrote
before your sent that post.

Quote:> > well i am proud to say that i know very little american actually.
> > i prefer to use english
> > from england.

> Oooooooh.. god knows england is more important in the world than
america...
> can you say "sarcasm?"

> Once they got the imperialism kicked out of them, the country really
doesn't
> matter much in the world scene.. I can't remember, didn't they need to
have
> their bacon saved from germany?

> Gosh darn.. if it werent for america you twits wouldn't be posting on the
> internet for one thing, and the english would be speaking nazi german,
> course america isn't perfect, we got fast food, overweight population, and
> other things, but then again maybe we're just too nice for our own good.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 28 May 2002 18:56:59

Quote:> there is NO excuse for racism.

But noone was ever racist...  Not even a little bit!   You were though!

So I guess there's NO excuse for you.

Quote:> yes so you keep saying toss
> however you seem unable to grasp something that is so simple
> so lets try again

> I DO NOT DEFEND SOFTWARE PIRATES- PIRACY IS ILLEGAL AND WRONG

Dood, I lurk on all kinds of pirate MLs and NGs...  I save all
messages....   I can pull in the proof if you want me to.

Quote:> bu there is no excuse for racism , you were racist to matt because he asked
> for something he shouldnt have.

In your fantasy...

Quote:> sorry but just because matt is a priate does that automatically make you a
> racist ?

Show me one post where I was racist to anyone.

You can't.  So what is it that you are doing?  Just anoying people
who would shew away the pirate scum.   That's defending pirates in
my book.

Quote:> the question is this toss -

> if matt was american would you still be racist towards him even though he
> was a pirate ?????

> i dont think

You sure got that right!

Quote:> you would - so lets try to get this clear ....

> I AM NOT DEFENDING PIRATES

Yes you are.  Actually you're just being a jerk...

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Neil Mac » Tue, 28 May 2002 19:01:27

so when you and toss started *ing to matt about the fact that he couldnt
speak fluent english
what would you call that ?

yes its rude but its also racist...
i.e - you singled matt out to make fun of him because where he was from and
the laguage that he spoke..

sorry but i dont agree with that

there is not excuse for what you and toss posted...

NONE::

p.s i am not defending piracy - i am attacking biggots.....

if only you knew the difference

Quote:> > yes so you keep saying toss
> > however you seem unable to grasp something that is so simple
> > so lets try again

> Oh, this from the guy who can't figure out what racism is.

> > I DO NOT DEFEND SOFTWARE PIRATES- PIRACY IS ILLEGAL AND WRONG

> Sure you do.  You are defending a software pirate so, ergo, you're
defending
> him...

> > bu there is no excuse for racism , you were racist to matt because he
> asked
> > for something he shouldnt have.

> No, he wasn't racist, he was rude.

> > sorry but just because matt is a priate does that automatically make you
> > racist ?

> Why are you answering the question which you seem to be the only one
asking?
> I think you're a nazi, because you're rude to tess... yep that makes you a
> stinking white supremacist nazi.

> So, because I just said that, does it mean it's true?

> > the question is this toss -

> > if matt was american would you still be racist towards him even though
he
> > was a pirate ?????

> Of course. I'd like to castrate the little * myself.  Software pirates
> shouldn't breed.

> > i dont think you would - so lets try to get this clear ....

> > I AM NOT DEFENDING PIRATES
> > I AM DEFENDING PEOPLE WHO YOU  AND*LIGHT HAVE BEEN RACIST TOWARD ...

> > there is NO excuse for racism.
> > None.

> There's also no excuse for idiots like you who keep saying "racism" when
> there hasn't been any racism displayed in this whole thread, other than
you
> and your mis-informed understanding of the word.

All Lightwave Music Video

Post by Tesselato » Tue, 28 May 2002 19:02:23

> > strange that someone so perfect could be so childish and racist and bigot
> > like at the same time.

> Reality check please... you're such a poodle..

A poodle???  Hahahahaha!

Neil!  Come boy!  Come!

Sit Neil!  Sit!

    Bad dog!!!